Despite the coronavirus-fueled budget crisis, Mayor Bill de Blasio went ahead with spending $62 million on new boats for the city’s lightly used and heavily subsidized East River ferry system, The Post has learned.
The decision to go ahead with the purchase of eight more vessels for NYC Ferry — a pet project of the mayor’s — came to light after Comptroller Scott Stringer attempted to block the spending, only to have City Hall override him in June.
“As our city battles a financial crisis and services for vulnerable communities are put on the chopping block, I seriously question spending millions of additional taxpayer dollars on ferry vessels, when the program does not effectively serve a broad range of New Yorkers,” Stringer said.
The boats were originally ordered in 2019 — months before the pandemic hit — as part of the $637 million that the city has spent so far on building an East River ferry network.
However, city officials went ahead with the purchase and payment after the coronavirus pandemic hit, all while rolling out massive cuts to other agencies — including a $1.5 billion pot to the NYPD — in a bid to tackle a $9 billion budget shortfall.
As part of the cutbacks, the Economic Development Corp. touted adjustments to the ferry service that they said would reduce the subsidy by 20 percent from $54 million during the most recently completed budget.
However, the documents City Hall provided to the comptroller show it will still cost $44 million alone during this upcoming budget year.
Ridership was down 80 percent during the last week in April as the COVID-19 outbreak lashed the five boroughs, ultimately killing more than 22,000 New Yorkers and forcing the shutdown of the city’s economy.
“How does the mayor justify this sort of spending on a system that moves so few people, especially at a time when he’s taking away millions from New Yorkers who ride buses and bikes,” asked an enraged Danny Harris, who runs straphanger and transit activist group, Transportation Alternatives.
NYC Ferry is Mayor de Blasio’s signature transportation initiative, but the program has been roundly criticized for requiring massive operating subsidies and catering to a posh ridership — despite Hizzoner’s repeated claims it’s helping to build a more fair city.
“The NYC Ferry is a popular, reliable transit option that connects New Yorkers of all backgrounds with job centers across the city,” said City Hall spokesman Mitch Schwartz. “To meet current demand, plan for expanding the system and save money over the long term, we’re acquiring our own vessels instead of paying for expensive charter boats.”
He added: “As these vessels are delivered, the city must pay its bills to the shipyards that built them.”
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- Do You Know That Hushpuppi Has Two Children ?. Meet Daisy, One Of Hushpuppi’s Beautiful Babymamas
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- 20-Year-Old Groundnut Seller And Rape Victim Gives Birth To Triplets (Photos)
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- YAWA! “I Don Make 6 Girls Cry This Year, My Target Na 20” Man Plans To Take Revenge On Other Ladies For what His Girlfriend Did To Him
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- Italian marines ‘entitled to immunity’ in 2012 shooting of Indian fishermen, Hague court rules — Warritatafo
- Ize-Iyamu calls for violence-free election, wishes Obaseki God’s abundant blessings
- Reps ask Army to release wife of Soldier who spoke out against Security chiefs
- COVID-19: Ekiti warns traders against displaying goods on road medians
- ‘The Great’ Renewed for Season 2 at Hulu
- Koeman moves into Barcelona as Setien faces sack
- ‘The Challenge 35’: Johnny ‘Bananas’ Devenanzio Allegedly Flirted With Jenny West Throughout the Season
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana Both Wanted to Call Off the Wedding — So Why Did They Get Married?
- Who Is Claudia Conway? 5 Things To Know About Kellyanne’s Daughter – Warritatafo
- City to find out Champions League ban fate July 13
- WWE star Kane, known for mask, votes against mask mandate as mayor
- Formula One mogul Bernie Ecclestone becomes a father again at 89
- De Blasio calls budget process ‘thoughtful’ after it was ripped by Dermot Shea
- Gospel singer, Sammie Okposo and wife celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary (Photo)
- These massive sharks have teeth on their eyeballs
- 2023: I’m not part of new National Consultative Front – Olisa Agbakoba
- NBA will spend over $150 million on restart in Orlando
- Rep. Nadler cruises to expected Democratic primary win
- Video: Timo Werner reveals why he rejected Liverpool, Man Utd for Chelsea
- House rent agreement, C of O, others to carry stamp duty ― FIRS
- Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial/GOtv Boxing Gym Set to Open
- Will Smith Once Revealed the Secret Behind His and Jada Pinkett-Smith’s Lasting Marriage
- Airport in Taiwan offering fake flights for travel-starved tourists
- Staten Island Ferry to resume regular rush-hour service next week
- APC chieftains take action on suit against Oshiomhole
- Putin thanks Russians for ‘support and trust’ after vote
- President Buhari connected to Hushpuppi
- MCU Star Chris Evans Comments on Post-Marvel Life: ‘I Already Miss It’
- Missy Elliott Owns One of the Most Disliked Exotic Cars Worth Over $200k
- Police issues warning to non-travelers as flights resumes in Abuja, Lagos, others