By Chris Ochayi
The Electricity Distribution Companies, DISCOs, said yesterday that they have resolved to continue with the implementation of the upward review of the electricity tariff slated to take off on July 1, 2020, despite unusual silence from the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, over the issue.
The DISCOs in a statement by their umbrella body, the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors, ANED, signed by its Executive Director of Research and Advocacy, Barr. Sunday Oduntan, in Abuja, however expressed surprise over the action of the sector’s regulatory agency
Oduntan said the companies decried the recent attempt by their regulatory body, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, to distance itself from the July 1 commencement of a new service-based electricity tariff regime.
He said: “We are in a regulated sector. We cannot take a decision about a very critical aspect of the sector like tariff without a nod from the regulator, NERC.
“However, what has happened in recent days is that our regulator is warning us not to mention their name or the Federal Government in any of our communication about the tariff increase with our customers. This is certainly very unfair. “Many stakeholders have expressed their concern at the unusual silence of our regulator, NERC on the upcoming increase and it looks like a unilateral decision by the DISCOs.
“We’ll like to inform Nigerians that tariff review, upward or downwards, is the primary responsibility of NERC as our regulator. We are required to submit our proposals and they have the final say.
“Hence we were surprised to receive a letter from NERC to all the DISCOs warning them not to mention their name or that of the Federal government in any public communications on tariffs”.
“While it is our obligation to communicate the increase, it is also important for customers to know that it is following standard processes of tariff adjustments in the sector with approvals from NERC and the FG.
“As DISCOs, we believe in the rule of law. We will only carry out lawful approval and instructions by our regulator.
“The proposed increase and the timing of the increase in tariffs was done by NERC. It is their statutory responsibility. DISCOs alone cannot fix and approve electricity tariffs”.
“We are very sensitive to the feelings and yearnings of our customers during this period of COVID-19”.
“To demonstrate our sensitivity, Nigerians will recall that the DISCOs, in conjunction with the National Assembly came out to suggest a two-month free electricity supply for our residential customers but the proposal was not approved by the Federal Government due to paucity of funds occasioned by the reduction of national incomes from sales of crude oil. “The fact that the action is deliberately made to look unilateral is capable of creating public resistance, effectively setting DISCOs up to fail.
‘’All DISCOs had started communicating the new tariff regime, set to take effect from July 1, 2020, since last week. The communication were geared at enlightening customers about the details of the service based tariff increase to ensure customers were fully aware about how it pertained to them and the supply band they fall under.
“The truth is that we are the public facing arm of the sector, but what we collect is shared by everybody, including NERC.
“Our interest is in the nurturing of a commercially viable power sector. Political considerations and bickering will certainly not take us there.”
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- “Ole Ni Everybody” Naira Marley Mocks EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu Over His DSS’ Arrest
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- Dj Cuppy bags an endorsement deal with Platoon Music
- Rob Kardashian Is All Smiles During 4th Of July Party With Pals After Debuting Weight Loss
- “He is my best friend” – Mo Bimpe opens up on wedding to Lateef Adedimeji
- Imo community protests incessant killing of farmers
- NIDCOM reacts to the viral video of a Nigerian man who was tortured and threatened to be killed by Pakistani drug baron’s his brother ripped off
- Bus driver beaten by passengers refusing to wear face masks left brain dead
- WAEC lists requirements for conduct of exams in Africa
- Reps probe illegal withdrawals from NLNG by NNPC
- UN slams US drone killing of Qassem Soleimani as ‘unlawful’
- See Why Magu was removed
- Tonto Dikeh Reacts To Photo shop Picture Of Her, Bestie
- Nigerians react to suspension of Ibrahim Magu by President Buhari
- Meghan Markle Didn’t Like Being No. 2 to Kate Middleton and Not Getting the Attention ‘She Deserved’ Before Royal Exit, Source Alleges
- 52-year-old woman, Rolanda Rochelle photos go viral on the Internet
- Lakers saved ‘very depressed’ JR Smith after NBA gave up on him
- China’s national security law for Hong Kong aims to block global criticism
- COVID-19: WHO gives latest update on Nigeria, South Africa, others
- City Won’t Win Treble With These Mistakes – Guardiola
- Bryson DeChambeau favored to win all three golf majors amid jaw-dropping surge
- ‘The Umbrella Academy’ Star Tom Hopper Always Has These Foods in His Kitchen
- BREAKING: Reopen all churches now – CAN warns Governors
- TECNO Wraps Up Spark 5 Talent Hunt, Giving Away 1 Million Naira
- Magu probe: Nobody is above scrutiny ― Presidency
- UK pedophile who raped baby, shared sick video online gets 18 years in prison
- Was BTS’ ‘Stay Gold’ Inspired by ‘the Outsiders?’
- Cassie Randolph speaks out on Colton Underwood breakup
- Hilary Swank Goes to Mars in Netflix’s ‘Away’ Teaser Trailer
- Tokyo Vanity Twerks In Sexy Black Outfit — Watch – Warritatafo
- Two conjoined twins separated successfully in Italy
- ‘The Guest’ Perfectly Weaponizes the Spellbinding Niceness of Dan Stevens
- Buhari sends names of 11 nominees to Senate for confirmation as Judges [Full list]