…As number of infected health workers in Enugu rises to 83
…Enugu Judge died of hepatitis, not Covid-19
…24 health workers infected in Ebonyi
By Emma Nnadozie, Anayo Okoli & Peter Okutu
Special Adviser to Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra on Indigenous Medicine and Herbal Practice, Dr Onyekachukwu Ibezim has said that the government had identified six herbal drugs that could be used to manage coronavirus in the state.
Ibezim told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Awka yesterday that the agency had forwarded the products to the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
He said a team of medical experts was assembled to review the process before they decided to take the products to NAFDAC for its final confirmation and approval for public consumption.
Ibezim said the products were in capsule, powdered and liquid forms.
He urged herbal practitioners in the state who peddle different types of herbal products without seeking approval from the government agency in-charge of herbal products to desist forthwith.
“We have a team of medical experts in all areas of medicines who are saddled with the responsibility of reviewing herbal products in the state before they would be made public for use.
“We will give approval if the products fit our standard. We do not discriminate, the government has provided a friendly environment for business to thrive for all genuine herbal practitioners despite their states of origin,” he said.
“Anambra Traditional Medicine Board has been assigned the responsibility of properly analysing herbal products in the state and declare them fit for use by the public or otherwise before they are pushed out; all practitioners are advised to comply,” he said.
Ibezim said there were several unauthorised herbal products being peddled by some practitioners in the state, adding that government would soon clamp down on such.
He said the state government had provided enough support for the agency to ensure that fake herbal products are wiped out from circulation.
Ibezim said the agency had achieved some results and is desirous to consolidate on its past success while commending the governor for his support to the office of Indigenous Medicine and Herbal Practice.
“All our success is attributed to Governor Obiano’s interest in providing total health for the residents of Anambra,” he said.
24 health workers infected in Ebonyi
Meantime, no fewer than 24 health workers have been infected with Covid-19 in Ebonyi State since the outbreak of the pandemic in the state.
This is as Governor David Umahi, weekend, announced that his administration has approved N105 million for the purchase of medical equipment for Ivo, Ishielu and Ikwo General Hospitals in the state.
According to him, the availability of these equipment will enable health practitioners tackle the pandemic without any reservation.
From reports available, the number of cases in the state has risen to 503.
Commissioner for Health, Daniel Umezuruike who confirmed the figure while giving an update on the outbreak of the disease to Governor David Umahi at the new Government House, Abakaliki, added that a total of 357 of the infected persons have recovered and discharged in line with NCDC guidelines.
He said a total of three deaths have so far been recorded in the state.
Mr Umezuruike also added that a total of 3,369 samples have been tested in the state.
Responding, Governor Umahi expressed worry at the increasing number of cases recorded in the state despite the efforts put in place by his administration to combat the pandemic.
He frowned at the non-chalant attitude of residents whom he said have refused to obey safety protocols leading to increase in Covid-19 cases, even within the communities.
Enugu Judge died of hepatitis not Covid-19
The family of Enugu State High Court Judge, Justice Fidelis Ngwu, yesterday, said he died as a result of hepatitis C which resulted in damaging his liver and not Covid-19 as widely published.
First son of the Judge, Barr. Chukwuebuka Ngwu said in a statement that his father was told by doctors six months ago that the sickness will eventually lead to his death and he was prepared for the ultimate end.
The statement read: “I thank the good Lord for this beautiful soul that he gave me for a father. As you deemed it right to take my father to heaven, I thank you Lord. My father died in the early hours of today (yesterday). I held him in my arms as he breathed his last. He suffered hepatitis C for close to a decade and it destroyed his liver.
“He was diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer and was given 6 months to live. He accepted death with courage and worshipped the Lord till his death. It is not a sad day; rather it’s a glorious day in heaven.”
Meanwhile, no date has been fixed for the burial.
83 health workers infected inEnugu Also yesterday, the number of health workers infected by coronavirus in Enugu State rose to 83, according to the State Commissioner for health, Prof. Emmanuel Obi.
Obi, however explained that the number is from both government and private hospitals, saying that the state has been doing its best to provide the necessary needs of the frontline workers in the battle against the spread of the virus.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- “Ole Ni Everybody” Naira Marley Mocks EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu Over His DSS’ Arrest
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Nigerian Foreign Exchange Traders Lament Over Naira’s Devaluation
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- 14 bodies recovered from River Benue after sunday’s boat mishap
- Josh Brolin and wife Kathryn Boyd expecting second child together
- Why Baker Mayfield, wife Emily celebrated on Patrick Mahomes’ contract day
- Claps Back After He Slams Him For Drake Diss – Warritatafo
- “Most entertainers are broke, Covid-19 has shown who saved for raining day”- Rapper Illbliss
- Johnny Depp testifies that Amber Heard may have once defecated in their bed
- Why Did Jay-Z and Beyoncé Skip Out on Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s Wedding?
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus
- Edo 2020: Obaseki ‘ll be shocked at outcome of election ― Ganduje
- Car speeds away with protester on hood after alleged lynching attempt in Indiana
- Madonna, 61, poses topless in mirror selfie
- EFCC: More details on Magu’s probe emerge
- Enough Is Enough, Reopen All Churches Now — CAN Urges Lagos, Others
- The Song From ‘Hamilton’ That Was Inspired By a Lot of Beatles Songs
- Paris Jackson gets candid about self-harm and depression
- President Buhari makes new appointments,See categories
- #Coronavirus: Majority testing positive have no symptoms
- Ondo: APC label resignation of Dep. Gov, SSG from party as unreasonable
- Country singer Lindsay Ell reveals she was raped at 13 and 21 years old
- We won’t step down for defected deputy gov, Ondo PDP aspirants insist
- Chima: Court remands four Police officers over alleged torture, death of mechanic
- How IPOB Deputy Leader, Uche Mefor cautioned Members attacking ‘Prophetess’ Who Spoke on Radio Biafra
- This is why there’s so much pink snow covering the alps
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Magu
- ‘Blue Bloods’: Why Did Henry Walk With a Limp at the Beginning of the Series?
- Beware of FAKE JOURNALISTS! Daily Beast exposes network of false personas that tricked news outlets into publishing their op-eds — Warritatafo
- Reporter’s viral Pablo Sandoval photo drew fat shaming and regrets
- COVID-19: Taraba govt laments non compliance to safety rules in state
- EFCC: Place Magu on watchlist – Fayose tells Buhari
- Mookie Betts’ MLB free agency hinges on a tense Dodgers season