By Babajide Komolafe
Following the improved financial performance recorded in its financial year ended December 31, 2019, Unity Bank Plc said it is now positioned to increase lending activities and grow profitability.
The audited result and accounts for financial year ended December 31, 2019, of the lender showed despite the low yield environment during the period, it was able to improve on its total operating income and reduced operating expenses to boost profitability.
After 2017 balance sheet clean up, the bank reported improved balance sheet growth with increases in lending to customers and improved deposits.
The Executive Director, Finance & Operations at Unity Bank, Ebenezer Kolawole at a virtual media briefing recently expressed that the significant increase in total assets in the last three years is great achievement for the management and staff of the bank.
According to him, “The growth of about 40 per cent in total asset is a great achievement and we also need to look at the bank’s assets base in the last three years.
“In 2017, we closed with total assets of N134 billion. In 2018, it grew to N210 billion and in 2019, we reported N293 billion total assets.”
For the first time in the past five years, the bank declared gross earnings of N44.59 billion and N293 billion total assets, thereby consolidating on the gains on the reforms instituted by the Bank to grow a healthy balance sheet for the past two years.
The bank has improved on its lending to the real sector with over N100 billion granted as loans and advances to customers in 2019.
The solid financial performance for the period ended December 31, 2019, affirms Unity Bank as one of the leading banks in terms of resilience and a transformed bank amid a challenging business environment in Nigeria.
The 2019 results revealed a number of positive performances as the management continued to reposition its stands on value creation for shareholders and improved on lending to the real sector to support the federal government’s drive to revive the nation’s economy.
Reduction in OPEX, Increase in Total Operating Income Drive Profits
Unity Bank for the period under review reported 28.7 per cent increase in gross earnings to N44.59 billion in 2019 from N34.65 billion reported in 2018.
The bank interest income also increased by 21.8 per cent to N35.95 billion in 2019 from N29.5 billion in 2018, over increasing interest generated from loans and advances to customers that moved from N17.64 billion in 2018 to N21.89 billion reported in 2019. Also. interest generated from placement from other banks moved from N361 million in 2018 to N632 million reported in 2019.
More so, interest expense grew by 25 per cent to N19.45 billion in 2019 from N15.5 billion reported in 2018, even as attributed higher bank charges closed 2019 at N10.12billion in 2019 as against N7.7 billion reported in 2018.
Continuing the trend during the year, Net interest Income was stronger in 2019, gaining 18.1 per cent to N16.49 billion in 2019 from N13.97 billion in 2018.
In terms of fees generated from banking operations, the lender reported N4.98 billion net fee and commission income in 2019 from N2.3 billion reported in 2018, an increase of 11.3 per cent.
The Bank improved on its Electronic transactions amid gaining more customers and rolling out more ATMs and POS at strategic locations across the country.
Kolawole explained that “in agriculture, we have over 1.5 million farmers in our primary production that banked with us and the number continued to grow as we speak.”
For the year under review, Unity Bank reported a 31.5 per cent increase in total operating income to N25.13 billion in 2019 from N19.11 billion reported in 2018.
On the cost side, total Operating Expenses (Opex) dropped by 5.5 per cent to N19.6 billion, as against N20.7 billion in 2018, which is below average inflation rate within the period, a reflection of cost-efficiency gains.
The Bank had embarked on several cost minimization initiatives that have continued to yield positive results as personal expenses dropped to N9.43 billion in 2019 from N9.98 billion reported in 2018 while other operating expenses moved to N8.37 billion in 2019 from N9.35 billion in 2018.
Kolawole speaking on cost said, “We have tried to reduce our cost because that is within our control. We have tried to make sure we do not have any waste at all. We make sure where our money is going to, money is coming back to the bank.
“This has contributed to improved cost to income ratio of Unity bank and it has helped us showcase our impressive 2019 financial year performance.”
Notwithstanding the challenging business environment in Nigeria, the Bank’s Profit Before Tax was impressive at N3.64 billion, compared to a loss of N7.55 billion reported in the 2018 financial year.
Furthermore, the Profit After Tax closed positive in 2019, reporting N3.38 billion in 2019 compared to a loss of N7.7 billion reported in 2018.
Source: Vanguard News
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via WhatsApp: +2348034798719. Email: email@example.com.
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- “Ole Ni Everybody” Naira Marley Mocks EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu Over His DSS’ Arrest
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Nigerian Foreign Exchange Traders Lament Over Naira’s Devaluation
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro tests positive for Covid-19 — Warritatafo
- Lil Dicky Admits He Still ‘Feels Pressure’ to Release Music Even Though He Has His Own Show
- ‘Counting On’: Jinger Duggar Posts the Sweetest Family Photo to Mark 20 Weeks Pregnant
- DeShaun Watson doesn’t want the Patrick Mahomes contract from Texans
- Alleged N700m fraud: I am sick – Edo APC candidate, Ize-Iyamu tells court
- Thandie Newton Says Tom Cruise’s Huge Zit Was the Real ‘Mission: Impossible’
- 2023 Presidency: Ndigbo should exercise caution ― Minister
- ‘RHONY’: Dorinda Medley’s Home Is the First Place Carole Radziwill Visits After Quarantine
- Nigerian Lady narrates how God gave her a second chance after she survived an accident, shares pictures of rods and screws fixed into her leg
- New Jersey primary candidate sues to remove party lines on ballots
- 14 bodies recovered from River Benue after sunday’s boat mishap
- Josh Brolin and wife Kathryn Boyd expecting second child together
- Why Baker Mayfield, wife Emily celebrated on Patrick Mahomes’ contract day
- Claps Back After He Slams Him For Drake Diss – Warritatafo
- “Most entertainers are broke, Covid-19 has shown who saved for raining day”- Rapper Illbliss
- Johnny Depp testifies that Amber Heard may have once defecated in their bed
- Why Did Jay-Z and Beyoncé Skip Out on Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s Wedding?
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus
- Edo 2020: Obaseki ‘ll be shocked at outcome of election ― Ganduje
- Car speeds away with protester on hood after alleged lynching attempt in Indiana
- Madonna, 61, poses topless in mirror selfie
- EFCC: More details on Magu’s probe emerge
- Enough Is Enough, Reopen All Churches Now — CAN Urges Lagos, Others
- The Song From ‘Hamilton’ That Was Inspired By a Lot of Beatles Songs
- Paris Jackson gets candid about self-harm and depression
- Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro announces he’s tested positive for Coronavirus but says he feels ‘perfectly well’ and has only mild symptoms
- President Buhari makes new appointments,See categories
- #Coronavirus: Majority testing positive have no symptoms
- Ondo: APC label resignation of Dep. Gov, SSG from party as unreasonable
- Country singer Lindsay Ell reveals she was raped at 13 and 21 years old