The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, has said that whistleblowers are only paid their commissions for recovered funds and not for just exposing suspected looted funds.
Malami came out to make this clarification while reacting to a letter by one Aliyu Lemu, Esq. purportedly written on June 22 on issues revolving around the payment of a whistleblower’s fees.
Lemu in his letter which went viral over the weekend, claimed his client, John Okupurhe, had exposed $1billion (over N387billion) hidden in a bank by a Federal Government agency to the office of the Attorney General and was told that he will be paid a commission of the money if it is credible.
“Upon establishing that our client’s information qualified under the whistle-blower policy, the Office of the AGF signed a whistle-blower agreement with our client through his appointed counsel – Mamman, Maiyaki & Co.
The information provided by our client eventually led to the exposure of the hidden/concealed funds in Unity Bank Plc to the tune of $1,034,515, 000.”
Lemu in his letter, claimed the Office of the AGF had not honored its part of the deal.
However, in a statement released by his media aide, Dr Umar Gwandu, the AGF stated that Whistleblowers are only paid their Commission when the suspected looted funds have been recovered.
“The Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice wants to make it categorically clear that one does not get payment on account of exposing looted assets, but on successful recovery and lodgment of same into the designated assets recovery account at the Central Bank of Nigeria,” he said
According to the Minister, the recovery of such funds is not only about exposing the existence of certain assets in an account purported to have belonged to an agency of the government.
“It is about establishing that the funds in the account are looted assets or illegitimately warehoused and following that up with actual recovery and lodgment of the funds in the designated Asset recovery account through judicial and extra judicial means.
Entitlement to recovery fees is for all intent and purposes contingent on lodgment of the purported/exposed assets constituting the subject of recovery into the Federal Government Recovery designated Account.
This account is maintained at the instance of the President at the Central Bank of Nigeria and the details of the account are contained in the engagement letter.
The agreed remuneration shall become due and payable to the whistle-blower within thirty (30) days of the receipt of the recovered/looted funds by the Federal Government of Nigeria and payment shall be made to the designated/nominated account provided in writing by the whistle-blower.
If the whistleblower in the circumstances of this case feels strongly that there is any claim of wrong doing associated with the alleged claim relating to recovery process, the whistle-blower should consider lodging a complaint with the relevant institutions of his choice for the matter to be properly investigated and or consider a judicial redress in the alternative”.
The statement went on to enumerate the procedure for the engagement of a whistleblower or recovery agent as it relates to the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation
“A Proposal is submitted to the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation, a Letter of Engagement is issued to a whistleblower or recovery agent where the disclosure is assessed to have some prospects of success.
The recovery agent or whistleblower is expected to notify in writing the acceptance of the engagement.
The recovery agent or whistleblower is expected, upon acceptance, to not only trace the assets but recover same and have it deposited in a designated asset recovery account maintained by the federal government in the Central Bank which is usually provided to the recovery agent in writing”.
Source: Linda Ikeji’s Blog
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via WhatsApp: +2348034798719. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- “Ole Ni Everybody” Naira Marley Mocks EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu Over His DSS’ Arrest
- Dj Cuppy bags an endorsement deal with Platoon Music
- Bryson DeChambeau favored to win all three golf majors amid jaw-dropping surge
- ‘The Umbrella Academy’ Star Tom Hopper Always Has These Foods in His Kitchen
- BREAKING: Reopen all churches now – CAN warns Governors
- Magu probe: Nobody is above scrutiny ― Presidency
- UK pedophile who raped baby, shared sick video online gets 18 years in prison
- Was BTS’ ‘Stay Gold’ Inspired by ‘the Outsiders?’
- Cassie Randolph speaks out on Colton Underwood breakup
- Hilary Swank Goes to Mars in Netflix’s ‘Away’ Teaser Trailer
- Tokyo Vanity Twerks In Sexy Black Outfit — Watch – Warritatafo
- Two conjoined twins separated successfully in Italy
- ‘The Guest’ Perfectly Weaponizes the Spellbinding Niceness of Dan Stevens
- Buhari sends names of 11 nominees to Senate for confirmation as Judges [Full list]
- ’90 Day Fiancé’: Fans React to Angela Deem Having a Procedure With Laughing Gas
- ‘The Young and the Restless’: 1 Character Was Among the First to Do Something PG-13 On TV
- [Breaking] Magu probe: Nobody above the law — Presidency
- James Franco, Tiffany Haddish, and 18 Other Stars Deemed the ‘Hardest-Working’ Actors in Hollywood
- Coronavirus: Dapo Abiodun govt confirms 42 new cases in Ogun
- Kanayo O. Kanayo Set To Become A Barrister
- Akeredolu vs Ajayi: Nine lawmakers stand against Deputy Gov’s impeachment.
- Vanessa Bryant finds ‘Sex and the City’ finale dress Kobe gifted her
- Where is Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès of Netflix’s ‘Unsolved Mysteries’?
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC acting chairman (Details)
- Cops search for perv who attempted to rape woman in Queens
- Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC acting chairman
- Slimmer Rob Kardashian attends July Fourth party after declaring he’s ‘back’
- COVID-19: Ogun teachers give conditions for school reopening
- We will not succumb to blackmail and manipulation – Ekiti APC Stakeholder Forum
- Mad O! Kanayo O. Kanayo Shows Appreciation After Successfully Passing His Law School Exams, Set To Become A Barrister
- Fernando Alonso to return to Formula 1 with Renault in 2021
- Halle Berry won’t play transgender man in movie after backlash