By Jimoh Babatunde
As hoteliers in Lagos State, on the platform of Hotel Owners and Managers Association of Lagos, HOMAL, call for the release of reopening protocols to enable members to go back to business, farmers are counting their losses to the continued closure of the sector over COVID-19.
General Manager of Tuns Farms, Osogbo, Osun State, Mr Taofeek Badmus, disclosed that apart from the inability to sell products because most off-takers are off business, the cost of feeds for the poultry is too costly, making production and sustainability a difficulty.
He said: “The truth is that we are facing the brunt during this time. The cost of raw materials has seen a steady rise, while the cost of the final product has been stagnant.
“The closure of hotels, event centres and functions has also affected sales of (farm) products with many of us having large stocks of finished products.
“Our experience was particularly painful during the lockdown as we kept on feeding birds and there was no market to sell them.
“The sale has reduced drastically. There is also a glut of products now, and has everybody is now forced to sell at lower prices,” he lamented.
For the Managing Director, Agrecourse Ltd, a crowd-funding platform for agriculture, Ayoola Oluga, the gains made by farmers after the Federal Government closed the land borders last year are going down the drains.
“However,” he added, “with the advent of the coronavirus, another set of problems have arisen. Some farmers have continued to find it difficult to sell their products, especially fish farmers.
“This is mainly due to the shutdown of the hospitality sector, where you find the major off-takers.”
Mr Ayo Arikawe, Chief Technology Officer, ThriveAgric, another crowd-funding platform for agro-allied investments, explained that chickens from their farms are mostly sold to “processors, who, in turn, sell to restaurants and hotels.
“And we know this affects their sales, making them keep more stocks in cold rooms unnecessarily, and there is an increased logistics cost for them. We essentially reduce the birds stocked this period to match off-takers’ demand.”
Mr. Rotimi Olibale Oloye, National President, Catfish and Allied Fish Farmers Association of Nigeria (CAFFAN), said: “Our product is mostly used for social events, thus the lockdown has very serious negative effects on our business.
“That is why it is essential for the government to work out support for us because most of us are already out of jobs as our entire capital had gone to continuous loss of the past three months as the few sales made were a total loss.”
Also lamenting farmers losses to COVID-19, Chief Operating Officer, Agro Park, Mr. Ayodele Alabi, said as a result of the restrictions across the country, a good number of the off-take partners had either reduced or shut down operations.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- “Ole Ni Everybody” Naira Marley Mocks EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu Over His DSS’ Arrest
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- Nigerian Foreign Exchange Traders Lament Over Naira’s Devaluation
- Claps Back After He Slams Him For Drake Diss – Warritatafo
- “Most entertainers are broke, Covid-19 has shown who saved for raining day”- Rapper Illbliss
- Johnny Depp testifies that Amber Heard may have once defecated in their bed
- Why Did Jay-Z and Beyoncé Skip Out on Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s Wedding?
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus
- Edo 2020: Obaseki ‘ll be shocked at outcome of election ― Ganduje
- Car speeds away with protester on hood after alleged lynching attempt in Indiana
- Madonna, 61, poses topless in mirror selfie
- EFCC: More details on Magu’s probe emerge
- Enough Is Enough, Reopen All Churches Now — CAN Urges Lagos, Others
- The Song From ‘Hamilton’ That Was Inspired By a Lot of Beatles Songs
- Paris Jackson gets candid about self-harm and depression
- President Buhari makes new appointments,See categories
- #Coronavirus: Majority testing positive have no symptoms
- Ondo: APC label resignation of Dep. Gov, SSG from party as unreasonable
- Country singer Lindsay Ell reveals she was raped at 13 and 21 years old
- We won’t step down for defected deputy gov, Ondo PDP aspirants insist
- Chima: Court remands four Police officers over alleged torture, death of mechanic
- How IPOB Deputy Leader, Uche Mefor cautioned Members attacking ‘Prophetess’ Who Spoke on Radio Biafra
- This is why there’s so much pink snow covering the alps
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Magu
- ‘Blue Bloods’: Why Did Henry Walk With a Limp at the Beginning of the Series?
- Beware of FAKE JOURNALISTS! Daily Beast exposes network of false personas that tricked news outlets into publishing their op-eds — Warritatafo
- Reporter’s viral Pablo Sandoval photo drew fat shaming and regrets
- COVID-19: Taraba govt laments non compliance to safety rules in state
- EFCC: Place Magu on watchlist – Fayose tells Buhari
- Mookie Betts’ MLB free agency hinges on a tense Dodgers season
- Kano to spend N200m on Watari irrigation scheme to aid food security
- New York City’s childcare centers could reopen early next week
- Rob Kardashian Is All Smiles During 4th Of July Party With Pals After Debuting Weight Loss