A big piece of LGBTQ New York history will live on — for now.
The Stonewall Inn — facing an uncertain future after shutting down during the coronavirus pandemic — has raised more than $300,000 through a GoFundMe campaign and will additionally receive a $250,000 donation from the Gill Foundation.
“We’re so happy and thankful — it’s a wonderful thing,” co-owner Stacy Lentz tells The Post. “It’s providing a lifeline, quite frankly, that we desperately need.”
However, the Greenwich Village institution — designated the country’s first historic LGBTQ landmark in 2016 — isn’t out of the woods just yet.
The site of the 1969 Stonewall Riots already was four months behind on rent — which runs more than $40,000 a month — even as NYC Pride festivities came to a close this past weekend. Being shut down for months at a time means no revenue coming in and expenses like insurance, utilities, inventory and more piling up.
Celebrities including former President Barack Obama, Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, Katy Perry and Cynthia Erivo also took part in a two-hour livestream last Friday to help raise funds.
“The Gill money and the community support — these things will help us get through,” says Lentz, who says the $250,000 donation is specifically earmarked for rent. “A lot of people likely think, ‘Well, that’s a lot!’ But to be honest, there are a lot of costs involved.”
And while the bar starting selling “to-go” drinks about two weeks ago, that doesn’t bring in nearly as much money as a fully operating business. As such, Lentz says she doesn’t “see a foreseeable way out of this probably until there’s a vaccine” for COVID-19 and the bar can operate at 100% capacity again.
“We just don’t see a normal operating business until there’s a vaccine; it’s just not gonna happen,” she says.
In the meantime, Lentz says they will soldier on.
“We’re not going to let it die. We’re hopeful. We’re grateful,” she says. “It’s a living, breathing piece of history, and it just means so much to our community globally. We’re just trying to do everything we can to raise enough funds to make sure that we can get through no matter what’s thrown at us.”
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- Do You Know That Hushpuppi Has Two Children ?. Meet Daisy, One Of Hushpuppi’s Beautiful Babymamas
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- 20-Year-Old Groundnut Seller And Rape Victim Gives Birth To Triplets (Photos)
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- YAWA! “I Don Make 6 Girls Cry This Year, My Target Na 20” Man Plans To Take Revenge On Other Ladies For what His Girlfriend Did To Him
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- Who Is Claudia Conway? 5 Things To Know About Kellyanne’s Daughter – Warritatafo
- De Blasio calls budget process ‘thoughtful’ after it was ripped by Dermot Shea
- Gospel singer, Sammie Okposo and wife celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary (Photo)
- These massive sharks have teeth on their eyeballs
- 2023: I’m not part of new National Consultative Front – Olisa Agbakoba
- NBA will spend over $150 million on restart in Orlando
- Rep. Nadler cruises to expected Democratic primary win
- Video: Timo Werner reveals why he rejected Liverpool, Man Utd for Chelsea
- House rent agreement, C of O, others to carry stamp duty ― FIRS
- Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial/GOtv Boxing Gym Set to Open
- Will Smith Once Revealed the Secret Behind His and Jada Pinkett-Smith’s Lasting Marriage
- Airport in Taiwan offering fake flights for travel-starved tourists
- APC chieftains take action on suit against Oshiomhole
- Putin thanks Russians for ‘support and trust’ after vote
- President Buhari connected to Hushpuppi
- MCU Star Chris Evans Comments on Post-Marvel Life: ‘I Already Miss It’
- Missy Elliott Owns One of the Most Disliked Exotic Cars Worth Over $200k
- Police issues warning to non-travelers as flights resumes in Abuja, Lagos, others
- ‘Conan’ to ditch quarantine, tape at LA comedy club Largo
- Meghan McCain Turns on the GOP: “People Are Really Starting to Jump Ship”
- Prosecutors announce Ghislaine Maxwell charges at press conference
- Bukayo Saka signs new long-term Arsenal contract
- COVID-19: Positive cases, deaths spike as PTF lifts interstate travels
- ‘The Office’: Why 1 Character Still Gives Fans the Creeps
- Real Madrid vs Getafe: Why I excluded Hazard from squad – Zidane
- Christina Ricci gets protective order against husband James Heerdegen
- CMD tests positive for COVID-19 in Ondo
- World Athletics “very disappointed” after Russia fails to pay anti-doping fine
- Real Madrid officially confirms transfer deal for Achraf Hakimi
- ‘Dark’ on Netflix Season 3 Episode 6 Recap: “Light And Shadow”