Asia’s largest mixed martial arts promotion, One Championship, will return behind closed doors in Thailand next month after a five-month break because of the coronavirus, officials said on Monday.
One, which promotes cards across the region in mixed martial arts, Muay Thai and kickboxing, last put on a major show at the end of February.
The Singapore-based company has since cancelled several events and slashed 20 percent of staff, although it has also revealed a $70 million funding boost from institutional investors.
With virus outbreaks slowing in many parts of Asia, the company said its flagship events would restart with an event without fans in the Thai capital Bangkok on July 31.
“Most national borders remain closed in Asia, and this has posed unique logistical and operational challenges,” One’s CEO Chatri Sityodtong said.
The first three major bouts of the “One: No Surrender” event have been confirmed.
Among fighters taking part are ONE flyweight Muay Thai world champion Rodtang “The Iron Man” Jitmuangnon, Petchdam “The Baby Shark” Petchyindee Academy, and “The Boxing Computer” Yodsanklai IWE Fairtex.
One had already put on fights in its Hero series, feeder events for the main championship, in China in June, before deciding to resume major shows.
The US-based Ultimate Fighting Championship on May 10 became one of the first sports to restart post-coronavirus.
UFC has so far successfully put on six shows in tightly controlled environments in Jacksonville, Florida, and Las Vegas.
Source: Vanguard News
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via WhatsApp: +2348034798719. Email: email@example.com.
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- Toyin Abraham reveals her husband fainted when their son was delivered
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- “Dating a yahoo boy is the most dangerous thing any girl should indulge in” – Lady narrates how her boyfriend almost used her for money ritual in Asaba
- Victor Osuagwu’s daughter shares her father’s epic reply after she told him “I love you”
- Kanu has been vindicated by Magu’s suspension — IPOB
- Actress Kelly Preston dead from breast cancer, husband John Travolta reveals
- Jason Oppenheim getting hundreds of resumés after ‘Selling Sunset’
- BFFs Oprah Winfrey and Gayle King reunite after months apart
- COVID-19 Deaths: South Africa overtakes Egypt as Nigeria remains among top list
- Texas dog first animal in state confirmed to have coronavirus
- Bitcoin scammers have reportedly swiped $24M this year
- Chris Russo couldn’t resist WFAN jab while mocking ESPN Radio change
- Why Texas coronavirus death toll may be higher than officially reported
- NYPD cop tasers Black Lives Matter protester during Bay Ridge clash
- Ivory Coast Vice President, Daniel Kablan Duncan, quits
- How auto water sprinkler system doused WTC fire ― Ibukun Adeogun
- Minimum Wage: Rights Commission begs staff to shelve strike
- Solskjaer says will keep faith with De Gea
- Justin Trudeau says he discussed Black Lives Matter movement with Trump
- Yankees teammates thought outcast was a ‘serial killer’
- Ivory Coast Vice President Daniel Kablan Duncan resigns, days after Prime Minister’s death
- Coronavirus resurgence prompts Hong Kong Disneyland shutdown — again
- Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms joins Gov. Cuomo’s coronavirus briefing
- Sudan hands out cash to ease economic crunch
- ‘Glee’ Star Naya Rivera’s Body Found in California Lake
- Will Smith appears to allude to Jada Pinkett Smith split in resurfaced video
- Giorgio Armani opens first Hamptons pop-up shop
- Champions League Ban: Man City’s £9m fine to be shared among Man Utd, Chelsea, others
- During my tenure, we tackle corruption, saved billions of dollars ― Okonjo-Iweala
- ‘Scooby-Doo’ Writer James Gunn Reveals Velma Was Originally “Explicitly Gay”
- Akpabio vs Nunieh: Fani-Kayode tells Presidency to investigate allegations
- LA teachers union wants more money by defunding the police, calls for medicare for all
- Megan Thee Stallion hangs with Jordyn Woods’ ex-BFF Kylie Jenner
- AU-ECOSOC lauds Ooni over move to hold NEEBS Expo 2020
- Naya Rivera confirmed dead after her body is found at Lake Piru
- Body found in Lake Piru where Naya Rivera went missing