Shina Abubakar – Osogbo
There was palpable apprehension in Ikire town, headquarters of Irewole Local Government Council Area of Osun State as a High Court sitting in the town delivers judgement on the faith of Akire of Ikire, Oba Olatunde Falabi.
The stool has been a subject of litigation for over two decades and has been to the Supreme Court.
As at 10 am on Monday, armed and unarmed policemen were stationed at strategic places including the palace in Ikire and court premise.
Prince Tajudeen Olarewaju of Aketula ruling House has filed a suit against the installation of the monarch on the ground that he was not entitled to the throne as at the time he was installed based on the 1958 Akire Chieftaincy Declaration.
The legal tussle on Akire of Ikire erupted after the demise of the late Akire, Oba Oseni Oyegunle on the 5th August 1987 and as at the time, according to legal advice from the Court of Appeal, Ibadan, the ruling houses entitled to the throne were in the order of, Aketula, Ladekan, Lambeloye, Disamu and Omisokan.
According to the legal advice dated, January 27, 1993, it showed that efforts to get the new Akire nominated from Aketula ruling house was frustrated by court action through injunction secured by Lambeloye ruling house which Oba Falabi belongs to the restraining government from implementing the 1958 Chieftain Declaration which placed Aketula to produce the next monarch for the town.
It was in the same legal advice that it was stated that if the Higher Court grant the appellant’s (Tajudeen Olanrewaju) request, the Akire, Oba Falabi would be deposed, but if the appeal fails, the monarch would retain the seat.
Subsequently, Prince Olanrewaju filed a suit which ran through to Supreme Court, where the highest court of the land agreed that Aketula ruling house was entitled to the throne.
In a copy of the judgement which Vanguard had a glimpse at, the highest court of the land held that “In view of the fact that evidence on record shows that the 1958 declaration in respect of Akire of Ikire Chieftaincy stool has not been amended or repealed, it subsist which means that there are five ruling houses in Ikire for which the appellant is one of them.
“Based on the above, and the more detailed reasons given in the lead judgment, I agree that the appeal has merit. I accordingly allow this appeal”, the judgment delivered by Justice John Inyang Okoro read.
Subsequently, Prince Olanrewaju of Aketula ruling house approached the High Court sitting in Osogbo in a suit he filed against the Governor of Osun, the State Attorney General and the State Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs.
In the suit, he sought an order of the court granting leave “to bring an application for judicial review to wit mandamus to compel the respondents to give legal and full compliance to the legal advice dated 27th January 1993 which was the instrument relied upon by the respondents to install the Akire of Ikre land particularly, Paragraph 16 of the referred legal advice which is yet to be given strict and full compliance.”
As at the time of filing this report, the judge is yet to sit but security operatives surrounded the court to curb any possible trouble within and around the High Court premises.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- See List of Properties Seized From Disgraced Nigerian Fraudster, Hushpuppi
- 10 Forbidden Places In The World You Are Not Allowed To Visit (Photos)
- Have You Heard About The “Temple of Pythons” in Benin: See Photos of How it Looks Like
- FBI Reveals The $15 Million Stolen By Woodberry From Two Chicago Based Company May Not Be Retrieved.. READ WHY
- Okunnu shares beautiful photos of her Daughter, Ayomide Who Just Completed High School in Canada
- See Why Patience Ozokwor Is Not Featuring In Movies Anymore
- Mide Martins reveals she didn’t marry Afeez Owo for his looks
- Adedimeji Lateef weds ‘girlfriend’ Adebimpe Oyebade…fans react (photos)
- Thanks For Taking Away My Virginity – 13-Year-Old Girl Tells Boyfriend As She Celebrates Him On His Birthday
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Actress in The World
- Makeup artist, Deborah Tushima allegedly slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party (PICS)
- Lady With Massive Behind Causes Stir On Facebook (Photos & Video) )
- Why Ajimobi’s Wife Denied Oyo Deputy gov Access to Husband’s 8th-day Fidau Prayer
- Adeniyi Johnson Shares Photos Showing How He And Wife, Seyi Edun, Behave When They Meet On Set (PICS)
- Ex-LASIMRA boss, Jide Odekunle, dies of COVID-19 complications in Lagos
- Kano Hisbah impound tricycle loaded with 100 cartons of alcohol
- Dubai Decide To Build An Underwater Floating Train. See photos
- Meet The Man That Exposed Hushpuppi And Woodberry to The FBI
- See Photo of Jaden Smith and his father will Smith that has got people talking (see screenshots)
- I Would Like To Marry Lyta’- IG Model, Coco Brown Tells Regina Daniels’ Ex, Somadina
- ‘Ned Dey Enjoy O’ – Social Media User Says After Seeing Ned’s Moroccan Wife’s Photo
- Actor Adedimeji Lateef marries his girlfriend Adebimpe Oyebade
- What Daniel Radcliffe ‘Got Away With’ While Filming ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend’
- Nigerian Musician, Skiibii Shows Off His New Mansion On His 28th Birthday (Photos)
- Kandi Burruss’ Husband Todd Begs Daughter Blaze To Say ‘Dada’ — Watch – Warritatafo
- #Coronavirus: 13 UK universities ‘could go bust without bailout’
- LASTMA officer commits suicide after stabbing his lover in Lagos
- Rip Van Winkle: reopening in one Long Island town
- Illegal weekend fireworks lit up Southern California, sparking several hundred blazes
- When Led Zeppelin Dove Into Samba on a Wild ‘In Through the Out Door’ Track
- ‘Survivor’ Season 45 Could Be Epic if the Producers Use This 1 Fan Theme and Cast
- Daughter of slain Finest Miosotis Familia remembers hero mom, asks for cop respect
- Princess Diana Had the ‘Best Vacation’ at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Colorado Home
- Photographer sets up blind date photo-shoot between man and woman who were meeting for the first time (Photo)
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 5’: Do Fans Believe Alexis Mateo or India Ferrah After the Snatch Game Episode?
- With vandalism and personal threats, protests have gone beyond ‘peaceful’
- How Did Demi Lovato and Her Boyfriend Max Ehrich Meet?
- Remember When Kylie Jenner and Jaden Smith Dated?
- Conte expects Inter players to be angry after Bologna defeat
- NFL training camp rules set high bar for players to return from coronavirus
- Judi Dench Reveals How Making Tik Tok Videos ‘Saved’ Her Life
- ‘Lost’ star Josh Holloway on why he joined cable hit ‘Yellowstone’
- Controversial Mom Farrah Abraham Revealed She Had the Sex Talk With Her 11-Year-Old Daughter
- Silva says Man City has no excuse for poor away form
- NYC tattoo shop says coronavirus is becoming sought-after ink design
- The British Royal Family Is ‘Very Distressed’ That Meghan Markle Felt Unprotected During Her Pregnancy, Expert Claims
- COVID-19: Madagascar places capital on lockdown as cases rise
- Mark Cuban Supports Kanye West For President Over Trump: Tweets – Warritatafo
- ‘Outer Banks’ Fans Appreciate the Show’s Ability to Tackle Tough Issues
- Does Uncle Ben from ‘Spider-Man’ Exist in the MCU? Fans Think It’s Unlikely
- Bianca Williams: Athlete accuses police of racial profiling after vehicle search
- ‘Friends’: Network Execs Insisted on Adding 7th Cast Member ‘Pat the Cop’ Until Writers Convinced Them to Kill the Role
- ’90 Day Fiancé’: A Leaked Casting Call Reveals That There May Be a New Spinoff in the Works
- ‘Supergirl’: Will Mon-El Return Now That Chris Wood’s Latest Project is Dead?
- Bryson DeChambeau flexes his new muscles to win at Rocket Mortgage