The UN’s top human rights official has condemned Israel’s plans to take over parts of the occupied West Bank, warning that the move would undermine peace efforts, and saying: “Annexation is illegal. Period.”
Michelle Bachelet, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and former president of Chile, described Israel’s annexation project as contrary to international law regardless of “whether it is 30 percent from the West Bank or 5 percent.” She urged Israel to halt its plans, warning that the shockwaves of such a move would “last for decades” and cause lasting damage for both sides. “This is a highly combustible mix. I am deeply concerned that even the most minimalist form of annexation would lead to increased violence and loss of life, as walls are erected, security forces deployed and the two populations brought into closer proximity.” The annexation would make official the de facto status of Jewish settlements in the West Bank, which are illegal under international law, and where more than 460,000 Jews live, according to census figures. Bachelet’s statement also warned that many Palestinians could experience difficulties in accessing and cultivating their own land after the seizure of West Bank areas by Israel. Furthermore, Palestinians living within the annexed territory would face additional challenges in accessing education, healthcare and humanitarian assistance.
Belgian parliament calls for EU SANCTIONS against Israel if it proceeds with West Bank annexation
The human rights chief said that an effort to annex any part of the occupied Palestinian territory will damage previous efforts to secure peace in the region, and is likely to “entrench, perpetuate and further heighten serious human rights violations that have characterized the conflict for decades.”Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government is pushing to extend Israeli sovereignty over Jewish settlements in the West Bank. His administration is expected to begin formal annexation procedures on Wednesday, despite criticism from the Palestinian leadership and foreign governments, especially Arab nations.
UN rights investigator says EU should punish any Israeli annexation in West Bank
Last week, Palestinian Islamist group Hamas said that the annexation would be considered a “declaration of war” and warned that Israel will pay an “unprecedented price” if it goes ahead with the plan. The UN has condemned the annexation plans as “unlawful” and “21st-century apartheid”, while expressing its regret over Washington’s support for the scheme. EU foreign policy chief Joseph Borrell has urged member states to work together to “discourage any possible initiative toward annexation.” The French government has warned of a possible “reprisal” against Israel if it goes ahead with the move. If you like this story, share it with a friend!
What will make you commit suicide?
- Message to Goodluck Jonathan: Assassins’ll attempt your life this year but’ll fail — Prophet Serimoedumu
- Otedola hosts DJ Cuppy, Temi and boyfriend, Mr Eazi in London (Video)
- Tijani Oniru, one of the sons of late Oba of Oniru attacked by “security men” (video)
- Top NYPD cops call for Manhattan DA Cy Vance to appear at shooting scenes
- ‘Putin’s limo brand’ Aurus sedan gets smashed in epic crash test — Warritatafo
- Nigeria records more COVID-19 cases as death toll rises to 645
- Watch Vanguard’s top stories in 60 seconds
- Davido’s cousin Adenike receives a Benz as graduation gift from her dad
- How Did Demi Lovato and Her Boyfriend Max Ehrich Meet?
- Remember When Kylie Jenner and Jaden Smith Dated?
- Two die in Anambra cult clash
- Bobrisky speaks Igbo, threatens to slap small boys who sends him DM professing their love(video)
- LASTMA officer commits suicide after stabbing his lover in Lagos
- Davido’s cousin, Adenike Adeleke, receives a Benz as graduation gift from her dad
- The Royal Family Was Alarmed by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Spending Habits, Source Reveals
- Some Rescued Chibok Girls Frustrated, Abandoned, Dropped Out Of School – MBF
- #Coronavirus: 13 UK universities ‘could go bust without bailout’
- Alleged poisoning: Family member reveals real cause of Deborah’s death
- Sergio Ramos Talks On Referees Assisting Real Madrid To Stay Top Of LA LIGA Table
- Conte expects Inter players to be angry after Bologna defeat
- Nigeria: Contribution of non-oil exports to economic growth
- The Rock Suffered a Tragic Loss With the Unexpected Death Of His Legendary Dad Rocky Johnson
- New York’s Republican Party needs to be ready for Democrats to screw up
- Why Did Jessica Capshaw Leave ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ as Arizona Robbins?
- Kendall Jenner Looks Like a ‘Mean Girl’ on Instagram
- Dope Grandpa! Veteran Actor Richard Mofe-Damijo Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today (PHOTOS)
- Do Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Want a Zoom Wedding?
- Jeopardy’ vs. ‘Wheel of Fortune’: Which Show Pays Contestants More?
- Hushpuppi: APC irresponsible, reckless, says PDP
- Duffield deaths: Estranged husband admits murdering wife and lover
- Veteran Nollywood Actor Richard Mofe- Damijo Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today
- Yakubu Dogara challenges the APC to prove he has any links with suspected International Fraudster, Hushpuppi
- EPL: Nemanja Matic signs new Manchester United contract, Solskjaer reacts
- ‘This Is Us’: 4 Times Randall’s Made Us Ugly Cry
- Don Jazzy Urges Nigerians To Be Careful When They Visit Barber Shop
- Osagie Ize-Iyamu, the flag-bearer of the (APC) in the Edo state Governorship Election denies the allegation he bathed a student with acid as an undergraduate at UNIBEN
- Saudi Arabia makes masks mandatory, bans gatherings during Hajj
- It is the height of irresponsibility to have children and then look for the money to cater for them – Reno Omokri
- ‘Jeopardy!’: Buzzy Cohen Doesn’t ‘See the Harm’ in Injecting ‘a Little Bit of Personality’ Into the Game
- Security guards shut UMTH over nonpayment of 4 months salaries
- 12-year-old boy, man killed, several injured in Brooklyn fire
- Ondo SSG resigns ahead of governorship election
- Mayorkun Discloses His Female Friend Inspired “Betty Butter” Song Featuring Davido
- Superstory TV Drama Commences New Story titled âREVENGEâ
- Nursing mother left with a swollen eye and a bleeding nose after she was battered by her husband in Lagos (video)
- 70-year-old man reportedly arrested for allegedly raping an eight-year-old girl in Minna, Niger State
- COVID-19 kill 177 in Lagos
- 70-year-old man Rapes 8-year-old Girl In Niger State, gives her N80
- Bisi Alimi says homosexuality was not a crime in Africa until the colonisers came and introduced Christianity
- Ghislaine Maxwell arrest: FBI reportedly almost blew cover by lying to neighbor
- ‘Batman Forever’ Was So ‘Awful’ That Even $15M Couldn’t Convince Michael Keaton to Reprise His DC Role
- Pregnant Nigerian woman questions her marriage after she discovered that her husband of 5-years is gay
- Ex-APC Vice Chairman, Inuwa Abdulkadir is dead
- Igbo Owe President Buhari Eternal Gratitude – Arthur Eze
- Some people think I won BBNaija 4 – Tacha