Fans are looking forward to season eight of Chicago P.D., particularly after how season 7 wrapped up. It’s not unreasonable to predict the next season will be tense, particularly as it relates to Doyle and Atwater.
However, next season could be intense for all police shows that have a next season. Given the nationwide protests in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd in police custody, perceptions of the police are changing, and not for the better in the eyes of the protesters.
How long has ‘Chicago P.D.’ run?
Chicago PD sprang from the empire of Dick Wolf, the TV impresario responsible for Law & Order and its various spinoffs. One of those spinoffs, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, has been on the air for 21 seasons, making it the longest-running live-action series on US television, longer than such stalwarts as Grey’s Anatomy (16) and NCIS (17).
Chicago P.D. is about patrol officers and the Intelligence Unit of the 21st District of the Chicago Police Department as they pursue lawbreakers. Created by Wolf and Matt Olmstead, the show is part of the franchise that also includes Chicago Fire, Chicago Med and Chicago Justice. Chicago P.D. has starred Jason Beghe, Jon Seda, Sophia Bush, Jesse Lee Soffer and Patrick John Flueger. When it was renewed, it was renewed for at least 10 seasons.
When the show debuted, it polled a 61 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, with the Critical Consensus stating “Though it suggests potential for greater success, Chicago P.D. is ultimately an old school cop show, content to mimic Hill Street Blues and other classic procedurals. ”
However, its ratings have increased almost every season, with season 6 attracting 11 million viewers.
What happened at the end of season 7?
In the eerily prescient season 7 finale, Atwater was forced to go undercover with Doyle, who had at one time pointed a gun at his head. After racially profiling a black man, Doyle went after the man, who had been delivering sneakers to his cousin. Doyle shot first, and In the ensuing crossfire, Doyle was wounded, and he died later as a result.
This left Atwater in a no-win situation of telling the truth and risking reprisal, or remaining silent. Atwater tells the truth and becomes a pariah. Showrunner Rick Eid told TVLine, “Things could get bad for Atwater. Atwater made a courageous choice to take on Doyle’s friends and family. They’re also very well-connected within Chicago PD and the mayor’s office. In other words, they’re a formidable foe and will present a real challenge for Atwater.”
This actually was not supposed to be the finale. The planned finale was supposed to involve the murder of one of the show’s characters, but the coronavirus outbreak forced production to shutter early, so what woud have been this year’s finale will happen toward the beginning of season 8. As it stands, the season 8 finale feels more ripped from the headlines than it might have been.
Will police shows change in the wake of protests?
The death of George Floyd and the ensuing protests have already produced ripple effects in pop culture. The reality show Cops, which had run for 33 seasons, was canceled by The Paramount Network. Also canceled was Live PD, which had run on A&E.
The impact wasn’t limited to actual police. Even though it’s a comedy, Brooklyn Nine-Nine canned four episodes. Deadline reported that Terry Crews said the creative team had “a lot of somber talks about it and deep conversations and we hope through this we’re going to make something that will be truly groundbreaking this year. We have an opportunity here, and we plan to use it in the best way possible.”
According to PopCulture.com, some Chicago PD viewers took to Twitter to voice their displeasure with the show, with particular ire reserved for Hank Voigt, One tweet said, “I love your #Chicago shows, but it’s time to rethink how you write Hank Voigt on @NBCChicagoPD since he regularly abuses & even kills suspects. That lawless character should NOT be a role model.”
Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet
What will make you commit suicide?
- Nigerian boy who scattered his parents house explains what actually happened
- Wonder Shall Never End – Reactions as Photo Of A Lady who Bleached All Her Face But Left The Legs goes viral (PICS)
- Wild video shows woman steal pedestrian’s sneakers, strip naked in NYC
- Bukunmi Oluwasina Looks completely different in Kunle Afolayan’s Citation Movie (VIDEO)
- “There is nowhere we want to go” – Faithia Williams speaks on how she and Ex-Hsuband, Saidi Balogun meets and why she stops kissing or playing romantic movie roles (VIDEO)
- Funke Akindele gifts Pa James a new house after his house was wrecked by flood
- New Song: Tiwa Savage – Dangerous Love
- “My Blessing” – Segun Ogungbe’s 2nd Wife, Wunmi Ajiboye says as she Shares Photos of her first son carrying Their Newborn Baby (PICS)
- “Dr Anu showed me pepper” – Botched surgery survival, Omohtee shares her story
- Man builds a portable mansion after being homeless for 4 years, shares inspiring story (Photos)
- Hot Music: Saido Pee – Hello God (Prod. By Smart)
- Residents Panic over white substance seen at Anthony village in Lagos (Video)
- Erigga – “AYEME” ft. Yungzee [Video + Audio]
- ‘Jersey Shore’ Star Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi’s Daughter Can Make This 1 Iconic Face Perfectly
- “Jesus did not destroy a single shrine” – Daddy Freeze frowns at demolition of church of Satan in Abia
- Daddy Freeze frowns at the demolition of a shrine & the arrest of its founder in Abia State
- Man who was homeless for 4 years finally becomes a House-owner, shares inspiring story
- UPDATE: There was no snow in Anthony Village Lagos, govt reveals what happened
- Hushpuppi has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 in prison – Kemi Olunloyo
- Judge transfers suit seeking to nullify APC NEC meeting
- BREAKING: Nigerian govt postpones school resumption, 2020 WASSCE indefinitely
- Jodie Comer’s Alleged Boyfriend Has Fans Livid Because He Seems To Be a Trump Supporter
- Ivory Coast Prime Minister Coulibaly dies aged 61
- Girl pretends to sleep after she’s caught stealing snacks
- Hushpuppi allegedly tests positive to Coronavirus in US prison
- Nigerian students won’t write 2020 WAEC – FG
- Bell Biv DeVoe Member Ricky Bell Just Showed YouTube How to Do the ‘Poison’ Dance the Right Way
- Buahri appoints Mohammed Umar as new acting EFCC chairman
- Climate change: ‘Rising chance’ of exceeding 1.5C global target
- NYC shoe-repair shop that survived 9/11 now bouncing back from COVID-19 lockdown
- US suggests model transportation action plan to ease gridlock in Lagos
- TikTok Star Addison Rae Continues to Receive Backlash After Apologizing for Anti-Black Lives Matter Post
- Gov. Cuomo sent 6,300 COVID-19 patients to nursing homes during pandemic
- PDP Govs, Ex-minister Felicitate with Okowa at 61
- ONDO 2020: Why power of incumbency won’t help Akeredolu – Kekemeke
- Vp Osinbajo Denies Receiving N4bn from Magu –Aide
- Rob Shares Sweet Daughter Photo – Warritatafo
- COVID-19: Katsina State revises its 2020 budget from N244bn to N179bn
- Prime Suspect actor John Benfield dies aged 68
- COVID-19: No basis for legal actions against China, says Embassy
- Patrick Mahomes’ NFL Mega-Contract Could Actually Cost Him Money in the Long Run
- She is always on her phone and it makes me jealous- Husband of lady who shared ‘suicidal posts’ on Facebook says
- LASG empowers 300 victims of Abule-Egba pipeline explosion
- Will Smith opens up about racist treatment he’s received
- US coronavirus cases soar past 3 million mark
- US tourist accused of fatally stabbing Rome cop says he was beaten in custody
- Rob Kardashian Looking For Romance After Dramatic Weight Loss – Warritatafo
- “My family is dead to me” Boy filmed destroying his parents’ home because his mom refused to meet his demands speaks up (video)
- NYCFC back in action in second game of ‘MLS is Back’ tourney
- Alex Pullin dead – Australian Olympian dies in spearfishing accident
- Witness in Trump’s impeachment retires from military amid pressure
- Netflix Has Cancelled Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Series
- #Coronavirus: Public spending on crisis soars to £190bn
- Osinbajo never received N4billion from Magu ― Akande
- Schools not re-opening anytime soon — FG