The Coalition of Afenifere Youth Groups (CAYG) has warned apex Yoruba socio-cultural organization, Afenifere not to allow itself to be used by political enemies of the country for their selfish interests.
CAYG, in a statement signed by its Spokesman, Comrade Oloruntoba Durosinmi Etti, on Tuesday, disclosed that Afenifere is already looking like an extension of Atiku Abubakar’s political structure as currently being portrayed by its spokesperson, Yinka Odumakin.
Recall that Odumakin had last week delved into the nation’s security issues after a meeting between President Muhammadu Buhari and the Service Chiefs.
And the Coalition of Afenifere Youth Groups has asked Afenifere’s elders to call their spokesperson to order.
According to the group, Odumakin’s “callous” call for the sack of the security chiefs has further reduced the group into a political tool and risks pitching Yoruba against each other.
It added that the once reserved south-west elders are now perceived as a political pressure group that serves only the interest of the Peoples Democratic Party.
CAYG described Odumakin’s call for
the Service Chiefs sack as “laughable”, adding that “all we can see is a group of selfish people using Afenifere to give credibility to the errand they are running for their own stomach infrastructure”.
The group, however, urged those in the business of exploiting the name of Afenifere for settling personal scores or money-making to desist from doing so.
Read the full statement:
The Coalition of Afenifere Youth Groups is alarmed by the rate at which the sacredness of
Afenifere, which is otherwise the apex Pan-Yoruba socio-political organization, is being deployed as a tool for political lackeying by persons that have never hidden their transactional attitude to issues affecting the Yoruba nation.
In what is shocking to an extent we are yet to fully recover from, one Yinka Odumakin, in his capacity as the spokesperson of Afenifere mixed politics and personal views with the lofty ideals for which the group is known for. Odumakin practically rehashed views expressed by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) by retorting that President Muhammadu Buhari should fire the nation’s heads of military services the same way he sacked the National Working Committee of his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), last week.
Describing such puerile assertion as irresponsible will be putting it mildly. Odumakin, by such callous deployment of Afenifere for politiscore-settling long risks pitching Yoruba against each other. Persons of the Yoruba nation are in the APC and PDP and an organization that is meant to protect the interests of people across both divides ought to have given neutrality in matters like this the deserved primacy.
Being youth, we may be young, but our history books teach us how threading the kind of path Odumakin has taken was instrumental to the infamous Operation Wetie of 1965 and the Post-Election Riots of 1983 in parts of south-west Nigeria. This is a scenario we never want a repeat of and calling people exhibiting behaviour or of Odumakin to order is a key step towards ensuring that the Yoruba are never again pitched against each other to the death over political differences.
The Coalition of Afenifere Youth Groups is therefore compelled to call on the elders’ wing of Afenifere not to turn itself into an extension of PDP’s Atiku Abubakar’s political structure as currently being done by the spokesperson of the group, Yinka Odumakin. It is high time the elders and the general public knew that Odumakin has reduced once-revered group into a political pressure group that serves only the interest of the PDP or that of a few selected members in the country.
But for the political colouration already given to it, we would have described the call for the sack of the service chiefs as laughable because all we can see is a group of selfish people using Afenifere to give credibility to the errand they are running for their own stomach infrastructure. Had they not been swayed by the money they are being paid they would have realized that their unsolicited counsel to President Buari, if heeded, is precisely the kind that would have made the administration to fail or become a laughing stock.
The call for the sack of the service chiefs has been made by every other clown in the circuit that it has become a distraction that any wise leader will be deaf to especially at a time that the service and Security Chiefs are in the war room strategizing on how to execute their mandate, therefore, fore urge that anyone in the business of exploiting the name of Afenifere for settling personal scores or money-making should desist from doing so. Such people are likely to cause more confusion in the country by picking politicians’ briefs instead of making interventions that benefit the entire country.
If our elders are keen on making contributions to end the spate of crimes and security breaches they identified then they should sensitize the entire south-west to revive the culture of sharing useful information with law enforcement to assist in combating these crimes.
Culled from 9news Nigeria
Source: Eco City Reporters
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- “Did Your Husband Beat You Again” Reactions as Mercy Aigbe Shares new pictures with stitches on her head (PICS)
- Bobrisky’s Contender posts Picture Of Himself In Wedding Gown
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- “Dating a yahoo boy is the most dangerous thing any girl should indulge in” – Lady narrates how her boyfriend almost used her for money ritual in Asaba
- Victor Osuagwu’s daughter shares her father’s epic reply after she told him “I love you”
- Kanu has been vindicated by Magu’s suspension — IPOB
- Northern House of Assembly speakers lament security situation in region
- Devastated 4-year-old loses it over lack of ‘fun’ during pandemic lockdown
- Video: News Round Up
- U.S.-based fertiliser coy to establish African branch in Kebbi
- Vandal dumps red paint on ‘Black Lives Matter’ mural outside Trump Tower
- I’m Two Weeks Pregnant – Bobrisky Reveals He’s Pregnant
- Kano Emirate bans indiscriminate horse riding
- Cuomo says Trump’s handling of COVID-19 makes Richard Nixon ‘look innocent’
- Nigeria’s stock market opens week with N55bn loss
- Lawmaker calls on Senators, Reps to shelve annual recess for electoral, constitutional reforms
- Does ‘Foodie Love’ Signal HBO Max’s Spanish Programming Ambitions?
- ‘Star Wars’ animated series ‘The Bad Batch’ coming to Disney+
- Jason Oppenheim getting hundreds of resumés after ‘Selling Sunset’
- BFFs Oprah Winfrey and Gayle King reunite after months apart
- COVID-19 Deaths: South Africa overtakes Egypt as Nigeria remains among top list
- Texas dog first animal in state confirmed to have coronavirus
- Bitcoin scammers have reportedly swiped $24M this year
- Chris Russo couldn’t resist WFAN jab while mocking ESPN Radio change
- Why Texas coronavirus death toll may be higher than officially reported
- NYPD cop tasers Black Lives Matter protester during Bay Ridge clash
- Ivory Coast Vice President, Daniel Kablan Duncan, quits
- How auto water sprinkler system doused WTC fire ― Ibukun Adeogun
- Minimum Wage: Rights Commission begs staff to shelve strike
- Solskjaer says will keep faith with De Gea
- Justin Trudeau says he discussed Black Lives Matter movement with Trump
- Yankees teammates thought outcast was a ‘serial killer’
- Ivory Coast Vice President Daniel Kablan Duncan resigns, days after Prime Minister’s death
- Coronavirus resurgence prompts Hong Kong Disneyland shutdown — again
- ‘It happens every day’ -Wilfried Zaha responds with powerful statement after 12 year old boy is arrested for racially abusing him
- Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms joins Gov. Cuomo’s coronavirus briefing