A woman in India, who local media report is 28 years old, has given birth to a baby girl with no arms and legs in the Sakla village of Sironj Tehsil in the Vidisha district yesterday.
According to reports, the baby was born with an autosomal recessive congenital disorder – Tetra-Amelia – which is characterised by the absence of all four limbs.
Footage shows a woman holding the baby which is missing both its arms and legs and is wrapped in a blanket.
Dr Suresh Aggarwal, a paediatrician at Rajiv Gandhi Smriti Hospital, Sironj, said the baby is perfectly healthy.
Doctors suggest the baby will be taken in for further assessments to check if her internal organs have developed properly.
Tetra-Amelia syndrome is a genetic disorder caused by mutations in the WNT3 gene and is extremely rare.
According to Bhopal CMHO and paediatrician Dr Prabhakar Tiwari, the syndrome affects one in 100,000 newborns. He said this is the first such case of his career.
A 2011 study by Dr Eva Bermejo-Sanchez of the Research Centre on Congenital Anomalies (CIAC) at the Instituto de Salud Carlos III in Spain shows that the disorder occurs in around one out of every 71,000 pregnancies.
There have been several cases of the syndrome over the years, including RJ Wilson from Florence, South Carolina.
His mother Jasmine Self was five months pregnant when an ultrasound scan revealed her little one’s limbs were not developing.
After being advised to terminate her pregnancy, Ms Self and her boyfriend Rondell Wilson decided to not to give up on their baby.
Another inspiration case is Nicholas James Vujicic, born in 1982, who was also born with the syndrome.
The Australian father-of-four is now a renowned motivational speaker and author of several books.
He has travelled to more than 44 countries to advocate positivity and motivation despite his circumstances.
He offers his guidance and sharing his story with school students, prison inmates and community groups.
Speaking to 60 Minutes in an interview last year alongside his wife, Kanae, he revealed that schoolyard bullies were often cruel and by age 10 he had attempted to take his own life.
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- Do You Know That Hushpuppi Has Two Children ?. Meet Daisy, One Of Hushpuppi’s Beautiful Babymamas
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- 20-Year-Old Groundnut Seller And Rape Victim Gives Birth To Triplets (Photos)
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- YAWA! “I Don Make 6 Girls Cry This Year, My Target Na 20” Man Plans To Take Revenge On Other Ladies For what His Girlfriend Did To Him
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- Khloé Kardashian Decided to Get Back Together With Tristan Thompson for 1 Reason
- ‘Jealous’ family dog mauls newborn babies to death in Brazil
- WHO issues warning as domestic flights resume in Nigeria, African countries
- Vincent Okobi, ex-Nigerian Ambassador to Togo is dead
- How ‘Star Wars’ Inspired David Corenswet to Become an Actor
- BBNaija Season 5: Potential Housemates on quarantine ahead of July 19 premiere
- COVID-19: FG warns against rejection, delayed testing of emergency patients
- Oduenyi: I want to play in Austria Bundesliga
- Jeffrey Epstein statue left outside Albuquerque’s city hall
- AD: Why I lost 2019 gubernatorial election in Oyo- Oyedele Alao reveals
- CrossFit co-founder Lauren Jenai marries Franklin Tyrone Tucker while he’s under house arrest
- Chad Michael Murray Sends Birthday Love To ‘OTH’ Star Hilarie Burton – Warritatafo
- Fear of racism threatens Osimhen’s Napoli move
- COVID-19: Akeredolu needs prayers – PDP aspirant, Okunomo
- Argentinian man sailed alone for 85 days after coronavirus canceled his flight home
- ‘The Office’: Why Jim and Pam’s Fights and Other Scenes Were Cut Shorter Than What Was Scripted
- Telecoms record 189,282,796 voice subscriptions in Q1
- Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games: Nigeria picks two more tickets in table tennis
- Cassie Randolph details ‘awful few months’ after Colton Underwood split
- Roger Milla regrets Cameroun’s loss to England at Italia 90
- Elon Musk and Kanye West twin in orange with Yeezy sneakers
- Abia Govt denies relocating cattle market for RUGA settlement
- India approves purchase of 33 Russian-made fighter jets as part of $2.4bn arms deal — Warritatafo
- Furloughed man dies from deep vein thrombosis after hours of gaming on lockdown
- Facebook is killing Lasso, its TikTok copycat app
- Interstate travels: FRSC, Nigerian Army, DSS meet
- Kogi security trust fund boss dies
- COVID-19: Five Policemen Apprehended Over Death Of Father, Son
- Cam Newton’s Patriots deal has just $550K of guaranteed money
- Why Lateef Adedimeji will be the biggest Yoruba movie star after Femi Adebayo and Odunlade Adekola