Sensible people laughed when they first heard calls to #DefundthePolice after the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. No one should be laughing now.
Some of this city’s leading politicians are moving toward implementing versions of this dangerous concept, and ordinary Gothamites will pay the price.
While there is no statistical evidence of an epidemic of unjustified killings of blacks by cops, the Floyd incident did raise questions about racialized police misconduct. But discrete, sensible policing reforms to address that problem are one thing; dismantling and defunding police departments, quite another. The latter idea is downright absurd.
Initially, even many liberals claimed the radicals’ #Defund and #Abolish sloganeering was just that: sloganeering, not intended literally. Democrats said it was all about “reimagining” police work and better training — not actual cuts to departments.
But the momentum behind this crackpot idea has grown, as the radicals realized liberals weren’t serious about opposing them. The Democrats’ base buys the big lie that cops are a racist force that threatens the lives of every African American.
In New York, even before the #Defund movement got underway, crime rates were rising as a result of misguided bail “reform” enacted by the Legislature last year. The coronavirus pandemic compounded the difficulties of policing, what with Mayor Bill de Blasio emptying jails and deputizing the NYPD to shut down weddings and Hasidic funerals. Now add the violent protests and sheer anti-cop abuse tolerated — no, encouraged — by a hard-left political class.
But if you think all that’s bad, imagine what it will be like after Hizzoner and City Council Speaker Corey Johnson implement their plan to cut $1 billion from the NYPD’s $6 billion budget. It would slash the ranks of the uniformed force by 1,163 officers. Overtime cuts won’t just reduce costs but also make it less likely that cops will be available when needed.
Looking to get ahead of the mob of protesters and pundits targeting his department, Police Commissioner Dermot Shea has already disbanded the 600-officer plainclothes anti-crime unit.
He blamed it for being involved in too many shooting cases. But since it was tasked with seeking out violent offenders, of course, such a unit would be involved in shootings. Shea was in effect offering a sacrifice to the BLM volcano, in the hopes that the rest of the force would be spared.
Predictably, that concession has had the opposite effect on the NYPD’s critics: It only whetted their appetites for more defunding and, worse, lent legitimacy to their anti-police rhetoric.
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- Nigerian boy who scattered his parents house explains what actually happened
- Wonder Shall Never End – Reactions as Photo Of A Lady who Bleached All Her Face But Left The Legs goes viral (PICS)
- Wild video shows woman steal pedestrian’s sneakers, strip naked in NYC
- Bukunmi Oluwasina Looks completely different in Kunle Afolayan’s Citation Movie (VIDEO)
- “There is nowhere we want to go” – Faithia Williams speaks on how she and Ex-Hsuband, Saidi Balogun meets and why she stops kissing or playing romantic movie roles (VIDEO)
- Funke Akindele gifts Pa James a new house after his house was wrecked by flood
- “Dr Anu showed me pepper” – Botched surgery survival, Omohtee shares her story
- New Song: Tiwa Savage – Dangerous Love
- UPDATE: There was no snow in Anthony Village Lagos, govt reveals what happened
- Man builds a portable mansion after being homeless for 4 years, shares inspiring story (Photos)
- Residents Panic over white substance seen at Anthony village in Lagos (Video)
- Hot Music: Saido Pee – Hello God (Prod. By Smart)
- Erigga – “AYEME” ft. Yungzee [Video + Audio]
- ‘Jersey Shore’ Star Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi’s Daughter Can Make This 1 Iconic Face Perfectly
- “Jesus did not destroy a single shrine” – Daddy Freeze frowns at demolition of church of Satan in Abia
- Daddy Freeze frowns at the demolition of a shrine & the arrest of its founder in Abia State
- Man who was homeless for 4 years finally becomes a House-owner, shares inspiring story
- Hushpuppi has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 in prison – Kemi Olunloyo
- BREAKING: Nigerian govt postpones school resumption, 2020 WASSCE indefinitely
- Jodie Comer’s Alleged Boyfriend Has Fans Livid Because He Seems To Be a Trump Supporter
- Ivory Coast Prime Minister Coulibaly dies aged 61
- Hushpuppi allegedly tests positive to Coronavirus in US prison
- Brie Larson Is Going to Get a Lot of YouTube Hate, Fans Warn
- How Kim Kardashian West Is Related to George W. Bush by Blood
- President Buhari replaces Akpabio , one other non-career Ambassador designate
- BTS: Jungkook Proves He Still Rules the Internet After Posting a Selfie on Weverse
- Shorthanded Net will be relying on Caris LeVert to lead
- George Floyd: Officer told dying man to ‘stop yelling’
- More than 600 firms bid for Nigeria’s 57 marginal oil fields
- English Premier League results, scorers ― collated
- Peru’s president calls general election for April 2021
- Liverpool boost record bid, Man City crush Newcastle
- No ‘softening’ from Liverpool as Salah keeps record chase on track
- Impotent arraigned for allegedly ‘fingering’ minor in Osun
- Gunmen kidnap ex-customary court judge in Abia
- California waitress explains why she canceled tech CEO’s racist rant at Asian family
- Internet fraudster kills commercial motorcyclist, injures passenger in Delta
- Fears in Ondo, as doctors forcefully discharge COVID-19 patients
- TSA improves COVID-19 safety precautions after whistleblower complaint
- Solskjaer realistic on transfers but keen to keep Pogba
- Filmed New ‘Malcolm & Marie’ In Quarantine – Warritatafo
- University of Delaware sued for Joe Biden’s Senate records
- Reopening of schools: Why Nigeria may not follow Ghana’s step now — Investigation
- Domestic violence: Police arrest woman for allegedly killing husband in Abia
- Nigerian students won’t write 2020 WAEC – FG
- Bell Biv DeVoe Member Ricky Bell Just Showed YouTube How to Do the ‘Poison’ Dance the Right Way
- Buahri appoints Mohammed Umar as new acting EFCC chairman
- Climate change: ‘Rising chance’ of exceeding 1.5C global target
- NYC shoe-repair shop that survived 9/11 now bouncing back from COVID-19 lockdown
- US suggests model transportation action plan to ease gridlock in Lagos
- TikTok Star Addison Rae Continues to Receive Backlash After Apologizing for Anti-Black Lives Matter Post
- Gov. Cuomo sent 6,300 COVID-19 patients to nursing homes during pandemic
- PDP Govs, Ex-minister Felicitate with Okowa at 61
- ONDO 2020: Why power of incumbency won’t help Akeredolu – Kekemeke
- Vp Osinbajo Denies Receiving N4bn from Magu –Aide