A horse-crazy British mom has enjoyed the benefits of IVF twice — in both human and equine forms.
Katherine James, whose 8-year-old twin daughters were conceived using the method, turned to veterinarian fertility experts to breed a pair of twin foals she hopes her kids will ride when they are teenagers.
“It’s twin foals for my twin girls,” says James, 47, of Cardiff, Wales.
The keen show jumper used frozen semen from her former champion mount Veni Vidi Vici to artificially inseminate a mare belonging to daughters, Daisy and Isabelle, named Back in the Black.
Then the embryos created a month apart were transferred into surrogate mares.
Daisy’s bay colt Vinvictory, was born on May 6 with Isabelle’s chestnut girl, Vinabelle, arriving exactly a month later.
James was motivated to select IVF because it was much cheaper than buying two identical top quality competition horses — at a cost of around $120,000 each — when her daughters outgrow their current ponies.
“We had to have the foresight to produce our own,” she says. “We couldn’t afford $240,000 – we’d need two of them.”
James adds that the girls are very competitive, good at horse jumping for their age and aren’t going to give up the sport in a few years.
“I bred them [the foals] having in mind that they would be ready for both girls aged 14 or 16.”
It is hoped the foals will grow into 4-foot-10-inch ponies — the ideal height for jumping — by that time.
As for Daisy and Isabelle, they were conceived after James and her husband, Steve Wright, battled infertility for three years. The couple sought help from an IVF clinic in Las Vegas — using James’ eggs and Wright’s sperm — and successfully delivered fraternal twins Daisy and Isabelle nine months later.
The practice of IVF is becoming increasingly common for families like them — just without the horses. Earlier this month, a woman in China gave birth to twin brothers — 10 years apart. According to social-media posts from the Hubei Maternal and Child Health Hospital, the woman identified only as Ms. Wang delivered a healthy baby boy who, along with her older son born a decade earlier, was created through IVF. The brothers were conceived as a batch of embryos in 2009 using the same sperm and eggs.
Meanwhile, top Manhattan fertility clinic CCRM Fertility NY said in March that it had been inundated with women rushing to get their eggs harvested and frozen in preparation for IVF because of the coronavirus. Patients contacted the center because they were fearful about what the potentially deadly contagion could do to them, their eggs and embryos and their partners’ sperm, which they wanted collected at rapid pace.
Kim Kardashian West may soon be the real billionaire in…
Source: Newzandar News
- Match Day 6: Three key Premier League matches to watch this weekendOctober 24, 2020The Premier League match enters week six as we look forward to mouthwatering games at the weekend. Chelsea would take on Manchester United, the same ...[Read more]
- Nadia Buari sympathies with Nigerian over #EndSARS protestOctober 24, 2020Ghanaian actress who has played many roles in Nollywood movies, Nadia Buari has sent her words of sympathies and encouragement to the Nigerians who ...[Read more]
- Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde asks Nigerians for forgiveness over Lekki Protest commentOctober 24, 2020Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde has retracted and requested for Nigerians forgiveness for the uncaring comment she made on her Twitter page following the ...[Read more]
- “IF YOU EVER GET TIRED,LEARN TO REST NOT QUIT”, Somadina motivates fansOctober 24, 2020Popular Nigerian actor and ex-lover of Nigerian billionaire’s wife Regina Daniels, Somadina Adinma has taken to social media to motivate his fans and ...[Read more]
- See what Davido’s new post that got fans talkingOctober 24, 2020Nigerian singer and songwriter Davido has taken to social media to reveal his belief. Even though some people believe that God does not exist, the ...[Read more]
- EndSARS protesters have reportedly set ablaze the statue of the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe at Awka, See whyIn EndSARSOctober 24, 2020Angry EndSARS protesters have reportedly set ablaze the statue of pioneer President of Nigeria, the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe at Denis Memorial Grammar ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko Lament over the current state of NigeriaOctober 24, 2020Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko has taken to social media to lament over Nigeria being a fail country because of bad leaders. Destiny Etiko The ...[Read more]
- Please stay at home if you don’t have any need to go outside, BBNaija Wathoni advises LagosiansIn BBNaijaOctober 24, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Wathoni has advised citizens to stay at home if they do not have anything to do outside. Wathoni The Lagos state government ...[Read more]
- Arsenal vs Leicester City: Arteta provides update on Willian, Ceballos, othersIn SportsOctober 24, 2020Arsenal boss, Mikel Arteta, has provided the latest update on Willian and Dani Ceballos ahead of his side’s Premier League clash with Leicester City ...[Read more]
- Manchester United vs. Chelsea: Three significant points ahead of the weekend showdownIn SportsOctober 24, 2020Manchester United would lock horns with Frank Lampard’s side as the Premier League gets hot by the day. The match will be laden with expectations as ...[Read more]