The first season finale of The CW’s Batwoman ended with a jaw-dropping cliffhanger. But what happened afterward was even more shocking. TV buffs were rocked by the news that Ruby Rose would not return as Gotham’s Bat in season 2. With that in mind, here is what Rose’s absence could mean for the plot when the show returns.
‘Batwoman’ will not recast Kate Kane
Season 1 of Batwoman was all about real estate developer Kate Kane, played by Rose. Kate followed in the footsteps of her missing cousin, Bruce Wayne, and became Gotham’s new protector.
Deadline reported that Batwoman Season 2 will revolve around a new character. As of now, the vigilante who will presumably take up Batwoman’s cause is being called, Ryan Wilder.
The news outlet quoted the show’s creator and showrunner as saying, “I’m inventing a whole new character who in her past was inspired by Batwoman, so she will take on the mantle and is completely maybe not the right person at the time to be doing it, so that’s what makes it fun.”
The new hero under the mask will undoubtedly require backup, but the current Bat Team, Luke and Mary, are closely linked to Kate. The shift in dynamics may initially cause some tension in the Bat Cave. To create a realistic changing of the guard, Batwoman would be wise to build in time for her allies to get acclimated to a new chain of command.
‘Batwoman’ will not kill off Kate Kane
Now that Rose has departed Batwoman, the writers will need to craft a fitting exit for her character. In a tweet, Dries, confirmed that Kate will not die in the narrative, and explained the reason why:
“As a lesbian who’s been working as a writer for the past 15 years, I’m well aware of the “Bury Your Gays” trope and I have no interest in participating in it. That’s why it’s important to me as the showrunner to clarify any misinformation out there about Kate Kane and recasting Batwoman.”
Kate Kane will disappear from the canvas, creating mystery for those left behind
Batwoman built a loyal fan base very quickly, so continuing the momentum without the central star could be tricky. But based on what Dries revealed in her tweet, the curveball could provide an opportunity for some juicy on-screen drama.
The show boss dished that Kate will vanish from Gotham. Similar to how the show began, pondering Bruce’s disappearance, Batwoman could benefit from the new mystery layered into the show. Here’s what Dries said:
“Like you, I love Kate Kane — she’s the reason I wanted to do the show. We’ll never erase her. In fact, her disappearance will be one of the mysteries of season two. I don’t want to give away any of our surprises, but to all our devoted fans, please know that LGBTQ+ justice is at the very core of what Batwoman is and we have no intention of abandoning that.”
How will the characters move on without Kate?
One compelling piece of the Batwoman story was Kate’s connection to the Wayne family. It remains to be seen whether the new Batwoman will also have ties to the brood. Alice, in particular, is the twin sister of Kate and primary villain in the show.
Regardless of the connection, or lack thereof, that the new character will have to the Waynes, Batwoman will need to pivot in a way that maintains the sizzle created by the unique sibling rivalry that was so entertaining during season 1.
Kate’s disappearance will profoundly affect every Batwoman main character. While Alice will have to channel her aggression toward a new adversary, Luke and Mary must form a new alliance. Colonel Jacob Kane will relive what it is like to lose a daughter, while Kate’s ex, Sophie, may experience regrets. Batwoman will never be the same, but, if done right could become even greater.
Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- Kanayo becomes a lawyer after passing law school
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Dj Cuppy bags an endorsement deal with Platoon Music
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- Hushpuppi: Woodbery defrauded US firm of $15.3m stashed away in Bitcoin wallet — FBI
- Bobrisky advises women to stop staying in abusive relationships because of love
- Chidozie Awaziem insists Leganes won’t relegate this season
- Bus carrying Chinese high school students falls into lake, killing at least 21
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- Court Remands Four Policemen For Torturing Citizen To Death
- BREAKING: EFCC boss, Magu suspended
- Kevin Hart feels ‘lucky to be alive’ on his 41st birthday
- Yoenis Cespedes’ golf sighting brings back old controversy
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- ‘Deadpool 3’: Morena Baccarin Has ‘Not Been Asked, or Approached’ to Return for Ryan Reynolds’ Debut in the MCU
- Aide to Venezuelan ‘president’ Guaido threatens journalists with FBI investigation over ‘Twitter hack’ — Warritatafo
- Charlize Theron Says Recast of Furiosa for ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Prequel Is ‘Tough’
- People can’t stop listening to songs from Netflix’s sex-filled ‘365 Days’
- LaLiga: Barcelona takes decision on Setien’s future ahead of Espanyol clash
- Lin-Manuel Miranda responds to critics calling to cancel ‘Hamilton’
- DJ Cuppy Signed A New Deal With A London Based Record Label
- Breaking: Senate Passes Bill to make tenure of IGP single 4-yr tenure
- Nollywood Actor Yinka Quadri, Celebrates His Wife Of Over 35 Years On Her Birthday
- Trista Sutter, ABC’s First ‘Bachelorette’, Shares the Moment Emily Maynard Johnson Became Her ‘Hero’
- Bob Haircut On July Issue – Warritatafo
- The Fug Girls share their favorite royal style moments ever
- Buhari seeks Senate confirmation of 11 Judges for FCT High Court, others
- Patton Oswalt Accidentally Got So High That He Did a Whole Comedy Show With His Eyes Closed
- Electoral reform as huge step to citizens political participation
- Buhari Suspends Acting EFCC Chairman, Magu
- Suspect charged in fatal shooting of 7-year-old Chicago girl Natalia Wallace
- Tom Hanks on the 5 Captains He’s Played in His Movies
- Nollywood Actress Mary Uranta Is A Year Older Today
- Teenage boy drowns in Kano
- EPL: Kai Havertz takes final decision on joining Chelsea
- Stream It Or Skip It: ‘Hannibal Buress: Miami Nights’ On YouTube, Returning To The Scene Of His Non-Crime