Mayor de Blasio and Council Speaker Corey Johnson are finalizing an $87 billion budget deal that would avoid municipal layoffs while slicing $1 billion from the Police Department’s budget through transfers and spending cuts, The Post has learned.
The agreement — which the City Council was being briefed on late Monday night — largely restores cuts Hizzoner made to summer youth employment programs, counselors for high needs schools and tuition aid for low-income City University students.
But, it also keeps the bulk of the other spending cuts proposed by de Blasio in April intact as officials attempt to navigate the Big Apple’s estimated $9 billion deficit, which was caused by the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic and subsequent economic shutdown.
Just weeks later, the brutal in-custody police death of George Floyd in Minneapolis rocketed across social media, sending tens-of-thousands New Yorkers to the street in protest — the first in a series of dominoes that would fall — leaving Hizzoner politically besieged and completely remaking the budget debate.
This latest spending plan hopes to answer calls from protestors to ‘defund’ the NYPD by slashing and transferring $1 billion from its budget, four sources confirmed. However, City Hall hit the mark using accounting measures that critics have labeled as ‘tricks’.
It transfers the school safety officers back to the Department of Education, moving $307 million off of the NYPD’s budget in the first year. It also calls for school safety agents to be moved to another still-unspecified agency, accounting for another $42 million.
Controversially, sources told The Post, City Hall also tallied the $134 million in fringe benefits — like health, dental and eye care — associated with those employees to other agencies, and counted those savings toward the $1 billion goal.
The NYPD is also supposed to slash its overtime spending by $352 million in 2021 — roughly half of its annual outlay, which exceeded $700 million in each of the last three completed budget.
Much of the rest of the savings come from reducing the department’s headcount through attrition and by delaying cadet classes, the sources added.
However, some popular programs cut by de Blasio in April have seen their funding either partially or completely restored, three of the sources said:
- The ‘Fair Student’ program that helps equalize funding between Gotham’s richer and poorer school districts will see its funding remain flat, instead of facing a $100 million cut
- The Department of Education’s popular ‘Single Sheperd’ guidance counselor program for high needs schools faced the ax but now has its $11 million budget back
- CUNY’s ASAP aid program for low-income students in community colleges also saw much of its cut reversed, restoring funds to near last year’s level
And there’s $100 million included to provide programming and employment for city youth during the summertime, largely reversing one of the most controversial cuts from de Blasio’s April budget.
Additionally, the sources said that the deal struck between de Blasio and Johnson also avoids any layoffs in the municipal workforce.
The mayor had publicly warned that 22,000 employees could be axed unless state lawmakers in Albany approved emergency lending authority, only to see the state Senate rebuff his request twice.
Still, the budget — which must be passed by Tuesday — will not be an easy sell.
One tally seen by The Post showed that 15 of the city’s 50 lawmakers may oppose the agreement. The Council has 51 seats, though one is currently vacant.
“The Mayor had two goals for this budget: maintain safety, and invest in youth and our hardest-hit communities — all while facing the toughest fiscal situation the city has seen in decades,” said City Hall press secretary Freddi Goldstein, who declined to comment on the details. “We believe that we presented a plan that accomplishes that mission and look forward to working with the Council to pass a budget that helps this city rebuild stronger.”
Johnson’s office declined to comment.
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- Jada Pinkett Smith Allegedly Spoiled August Alsina With Gifts and Ended Things After He Demanded They Go Public
- Leave Herdsmen alone, they are not terrorists, whether you like it or not i have spoken – Garba Shehu Says
- Help my daughter out of this pain, mother of ailing girl begs Nigerians
- Why PDP Is Fully Behind Obaseki, Tambuwal Reveals
- See How Nwankwo Kanu Proposed To His Wife The First Time They Met (Photo)
- Tiwa Savage Shares “No Make Up” Photo And She Still looks Amazing (Photo)
- ‘This Could Have Been You And Olakunle Churchill’- Actor Trolls Tonto Dikeh After Regina Daniels Gave Birth For Ned Nwoko
- ‘You Mean Everything to Me’ – D’banj Melts Hearts As He Celebrates His 5th Anniversary With Romantic Message
- Jay-Z Proposed to Beyoncé Because He Was Worried About Losing Her (Again)
- D’banj celebrates 4th wedding anniversary with wife Didi Lineo
- Tinubu Reveals Why APC Caretaker Committee Visited Him
- Beef: “Cubana Chiefpriest, You Are A Dirty Lowlife Doing Boy Boy At A Club” – Linda Ikeji’s Sister, Sandra Sends Cubana Chiefpriest To Deep Sleep (Photo)
- Trump calls family of teen killed in lawless Seattle ‘CHOP’ zone
- COVID Organics drug is mainly anti-malaria – Health Minister
- Brie Larson Reveals How ‘Captain Marvel’ Changed Her Life and It’ll Give You Chills
- Texas woman charged in connection to murder of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- POTHOLES, TRAFFIC, BANDITS OF ORILE-MILE 2-BADAGRY EXPRESSWAY: We can’t breathe, commuters lament
- #Coronavirus: A guide to your potential holiday destinations
- How the Swamp mucked up America’s coronavirus response
- 40 COVID-19 Patients Discharged After Full Recovery In Lagos
- PIX11 news anchor Tamsen Fadal engaged to Debmar-Mercury’s Ira Bernstein
- Dangote Cement raises N250b via debt market in 6 months
- Who is Beth on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Kelly Reilly
- Khloé Kardashian Has Had the Hardest Life of All Her Sisters, According to Fans
- Abia State Governor, Okezie Turns Table Tennis Player In Isolation
- Kendall Jenner Revealed Kylie’s Pregnancy Took Her Some Time to Process: ‘I Didn’t Expect It’
- HAPPENING NOW: Late Ondo Commissioner laid to rest
- Nigeria’s public debt portfolio hits N28.63 trillion
- Oyo State Government pledges to Repatriate Nigerian lady trafficked to Lebanon | Arrayhan Tv News
- Pup takes on allergy season with adorable ‘turbo sneeze’
- 10,000 Farmers To Get Firm’s Fertiliser Subsidy In Sokoto
- Explosion at Turkish fireworks factory leaves 10 injured, up to 200 feared trapped (VIDEOS) — Warritatafo
- Tacha names two Nigerian celebrities who influenced her life
- ‘Law & Order: SVU’: Who Narrates The Opening Introduction?
- There’s no need to waste time, Amechi, Peter Obi, Umahi, Onu will be our Presidential Candidates – Igbo Coalition Prepares ahead of 2023
- Osun Govt. Commiserates With Gov. Akeredolu Over Adegbenro’s Death
- COVID-19 directives infraction: Lagos seals 10 erring schools
- French Prime Minister, Edouard Philippe resigns
- Kim Kardashian Is Actually Not A Billionaire Yet – Forbes
- Lagos: Police arrests lone robber who rapes wives in presence of husbands
- We’ve no quarrel to settle in APC, says Tinubu
- Edo 2020: No PDP aspirant will be unjustly disqualified — Dogara
- What restaurants in the Hamptons are doing for 4th of July 2020
- London hospital sees spike in child abuse during lockdown
- Amaechi, Wike, Umahi, Ogbonnanya presented as 2023 presidential candidates
- Zidane Airs His Mind On Messi Exit From Barcelona, Spain
- Chief Of Staff To Plateau State Governor Tests Positive For COVID-19
- How Chinese Couple Held Their Domestic Staff Hostage For Four Months In Abuja
- Bayern Munich confirm Leroy Sane signing from Man City
- Zheng Yanxiong: China appoints hard-line Hong Kong security chief
- Leroy Sane officially completes Bayern Munich move
- Ondo election: APC generates N258m from sales of forms
- ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway?’: Is the Improv Series Rehearsed?
- NCDC reveals Nigerians responsible for increased COVID-19 cases
- Sandra Ikeji Attacks Cubana Chief Priest For Accusing Her Husband Of ‘Sipping Free Drinks’ In His Club