Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s Fleabag is truly great television. Not only does it star Waller-Bridge as the lead character, but she also wrote it and created it. The show really dove into a female character that television doesn’t often show; she’s messy and has no clue how to deal with her chaos. Not to mention, the breaking of the fourth wall is another endearing and hilarious aspect.
Since Killing Eve is so different from Fleabag, it might be a surprise that Waller-Bridge created and was the showrunner for the first season of the assassin/spy thriller. But the different spots of dark comedy definitely give it away. And while Waller-Bridge isn’t in the show on-screen, she almost was.
Phoebe Waller-Bridge was the Season 1 showrunner for ‘Killing Eve’
Killing Eve is based on the Villanelle novel series by Luke Jennings. There are, of course, key differences between the two works, but the lead characters are the same. And Waller-Bridge was a major catch for the series, as Sarah Barnett, president and general manager of BBC America, told Variety in 2018.
And while Fleabag and Killing Eve are so different, Waller-Bridge was, obviously, able to make it work and make it work well.
“My instinct is the more serious the scene, the more I need to undercut it,” Waller-Bridge told Variety. “The element of surprise is the most important thing and what keeps me interested in writing. I can feel it if I’ve written that predictable or boring line, and I will carry that around with me all day.”
When developing the series, she almost wrote a part for herself, but it didn’t fit
Obviously Waller-Bridge is outwardly known for her acting in Fleabag, but Killing Eve didn’t seem to have a fit for her as an actor. At the Close Up with The Hollywood Reporter’s Comedy Actresses Roundtable in 2019, Waller-Bridge explained why she didn’t write a part for herself.
“I guess, acting in Killing Eve, very early on, it just didn’t feel right. And I don’t really know why. I just felt like, I’m not in there, I can’t see it,” she said. “And then we had conversations with producers and I sort of spent about 15 minutes trying to turn one of the characters into something I could play and the character was just going, ‘Uh, I don’t want you anywhere near me.’”
Waller-Bridge said it felt “more organic” to listen to that voice telling her the character wouldn’t work. Which, of course, is much different than with Fleabag, which came “from the depths” of the actor.
The roles of Villanelle and Eve needed to be Comer and Oh
And it wasn’t just any part she was going to write herself in for Killing Eve. It seemed like early on she was going to play either Eve or Villanelle. But, again, it didn’t seem right. Plus, these characters had very distinct personalities that Waller-Bridge needed to cast others in.
“I just had a really strong instinct that there should be this age gap because I just felt like it was something I hadn’t seen. I’m not a 25-year-old Jodie Comer – I mean, let’s be frank,” Waller-Bridge told The Mirror U.K. last June. “And I don’t know if I could have scaled a wall quite like she could have done, and I’m not in my early 40s either.”
So when it came to finding the perfect Eve Polastri, Sandra Oh had the “acting chops” needed for the role and could handle the part. And for Villanelle, Jodie Comer came in with a “girl next door” type of anonymity and her acting was up to par as well. Three seasons later, and those casting choices are definitely holding up.
Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet
What will make you commit suicide?
- We are not from the Zoo, we are Biafrans – Idoma People Declares (video)
- Watch The Adorable daughters Of Actress Nadia Buari Help Take Out Her Braids (Video)
- Lady dies in fatal accident in Suleja, her identify unknown
- Toyin Abraham and Husband, Kolawole Ajeyemi get Romantic while Dancing (Video)
- APC: How we rigged Ondo Election to make Akeredolu Governor in 2016 – Abegunde
- COVID-19: Another lockdown possible, if… ― FG tells Nigerians
- I was paid N5,000 to murder medical doctor in Zamfara – Suspect
- Akuapem Poloo Speaks After Her Arrest By The Police
- Popular Actor Uche Maduagwu Shades Tacha
- Regina Daniels & Other Nollywood Actresses Who Had A Male As Their First Child
- See Tonto Dikeh’s Reactions After She Saw A Photoshopped Photo Of Herself & Bobrisky
- Hushpuppi: Protesters storm US Embassy, demand arrest of Atiku, Dino Melaye [PHOTOS]
- New Song: Sound Sultan – Fayaa Fayaa Ft. Duktor Sett
- Teddi Mellencamp Reveals Daughter Dove Needs To Have Neurosurgery – Warritatafo
- Disinfection Of Schools To Begin Tuesday, FG Reveals
- Herbalist Used Pastor For Ritual In Osun State (Video)
- Transfer rumours: Rice, Koulibaly, Skriniar, Milinkovic-Savic, Ake, Edouard
- New Update on makeup artist, Deborah Tushima, who was poisoned at her birthday party over iphone 11, slupmed and died while dancing – Family explains what led to her death
- Davido’s cousin, Adenike, gets Benz gift from dad as she graduates
- Lizzo Kicked Out Of Vacation Rental & Accuses Landlord Of Police Threats – Warritatafo
- Brittany Matthews reacts to Patrick Mahomes’ monster Chiefs contract
- Bandits surrender as Nigerian Army destroys terrorists’ hideouts, captures logistics’ supplier [PHOTOS]
- Man shot dead in Bronx while walking with 6-year-old daughter
- Jon Gosselin Explains Why Collin Is Missing From 4th Of July Photo – Warritatafo
- Ebuka Obi-Uchendu announces he has been confirmed #BBNaija season 5 host
- Max Irons reveals he was ‘sweating and shaking’ during gun training for Condor
- Nets raising NBA restart expectations despite decimated roster
- Nigeria is worried over impact of COVID-19 – Ehanire
- Yankees’ Aaron Judge may really be ready for Opening Day
- PACAC says Malami is arrow-head of power bloc, as panel grills Magu for hours
- New Interview – Warritatafo
- Indian hemp: 70-yr-old woman, 4 others docked in Osun
- IGR: Investment experts seek review of tax collection initiative
- Disney Star Sebastian Athie dies at age 24
- Russian navy to receive some 40 warships this year
- NGO campaigns against rape in Abuja
- ‘Athlete A’: What Is the New Netflix Documentary About?
- Kanayo becomes a lawyer after passing law school
- Yankees are battle-proven for craziness of 2020 MLB season
- New York father fatally shot while holding daughter’s hand (Photos)
- Prison officials want to ensure Ghislaine Maxwell doesn’t meet same fate as Epstein
- #Coronavirus: Boris Johnson criticised over care home comments
- State govts responsible for COVID-19 patients’ evacuation — NCDC
- KJ Apa Shows Off His Dancing Skills & Beard In New TikTok Video – Warritatafo
- Covid-19: Teaching staff exempted from Kano worker’s resumption order
- COVID-19: FG dispatches 17-member team to C/River
- PACAC releases preliminary report on Magu’s invitation by presidential Panel
- I Masturbate When I Breastfeed My Son” – Woman Confesses [Read Here]
- Expert claims Americans will wear masks for ‘several years’ due to coronavirus
- Official Video: Zinoleesky – Mapariwo
- Dax Shepard and Monica Padman Defend ‘The Good Place’ Producer Megan Amran Over Racist Tweets
- ‘NCIS: Los Angeles’: Sweetest Things LL Cool J and Chris O’Donnell Said About Their Friendship
- See photos of Yankees star Gerrit Cole’s ‘adorable’ baby boy
- Domestic flights will no longer serve meals aboard — Aviation minister
- ‘Temptation Island’: Morgan Lolar Claims Evan Smith Tried to Steal Her Engagement Ring While She Slept