Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Bruno Fernandes has brought a winning mentality to Manchester United after his brace inspired an impressive 3-0 win at Brighton on Tuesday.
Cajoled by the dazzling Fernandes, United produced one of their best performances of the season at the Amex Stadium.
Mason Greenwood opened the scoring early in the first half and Fernandes doubled the lead before the interval.
Fernandes netted again after half-time with a fine volley as United climbed above Wolves on goal difference to take fifth place in the Premier League.
“Bruno has come and been fantastic. He has brought that winning mentality with him, that 99 percent is not good enough. It has to be 100 percent,” Solskjaer said.
“I’ve got more than one game-changer. The third goal was a great team goal. To see so many players sprinting forward to get on the end of it was fantastic. A great finish by Bruno.”
Solskjaer’s side are two points behind fourth-placed Chelsea, who play their game in hand at West Ham on Wednesday.
With fifth place securing qualification for the Champions League if second-placed Manchester City’s European ban is upheld, United are in a strong position to return to the continent’s elite club competition.
If they make it, United will owe a huge debt of gratitude to Fernandes, who has scored six goals since arriving from Sporting Lisbon in January.
The Portugal midfielder’s role in revitalising United cannot be understated.
They were mired in a major slump before Fernandes’ signing, but are now on a 15-game unbeaten run in all competitions, including three successive wins.
“It’s a joy to watch them when you see them express themselves like that,” Solskjaer said.
“The confidence comes from performances. They worked hard during the lockdown and we know we have loads to play for.
“I don’t care about making a statement, I know we are a good team.”
United are also looking more solid at the back with eight clean sheets in their last 13 league matches.
With a run-in that includes games against Bournemouth, Aston Villa and West Ham, Solskjaer’s men could enjoy a memorable conclusion to the campaign as they also chase success in the FA Cup and Europa League.
Brighton had taken four points from two games since the restart, easing their relegation fears, but this defeat means they aren’t completely safe yet.
– Complete control –
Harry Maguire led United’s charge with a long pass to Paul Pogba, who rolled it into the path of Fernandes for a fierce drive that cannoned back off the post.
Solskjaer this week warned United’s strikers they must improve if they want to stay in the team.
It was a message that Greenwood had clearly taken to heart as the 18-year-old produced a fine strike to open the scoring in the 16th minute.
Cutting in from the right, Greenwood froze Lewis Dunk with a nimble step-over and drilled a low shot past Brighton keeper Mat Ryan at his near post.
“He’s a special talent. He’s getting better. You can see clearly that he’s maturing and improving,” Solskjaer said of Greenwood.
“He’s still only 18 so we will see more from him.”
Greenwood’s 13th goal of the season in all competitions was the signal for United to take complete control.
Maguire almost made it two with a header that looped narrowly wide and in the 29th minute Brighton cracked again.
Luke Shaw’s run unhinged the Albion defence and Pogba worked the ball back to Fernandes, whose shot deflected off Alexis Mac Allister and squirmed past Ryan from the edge of the area.
Fernandes wasn’t finished yet and he put the game out of Brighton’s reach at the climax of a swaggering United counter in the 50th minute.
Nemanja Matic’s cross-field pass sent Greenwood sprinting away down the left and the teenager unfurled a perfect cross for Fernandes to volley past Ryan from 12 yards.
Source: Vanguard News
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Magu probe: Panel quizzes 3 operatives
- Suspected fraudster Ramon Abbas’s bail attempt fails in US
- Magu probe: Panel quizzes 3 EFCC operatives
- Disturbing footage captures three teenagers beating up a teen mom and her baby in Brooklyn (video)
- Ruth Kadiri Speaks On Will Smith Marriage (Read What She Said)
- FG may pay private school teachers’ salary arrears
- Canadian Rapper, Tory Lanez arrested on gun charge after house party fight got Megan Thee Stallion hospitalized
- FG to unveil N65bn stimulus package for OPSN
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects over alleged armed robbery in Oyo
- Rita Edochie gives out daughter’s hand in marriage (photos)
- Checkout The Chinese Vase Found In Pet-filled House Which Cost $9M (Photos)
- Plane makes emergency landing, two men have been arrested after a note saying ‘explosives on board’ was found in toilet of Ryanair plane
- FG Promise Internet Data Slash For Nigerians
- Regina Chukwu cries out, reveals why women are stone hearted and creatures people should fear
- Kellyanne Conway’s daughter posts ‘last tweet’ after being kicked off social media
- Adeboye’s senior Pastor, Tola Odutola resigns from RCCG, gives reason [VIDEO]
- Top RCCG pastor resigns, His reasons will shock you
- “He started crying when I wanted to leave” – Lady says as she shares video of her boyfriend in tears
- Couple celebrate ‘miracle twin babies’ as wife delivers another baby, 21 days after giving birth to the first (Video)
- Naya Rivera is ‘Glee’s latest tragedy
- 595 new cases of COVID-19 death toll now 744
- US rejects Beijing’s claim to South China Sea, deepens Chinese anger
- Ex-agitators laud FG for cleansing Presidential Amnesty Programme
- Cross River: How Ayade can surpass Duke, Imoke’s achievements — Eteng, APC chieftain
- Osun government eases lockdown in 4 LGAs
- Police Seize Magu’s Bulletproof Cars
- Reps tells Egypt, Kenya to ask their candidates for DG, WTO to step down for Okonjo Iweala
- FG appoints, Daukoru, Ikem-Obih, others to NLNG, BGT boards
- EFCC Presents Witness Against Mompha’s Accomplices
- Mythbusters TV Host Dies At 49
- Abia Govt takes position on calls for Speaker’s resignation over alleged allegiance to Orji Uzor Kalu
- Crossdresser, Bobrisky announces he is expecting his first child
- ‘Expecting Amy’ Should Be Required Viewing in All Health Classes
- MultiChoice Nigeria unveils N85m grand prize for BBNaija season 5 winner
- Ghislaine Maxwell set to appear in Manhattan federal court today
- Tom Bergeron Leaves ‘Dancing with the Stars’ After 15 Years
- ONDO 2020: Disqualified PDP aspirant declares support for defected Deputy gov
- Actress, Regina Chukwu cries out that women are wicked, and she fears them
- 1,091 COVID-19 cases recorded in Ogun
- Jets need $6.5 million Breshad Perriman gamble to pay off
- Osinbajo Is Not Contesting For Presidency In 2023, Aide Says
- EFCC tells court to deny popular social media influencer, Adeherself bail
- ONDO 2020: We support Akeredolu reelection― APC National Youth leaders
- Malian protest leader labels arrest as ‘assassination attempt’
- Billionaire, Prince Arthur Eze says only God can make an Igbo man President
- Banditry: Arewa Group drums support for Army’s Operation Sahel Sanity
- How To Build Your Own Backyard Movie Theater For Summer 2020
- JPMorgan Chase beats estimates, but second quarter profits plunge
- EPL: Lampard to offer Kepa plus cash for Atletico Madrid’s Oblak
- EFCC: Why IG of Police can’t grant Ibrahim Magu bail
- Edo Guber: Blame your party for accepting Ize-Iyamu Oshiomhole indicted – PDP tells APC
- “I am a virgin and I await Ned Nwoko to come and take me as 6th wife” – Lady says
- BBN: Diane State Reason Why She Can’t Reunite Ex-lovers, Frodd And Esther
- Video shows man dump paint on Black Lives Matter mural at Trump Tower
- Hot Music: Oladips – Magu