Angolan prosecutors on Tuesday sought a seven-year jail sentence for the son of former president Jose Eduardo dos Santos for allegedly embezzling $500 million from state coffers.
Jose Filomeno dos Santos, 42, was summoned before Angola’s Supreme Court in December over allegations he tried to steal as much as $1.5 billion (1.3 euros) from the sovereign wealth fund, which he oversaw from 2013 to 2018.
Nicknamed “Zenu”, he was charged with pilfering $500 million (445 million euros) from the fund — alongside the former governor of the national bank of Angola (BNA), Valter Filipe da Silva, and two others.
The funds were alleged transferred to the funds to a Swiss bank during the dos Santos presidency.
All four have denied the accusations.
Deputy attorney-general Pascoal Joaquim asked judges to sentence Zenu and one collaborator to seven years in prison and hand the other two a 10-year sentence.
“Since the beginning, the defendants have always had the intention to bypass the Angolan state,” Joaquim told the court in the capital Luanda.
Zenu is the first member of the former presidential family to be prosecuted as part an anti-corruption campaign lead by President Joao Lourenco, who came to power in 2017
His predecessor led Angola for 38 years, leaving a legacy of poverty and nepotism in a country still recovering from a 1975-2002 civil war.
Zenu was appointed head of the $5 billion fund in 2013, 34 years into his father’s reign.
His half-sister Isabel dos Santos was ousted from her position as chair of the state oil giant Sonangol in November 2017.
Cited by Forbes magazine as the richest woman in Africa, she is accused of diverting billions of dollars from state companies during the dos Santos presidency — allegations she has vehemently denied.
In December a court in Luanda issued a “preventative” order to freeze her business assets as part of the investigation.
Earlier on Tuesday, Lourenco reiterated his intention to combat graft.
“Over the past two years we have done a lot and the evidence is there,” the president told members of his ruling People’s Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) party.
“The authors are paying for the crimes they committed, which is different to what has been done… since independence.”
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- Do You Know That Hushpuppi Has Two Children ?. Meet Daisy, One Of Hushpuppi’s Beautiful Babymamas
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- 20-Year-Old Groundnut Seller And Rape Victim Gives Birth To Triplets (Photos)
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- YAWA! “I Don Make 6 Girls Cry This Year, My Target Na 20” Man Plans To Take Revenge On Other Ladies For what His Girlfriend Did To Him
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- Khloé Kardashian Decided to Get Back Together With Tristan Thompson for 1 Reason
- ‘Jealous’ family dog mauls newborn babies to death in Brazil
- WHO issues warning as domestic flights resume in Nigeria, African countries
- Vincent Okobi, ex-Nigerian Ambassador to Togo is dead
- How ‘Star Wars’ Inspired David Corenswet to Become an Actor
- BBNaija Season 5: Potential Housemates on quarantine ahead of July 19 premiere
- COVID-19: FG warns against rejection, delayed testing of emergency patients
- Oduenyi: I want to play in Austria Bundesliga
- Jeffrey Epstein statue left outside Albuquerque’s city hall
- AD: Why I lost 2019 gubernatorial election in Oyo- Oyedele Alao reveals
- CrossFit co-founder Lauren Jenai marries Franklin Tyrone Tucker while he’s under house arrest
- Chad Michael Murray Sends Birthday Love To ‘OTH’ Star Hilarie Burton – Warritatafo
- Fear of racism threatens Osimhen’s Napoli move
- COVID-19: Akeredolu needs prayers – PDP aspirant, Okunomo
- Argentinian man sailed alone for 85 days after coronavirus canceled his flight home
- ‘The Office’: Why Jim and Pam’s Fights and Other Scenes Were Cut Shorter Than What Was Scripted
- Telecoms record 189,282,796 voice subscriptions in Q1
- Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games: Nigeria picks two more tickets in table tennis
- Cassie Randolph details ‘awful few months’ after Colton Underwood split
- Roger Milla regrets Cameroun’s loss to England at Italia 90
- Elon Musk and Kanye West twin in orange with Yeezy sneakers
- Abia Govt denies relocating cattle market for RUGA settlement
- India approves purchase of 33 Russian-made fighter jets as part of $2.4bn arms deal — Warritatafo
- Furloughed man dies from deep vein thrombosis after hours of gaming on lockdown
- Facebook is killing Lasso, its TikTok copycat app
- Interstate travels: FRSC, Nigerian Army, DSS meet
- Kogi security trust fund boss dies
- COVID-19: Five Policemen Apprehended Over Death Of Father, Son
- Cam Newton’s Patriots deal has just $550K of guaranteed money
- Why Lateef Adedimeji will be the biggest Yoruba movie star after Femi Adebayo and Odunlade Adekola