…Oyo govt refutes allegation
…As late ex-gov is buried amid tight security
By Ola Ajayi & Deola Badru
WIFE of the former Governor of Oyo State, Mrs. Florence Ajimobi, yesterday, accused the Oyo State government of playing politics with her husband’s death.
She also accused Governor Seyi Makinde of not calling her or paying a condolence visit to her since the death of her husband last Thursday.
She said this on a day her husband’s remains were laid to rest amid tight security at his Oluyole residence at 10:05 am on yesterday.
Earlier, there was a heated controversy over where the former governor should be buried.
Vanguard gathered that the Oyo State Government was reportedly reluctant in allowing the Ajimobi family to bury the body at Agodi GRA due to a pending court case.
Ajimobi’s widow flays Oyo govt
The widow of the former governor advised the governor to avoid playing politics with the death of her husband.
Ajimobi said: “I read in the newspapers a few days ago that the governor of Oyo State, Mr. Seyi Makinde, claimed to call me and I didn’t pick up, he never visited Ajimobi’s family since my husband was admitted in the hospital, neither has he sent anyone nor sent us a message.
“I don’t have his contact and I have never spoken to him. Even if he called me and I didn’t pick up because of my mourning state, he could have sent me a message.
“Ajimobi’s family is not competing with him in any way, we are all working for the growth, development and progress of Oyo State, although our party might be different, we are working for the same goal.
“Do I need to send an official message to the governor to inform him about the death of my husband before he could send us a condolence message or pay us a condolence visit? It is not pleasant to hearings. What kind of politics are we playing?
“As a former public chief servant, who had assiduously served this state, he deserved some honours and not a show of shame when he had gone to rest. He never planned to go this soon; he could be anybody as no one knows the next moment.”
Ajimobi buried amid tight security
Earlier, the remains of the former governor were interred, yesterday, amid tight security.
The family had informed the general public that the remains of the former governor would be taken to his Oke-Ado mosque and his Oja-Oba family house.
But the story was different when Vanguard observed that some Islamic clerics, who performed the burial in Islamic rite, moved out of his house after the burial. Few journalists were allowed near the graveside of the former governor as part of the COVID-19 protocols.
At noon, prayers were later offered at the Senator Ishaq Abiola Ajimobi Mosque, Oke-Ado, Ibadan
Clerics at the burial included Alhaji Kunle Saani, Sheik Muideen Bello, Chief Imam of Ibadan land, Shik Abubakri Abdleganiyu Agbotomokekere, among others.
Fayemi, Ganduje, Bagudu, Abubakar pay tribute
Meanwhile, chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum, Governor Kayode Fayemi, paid a condolence visit to the family of the former governor.
Speaking on behalf of the governors, Fayemi, sympathised and prayed with the family to Almighty God for the repose of the deceased soul.
Other governors, who visited include Umar Ganduje (Kano), Abubakar Bagudu (Kebbi) and Badaru Abubakar (Jigawa).
Burial still in line with Islamic injunction
Some Islamic clerics have said burying Ajimobi four days after was still in line with Islamic injunction.
Speaking with Vanguard on the delay in the burial, an aide to the Chief Imam of Ibadan, AbdulFatai Alaga, said if there was an issue that delayed the burial, it could be put on hold but must not exceed the third day.
Another Islamic cleric, AbdulFatai Mohammed and Waheed Adebayo, noted that: “If the person died in the morning, he could be buried at 2 pm or 4 pm on that same day. But, if that person died at night or morning, he can be buried between 2 and 4 pm.”
Oyo govt denies allegations
Meanwhile, the Oyo State Government had denied insinuations that it was responsible for the delay in burying the immediate past governor.
The Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, indicated that the insinuations amounted to a wicked lie.
The statement read: “In view of the intense enquiries from news media organisations regarding the perceived delay in burying the late former Governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, the Oyo State Government wishes to place on record that there is no truth in the rumour making the rounds that the burial is being delayed by the state government.”
“The rumour, which is being deliberately spread to give the state government a bad name and to play undue politics with the dead, initially came by the way of social media gossip, which gained traction to attract the attention of traditional media outfits.
“Several media outfits reached out to the Media Office of the Governor of Oyo State to make enquiries on this barefaced lie on Saturday.
“Let it be stated clearly that the Governor of Oyo State, Engineer Seyi Makinde, has played no role at all in causing any delay whatsoever regarding the burial of his immediate predecessor, Senator Ajimobi.
“The truth of the matter is that the family, through a proxy, approached the state government and sought approval to bury the late governor on a plot of land at Agodi GRA, which is currently under litigation.
“Incidentally, it was the same former Governor Ajimobi who instituted the legal action.
“Governor Seyi Makinde had no choice than to state the facts as they are to the emissaries and turn down the request.
“Governor Makinde, however, against the established land use rule in Oyo State, gave approval that the family can bury the late governor in his Oluyole Estate residence.
“It is to be noted that the rules guiding land use in Government Reservation Areas (GRA) forbid the burial of bodies in such locations as Oluyole Estate and Agodi GRA.
“Let us also put on record that whereas the family did not follow the laid down protocols in passing information on the sickness and eventual demise of Senator Ajimobi, Governor Makinde overlooked all that and directed the full cooperation of the government with the family on this matter.
“It can only amount to a wicked lie to insinuate that the incumbent government in Oyo State attempted to obstruct the burial of the immediate past governor.”
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Nigerian boy who scattered his parents house explains what actually happened
- Wonder Shall Never End – Reactions as Photo Of A Lady who Bleached All Her Face But Left The Legs goes viral (PICS)
- Wild video shows woman steal pedestrian’s sneakers, strip naked in NYC
- Bukunmi Oluwasina Looks completely different in Kunle Afolayan’s Citation Movie (VIDEO)
- “There is nowhere we want to go” – Faithia Williams speaks on how she and Ex-Hsuband, Saidi Balogun meets and why she stops kissing or playing romantic movie roles (VIDEO)
- Funke Akindele gifts Pa James a new house after his house was wrecked by flood
- New Song: Tiwa Savage – Dangerous Love
- “Dr Anu showed me pepper” – Botched surgery survival, Omohtee shares her story
- “My Blessing” – Segun Ogungbe’s 2nd Wife, Wunmi Ajiboye says as she Shares Photos of her first son carrying Their Newborn Baby (PICS)
- Man builds a portable mansion after being homeless for 4 years, shares inspiring story (Photos)
- Hot Music: Saido Pee – Hello God (Prod. By Smart)
- Residents Panic over white substance seen at Anthony village in Lagos (Video)
- Erigga – “AYEME” ft. Yungzee [Video + Audio]
- ‘Jersey Shore’ Star Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi’s Daughter Can Make This 1 Iconic Face Perfectly
- “Jesus did not destroy a single shrine” – Daddy Freeze frowns at demolition of church of Satan in Abia
- Daddy Freeze frowns at the demolition of a shrine & the arrest of its founder in Abia State
- Man who was homeless for 4 years finally becomes a House-owner, shares inspiring story
- Hushpuppi has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 in prison – Kemi Olunloyo
- Judge transfers suit seeking to nullify APC NEC meeting
- Jodie Comer’s Alleged Boyfriend Has Fans Livid Because He Seems To Be a Trump Supporter
- UPDATE: There was no snow in Anthony Village Lagos, govt reveals what happened
- Girl pretends to sleep after she’s caught stealing snacks
- BREAKING: Nigerian govt postpones school resumption, 2020 WASSCE indefinitely
- Daddy Freeze Condemns Demolition Of Church Of Satan in Abia State
- Ivory Coast Prime Minister Coulibaly dies aged 61
- Rob Shares Sweet Daughter Photo – Warritatafo
- Prime Suspect actor John Benfield dies aged 68
- Patrick Mahomes’ NFL Mega-Contract Could Actually Cost Him Money in the Long Run
- She is always on her phone and it makes me jealous- Husband of lady who shared ‘suicidal posts’ on Facebook says
- LASG empowers 300 victims of Abule-Egba pipeline explosion
- Will Smith opens up about racist treatment he’s received
- US coronavirus cases soar past 3 million mark
- US tourist accused of fatally stabbing Rome cop says he was beaten in custody
- Rob Kardashian Looking For Romance After Dramatic Weight Loss – Warritatafo
- “My family is dead to me” Boy filmed destroying his parents’ home because his mom refused to meet his demands speaks up (video)
- NYCFC back in action in second game of ‘MLS is Back’ tourney
- Alex Pullin dead – Australian Olympian dies in spearfishing accident
- Witness in Trump’s impeachment retires from military amid pressure
- Netflix Has Cancelled Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Series
- #Coronavirus: Public spending on crisis soars to £190bn
- Osinbajo never received N4billion from Magu ― Akande
- Schools not re-opening anytime soon — FG
- ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’: More on How the Show Will Coordinate Its Intimate Scenes During the Pandemic
- Total Madness’ To Save Cory – Warritatafo
- Why Fall Out Boy Removed a Line About Britney Spears From a Song
- President Buhari replaces Akpabio , one other non-career Ambassador designate
- Nigeria records 406 fresh cases of COVID-19. Death toll now 684
- Gov. Diri commends FG over fire fighting assets deployment
- NYC to start painting Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower
- ‘Parks and Recreation’: Is Amy Poehler’s Leslie Knope a Trust Fund Baby? Fans Are Convinced
- How Kim Kardashian West Is Related to George W. Bush by Blood
- Florida men busted for selling bleach as ‘miracle’ coronavirus cure
- NYC parents outraged over decision for ‘blended’ learning in schools
- Denise Richards & Aaron Fight With Erika & Teddi — Recap – Warritatafo
- Champion Breweries returns to profitability as costs reduce