90 Day Fiancé stars Angela Deem, a 54-year-old grandmother of six from Hazlehurst, Georgia, and her 31-year-old Nigerian fiancé, Michael Ilesanmi, have encountered many obstacles on their road to wedded bliss—from trust issues and fertility problems to visa delays.
The couple originally applied for the K-1 visa so they could get married in the U.S. But Michael’s initial interview with the American embassy in Nigeria didn’t go well. So they decided to tie the knot in Nigeria instead, before moving to Angela’s home country together.
On a recent episode of TLC’s 90 Day Fiancé: Happily Ever After, Angela’s adult daughter, Skyla Deem, revealed that she wasn’t on board with Angela’s relationship. Angela confronted her daughter about her refusal to serve as an American witness in Nigeria—a refusal that could threaten her ability to marry Michael at all.
Skyla warned her mom that she still wasn’t sure about being a witness at their wedding
In advance of her planned wedding in Nigeria—in a mere matter of weeks—Angela told 90 Day Fiancé producers that there was just one “major roadblock”: her daughter Skyla’s disapproval.
Angela explained that an American witness was essential if she and Michael wanted to apply for the spousal visa and live in the U.S. together permanently.
“For this wedding to be considered legal, the registry in Nigeria said that I have to have an American friend or family member come and witness this marriage,” Angela explained.
But the 90 Day Fiancé star also wanted her daughter present at the event for sentimental reasons. “And it’s very important that Skyla be my witness, because she’s my daughter,” she said.
Skyla had previously asked Angela to visit an attorney to learn about her marital rights in Nigeria. Angela had done so—and had even drawn up a will to protect her assets in the case of death or divorce. But when she told Skyla that she’d held up “her end of the bargain,” her daughter’s response wasn’t exactly what she wanted to hear.
“As fun as that may sound, I can’t, Mama,” Skyla told her mom in response. “I thought about it, and I really can’t.”
The ’90 Day Fiancé’ star said she wasn’t ready to trust Michael
Angela’s jaw dropped in response to the news. But Skyla told 90 Day Fiancé producers that her mind was made up.
As for why she didn’t want to witness Angela and Michael’s wedding, Skyla explained, “I thought about going to Nigeria and being a witness to my mom’s wedding, but I’ll have to take off work, and I can’t afford it. I’d have to leave my kids, and I don’t want to. And Grandma needs me as well, so doing all this for something I don’t support is not worth it.”
Angela pushed back against her daughter’s decision. But Skyla said she couldn’t be budged. “I didn’t say I would, I said I would think about it,” she reminded her mom. “And I’m not 100 percent sure this is what you should be doing.”
Skyla wondered aloud whether Angela could really trust Michael around her grandchildren. “This doesn’t just affect you. This affects this whole family,” Skyla pointed out. “You’re bringing this man over here. Can we trust him?”
The 90 Day Fiancé star was outraged by her daughter’s lack of trust. “You trust me that I trust him,” she exclaimed, adding that if Michael was American, she didn’t believe there would be this many objections.
Angela called Michael so he could talk to Skyla face-to-face
After failing to convince Skyla herself, Angela decided to call Michael on video chat—even though it was the middle of the night in Nigeria.
“Skyla has decided not to go over there and be my witness,” Angela told a sleepy-eyed Michael. “I’ve tried to convince her, Michael. It’s up to you to convince her.”
Michael pleaded with Angela’s daughter to support their marriage if she could. “Skyla, we need you. Please,” the 90 Day Fiancé star begged. “I’m lonely here, and I want to be with Angela over there, you know?”
Skyla was apologetic, but she insisted that she couldn’t agree to make so many sacrifices for a relationship she wasn’t sure about. “That doesn’t make it the right thing,” she told Michael. “I don’t want to sit here and act like I support this marriage, because I don’t.”
Angela’s daughter told 90 Day Fiancé producers that she didn’t think her marriage to Michael would last in the long run, anyway. “Mama would be getting married without me, and I know that would hurt her,” she said. “But I don’t think this relationship is going to make Mama happy, because they don’t have nothing in common. Even though opposites attract, they attract, but they don’t last.”
As for Angela, she seemed heartbroken by her daughter’s decision. Michael tried to comfort his American fiancée, saying, “Baby, don’t be upset and sad about it. Just be happy that we’re getting married.”
But Angela’s problems were more than emotional; they were also logistical. Now, she had to find another witness willing to visit Nigeria with her in just two weeks, or the marriage might not go through at all.
“At this point, it’s all falling apart,” Angela said sadly.
Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- “Did Your Husband Beat You Again” Reactions as Mercy Aigbe Shares new pictures with stitches on her head (PICS)
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Bobrisky’s Contender posts Picture Of Himself In Wedding Gown
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- Native doctor spotted taking his ‘girlfriend’ shopping in Benin (Video)
- “Dating a yahoo boy is the most dangerous thing any girl should indulge in” – Lady narrates how her boyfriend almost used her for money ritual in Asaba
- Victor Osuagwu’s daughter shares her father’s epic reply after she told him “I love you”
- Kansas father, girlfriend charged in murder of his 3-year-old daughter
- Alaska Airlines flight turns around after passenger threatens to ‘kill everybody’
- Giants won’t sign Leonard Williams to long-term contract extension
- Edo: Mass defection from APC, signpost of defeat for Ize-Iyamu ― PDP
- Police nab man for allegedly raping minor after buying N20 sachet water
- Dale Resteghini says he’s gotten death threats over controversial new project
- DJ Cuppy Shares Release Date For New Song, “Jollof On The Jet”
- Northern House of Assembly speakers lament security situation in region
- Weinstein’s accusers want federal judge to block global settlement
- NAPTIP rescues 107 human trafficking victims at Kano airport
- Nigeria: The Problem of Memory
- Devastated 4-year-old loses it over lack of ‘fun’ during pandemic lockdown
- Video: News Round Up
- U.S.-based fertiliser coy to establish African branch in Kebbi
- Vandal dumps red paint on ‘Black Lives Matter’ mural outside Trump Tower
- I’m Two Weeks Pregnant – Bobrisky Reveals He’s Pregnant
- Kano Emirate bans indiscriminate horse riding
- Cuomo says Trump’s handling of COVID-19 makes Richard Nixon ‘look innocent’
- Nigeria’s stock market opens week with N55bn loss
- Lawmaker calls on Senators, Reps to shelve annual recess for electoral, constitutional reforms
- Does ‘Foodie Love’ Signal HBO Max’s Spanish Programming Ambitions?
- ‘Star Wars’ animated series ‘The Bad Batch’ coming to Disney+
- Jason Oppenheim getting hundreds of resumés after ‘Selling Sunset’
- BFFs Oprah Winfrey and Gayle King reunite after months apart
- COVID-19 Deaths: South Africa overtakes Egypt as Nigeria remains among top list
- Texas dog first animal in state confirmed to have coronavirus
- Bitcoin scammers have reportedly swiped $24M this year
- Chris Russo couldn’t resist WFAN jab while mocking ESPN Radio change
- Why Texas coronavirus death toll may be higher than officially reported
- NYPD cop tasers Black Lives Matter protester during Bay Ridge clash