Presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu has slammed the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for criticizing President Buhari over the use of the federal executive council (FEC) chamber for the conduct of the national executive committee (NEC) meeting of the All Progressive Congress (APC).
Kola Ologbondiyan, PDP spokesman had described the president’s action “as the height of corruption as well as a desecration of the sanctity of the seat of power and our national values” in a statement released on Friday June 25.
However reacting to PDP’s statement on Sunday June 28, Garba Shehu stated that no one can choose or dictate where President Buhari can hold his meeting. He also insisted that the meeting was virtual and not a physical meeting.
Garba Shehu said;
“The stubborn opinion held by the critics of the administration is that President Muhammadu Buhari had called a political meeting in the ‘hallowed’ chamber of the federal executive council as if there is a law that says the President is barred from holding meetings in certain sections of the vast Presidential Villa.
“Since the President lives in the Villa, no one can, legally speaking, choose or dictate to him where he can sit to hold meetings. So, what is wrong in the President presenting himself before a camera and a TV screen in a digital conference at a given location within the Villa?
“Just for the sake of the argument, this meeting, we say emphatically, was not convened at the Council Chamber. It was virtual, not a physical meeting,” he said.
“Why was it a virtual meeting? The idea was to observe social distancing in view of health concerns. Knowing how small the conference hall of the party is, social distancing would only have been observed in the breach.
“President Buhari was billed to address the meeting from his office (just any of his offices) and chose the council chamber where the digital facilities are located, and other members, including the bulk of national executive committee members, state party leaders and members of the national assembly were all linked using video conference calls. You saw them all on TV.
“Yes, it is true that governors and leaders of the national assembly joined the president from the chamber from where he spoke. But the larger body of the members in attendance were all connected via video calls.
“Do not forget that these are not the normal times in view of the COVID-19 circumstances in which we have found ourselves. President Buhari placed health and safety above courtesy to the party by not going to its headquarters.
“In the end, a wise thing had been done because the president wants to curtail the spread of the coronavirus disease.”
Source: Linda Ikeji’s Blog
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via WhatsApp: +2348034798719. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- Do You Know That Hushpuppi Has Two Children ?. Meet Daisy, One Of Hushpuppi’s Beautiful Babymamas
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- 20-Year-Old Groundnut Seller And Rape Victim Gives Birth To Triplets (Photos)
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- Kogi security trust fund boss dies
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- YAWA! “I Don Make 6 Girls Cry This Year, My Target Na 20” Man Plans To Take Revenge On Other Ladies For what His Girlfriend Did To Him
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Seth Meyers insists Ghislaine Maxwell wasn’t busted in his NH hometown
- Can Lea Michele’s ‘mean girl’ behavior be forgiven?
- FG targets $25bn from aviation sector, says Sirika
- Nigeria Loses Former Ambassador To Togo, Okobi
- Inter Milan Complete €40m Hakimi Signing From Real Madrid
- Cat miraculously survives 12 minutes in washing machine during hot cycle
- Why we cannot expose Boko Haram sponsors – Nigerian Army
- White woman pulls gun on black woman, daughter during parking lot argument
- Edo 2020: PDP optimistic about future of the party with Obaseki as flagbearer
- NYPD releases images of suspect in slashing of 2-year-old boy
- Coronavirus and Nigerian politicians: Infections, recoveries, and deaths
- Italian marines ‘entitled to immunity’ in 2012 shooting of Indian fishermen, Hague court rules — Warritatafo
- Ize-Iyamu calls for violence-free election, wishes Obaseki God’s abundant blessings
- Reps ask Army to release wife of Soldier who spoke out against Security chiefs
- COVID-19: Ekiti warns traders against displaying goods on road medians
- ‘The Great’ Renewed for Season 2 at Hulu
- Koeman moves into Barcelona as Setien faces sack
- ‘The Challenge 35’: Johnny ‘Bananas’ Devenanzio Allegedly Flirted With Jenny West Throughout the Season
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana Both Wanted to Call Off the Wedding — So Why Did They Get Married?
- Who Is Claudia Conway? 5 Things To Know About Kellyanne’s Daughter – Warritatafo
- City to find out Champions League ban fate July 13
- WWE star Kane, known for mask, votes against mask mandate as mayor
- Formula One mogul Bernie Ecclestone becomes a father again at 89
- De Blasio calls budget process ‘thoughtful’ after it was ripped by Dermot Shea
- Gospel singer, Sammie Okposo and wife celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary (Photo)
- These massive sharks have teeth on their eyeballs
- 2023: I’m not part of new National Consultative Front – Olisa Agbakoba
- NBA will spend over $150 million on restart in Orlando
- Rep. Nadler cruises to expected Democratic primary win
- Video: Timo Werner reveals why he rejected Liverpool, Man Utd for Chelsea