Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has admitted he’s keen for the Newcastle takeover process to ‘conclude shortly’ despite complications.
Plenty of objections to the takeover have been raised on moral grounds due to the Saudi’s links with pirate pay television provider beoutQ, and Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s involvement in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018.
And before the process can continue, the Premier League have to establish – with absolute certainty – that Saudi’s history with piracy cannot be linked to owners or directors nominated by the consortium.
However, chief executive Masters is hopeful of the process reaching a conclusion soon.
“All processes have to conclude and I would like the process to conclude shortly,’ he said in front of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee on Tuesday, as quoted by the Daily Mail.
“I do appreciate the uncertainty. In a perfect world, takeovers would happen clearly, cleanly and in a timely fashion. Sometimes things get complicated. It is very difficult because it is an entirely confidential process that involves all sorts of due diligence and the application of the owners and directors test.
“When it drags on, sometimes there is a requirement for information. There are legal requirements in place that need to be observed,” Masters added.
And when quizzed about the epicentre of the delay – beoutQ – Masters spoke encouragingly from a Newcastle perspective: “BeoutQ is now off the air and what we want Saudi Arabia to do is to respond positively to the situation and allow sports rights holder to protect their rights.”
The chief executive also revealed, when questioned by Scottish National Party MP John Nicolson, that there’s been no pressure from the government regarding the Saudi takeover.
“I’m talking generally, but during my time at the Premier League I’m not aware of the government putting any pressure on the Premier League, one way or another, in relation to any takeover.”
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Message to Goodluck Jonathan: Assassins’ll attempt your life this year but’ll fail — Prophet Serimoedumu
- Otedola hosts DJ Cuppy, Temi and boyfriend, Mr Eazi in London (Video)
- Tijani Oniru, one of the sons of late Oba of Oniru attacked by “security men” (video)
- Davido’s cousin Adenike receives a Benz as graduation gift from her dad
- ‘Putin’s limo brand’ Aurus sedan gets smashed in epic crash test — Warritatafo
- Top NYPD cops call for Manhattan DA Cy Vance to appear at shooting scenes
- Watch Vanguard’s top stories in 60 seconds
- Nigeria records more COVID-19 cases as death toll rises to 645
- Some Rescued Chibok Girls Frustrated, Abandoned, Dropped Out Of School – MBF
- Bobrisky speaks Igbo, threatens to slap small boys who sends him DM professing their love(video)
- Two die in Anambra cult clash
- Davido’s cousin, Adenike Adeleke, receives a Benz as graduation gift from her dad
- Alleged poisoning: Family member reveals real cause of Deborah’s death
- The Royal Family Was Alarmed by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Spending Habits, Source Reveals
- Sergio Ramos Talks On Referees Assisting Real Madrid To Stay Top Of LA LIGA Table
- Nigeria: Contribution of non-oil exports to economic growth
- Ajimobi’s fidau: Family denies Oyo dep gov access
- The Rock Suffered a Tragic Loss With the Unexpected Death Of His Legendary Dad Rocky Johnson
- This is irresponsible and reckless- PDP knocks APC for calling for an investigation into Hushpuppi’s alleged links with some of its members
- New York’s Republican Party needs to be ready for Democrats to screw up
- Why Did Jessica Capshaw Leave ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ as Arizona Robbins?
- Kendall Jenner Looks Like a ‘Mean Girl’ on Instagram
- Gunmen kill 2, abduct APC chieftain, 9 others in Katsina
- Factions in APC might break it to pieces if… – Galadima
- Meghan Markle Cleverly Called Out Queen Elizabeth and She’s Not Wrong
- ’90 Day Fiancé’ Fans Think Big Ed Looks Like a Famous Teen TikTok Starlet
- Taraba crisis: Images reveals alleged killing, shooting of innocent civilians by military [PHOTOS]
- Wetin i do this man? – woman cries out as her husband beats her up, leaves her with a swollen eye (video)
- Why I Haven’t Made Millions Of Dollars – Moyo Lawal
- Indian man wears $4,000 gold face mask during coronavirus pandemic
- 33- year-old woman buries her baby alive in Kaduna
- Coronavirus: School reopens in South Africa despite virus surge
- Ned Nwoko Gifts Regina Daniels Brand New Bentley After Giving Birth (Video)
- Beijing slams US for ‘flexing muscles’ in South China Sea as aircraft carriers sent to ‘celebrate Independence Day’ — Warritatafo
- Prince Andrew cancels annual golf trip to Spain after Ghislaine Maxwell arrest
- Nigerian group declares rape ‘a pandemic’
- How Former Benueâs First Lady Yemisi Suswam Is Raising The Standard in the World of Architecture
- Footballer electrocuted at a betting shop in Lagos
- French bus driver brain dead after assault for refusing maskless riders
- Transfer: Lille president predicts Victor Osimhen’s fate at Napoli
- Dope Grandpa! Veteran Actor Richard Mofe-Damijo Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today (PHOTOS)
- Do Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Want a Zoom Wedding?
- Jeopardy’ vs. ‘Wheel of Fortune’: Which Show Pays Contestants More?
- Hushpuppi: APC irresponsible, reckless, says PDP
- Duffield deaths: Estranged husband admits murdering wife and lover
- ‘Lionel Messi will end his working and footballing life at Barcelona’: Club president, Josep Maria Bartomeu rubbishes his exit claims
- Marie Stopes Nigeria donates Misoclear X 10 Pills to Lagos State Ministry of Health, Reaffirms Commitment to Maternal Health
- Veteran Nollywood Actor Richard Mofe- Damijo Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today
- Yakubu Dogara challenges the APC to prove he has any links with suspected International Fraudster, Hushpuppi
- EPL: Nemanja Matic signs new Manchester United contract, Solskjaer reacts
- ‘This Is Us’: 4 Times Randall’s Made Us Ugly Cry
- Don Jazzy Urges Nigerians To Be Careful When They Visit Barber Shop
- Osagie Ize-Iyamu, the flag-bearer of the (APC) in the Edo state Governorship Election denies the allegation he bathed a student with acid as an undergraduate at UNIBEN
- Saudi Arabia makes masks mandatory, bans gatherings during Hajj
- It is the height of irresponsibility to have children and then look for the money to cater for them – Reno Omokri