The nation’s top infectious disease experts on Tuesday slammed airlines planning full flights as the coronavirus continues to spread throughout the country.
Several US airlines have stated they’re limiting capacity on planes to between 60 and 67 percent.
But, United Airlines has not promised to leave seats empty, and American announced last week that it will drop such measures and begin filling its flights to the brim beginning Wednesday as companies try to increase revenue.
“Obviously that is something that is of concern. I’m not sure what went into that decision making,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told a Senate panel.
“I think in the confines of an airplane that becomes even more problematic,” he added.
Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, joined Fauci in expressing “substantial disappointment” in the company’s decision.
“I can say this is under critical review by us at CDC. We don’t think it’s the right message,” Redfield added.
The heads of United and American airlines argued that it’s impossible to maintain social distancing on a plane — even with middle seats empty — and that other safety measures are being taken, like mask-wearing, enhanced cleaning and air-filtration systems.
“It’s less about social distancing and it’s more about the air and quality of air onboard the airplane that makes people safe,” said United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby.
American Airlines spokesman Ross Feinstein said the company has “multiple layers of protection in place for those who fly with us, including required face coverings, enhanced cleaning procedures, and a pre-flight COVID-19 symptom checklist.”
American flyers have the option of changing flights if they feel their flight is too full, Feinstein added.
After multiple reports that airlines were not enforcing their own mask mandates, United, American and Delta by last week announced that they will be banning passengers who refuse to cover their nose and mouth.
The policies come as airlines look to recoup enormous financial losses due to the pandemic, which brought a 95 percent drop in passengers during April.
Passengers have slowly begun flying again, but travel is still down 75 percent from normal.
With Post wires
Source: New York Post
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Danjuma Breaks Silence On Frozen Account After Magu Arrest
- Embattled EFCC boss, Magu, threatens hunger strike
- “It Is Not My Fault Multichoice Wanted Me To Be on So Many Episodes, I’m Blessed” – KimOprah Reacts To Critics
- Ned Nwoko is NOT The Father Of Regina Daniels Baby – Her Ex-Boyfriend Exposes The UNTOLD TRUTH
- Mercy Johnson and Other Top Nigerian Celebrities Killed Simi Duduke Challenge
- Popular Nigerian Celebrity Stumbles Over His Words On Simi’s Latest Slaying Photo
- See Ini Edo’s Reaction To Sick Ufuoma and Other Celebrities Who Cried Out For Medical Attention
- See Ini Edo’s beautiful sister who is beautiful as she is
- We’re afraid to confront Lucifer, Church of Satan founder —Abia community residents
- What will you tell Yahoo boys,Reno ask Magu
- Instagram influencer, Poshnicki in tears as trailer crushes her less than 2-month-old SUV
- Funke Akindele did not buy me a house – Pa James Ajirebi cries out in new Video, spills the truth of what Funke Akindele did (VIDEO)
- Actress, Linda Ejiofor welcomes baby with her husband Ibrahim Suleiman
- Naira Marley Signs Emo Grae To Marlian Music
- Italy bans entry from 13 countries over COVID-19 fears
- Hot Music: The Sarz Academy Ft. Wizkid & Sarz – Hold Me
- Top 10 Most Followed African Celebrities on Instagram
- Rapper, Pop Smoke’s social media led killers to LA home after he posted his address online by mistake
- Everything you need to know about today’s Champions League & Europa League draw
- BREAKING: Prominent Lagos Politician, Tunde Buraimoh is Dead
- Church of Satan denies Abia’s Lucifer
- Full List Of Champions League Draw
- IMPEACHMENT: Set up panel to probe Ondo dep gov, Assembly tells chief judge
- SEE The Popular Nigerian Personality Behind The Reason People Are Doing “Don’t Leave Me” Challenge
- Lagos Rats Are Demonic” – Man Cries Out After Rodents Eat Up His Stashed Naira Notes (Video)
- Ibrahim Magu quizzed over 380 houses, 7 crude oil-laden ships, N37bn Assets
- Young girl in severe pain after her aunt poured hot water on her in Kogi State (photos)
- Steven Gerrard tore pen!s during a match so badly it left Doctor shocked
- UCL: Man City To Face Juve Or Lyon If They Pass Madrid Test
- Sexual Harassment Bill, A welcome Development — Media Women Forum
- Johnny Depp called Amber Heard a ‘50 cent stripper’ in texts to friend
- Fatal ‘unknown Pneumonia’ deadlier than Coronavirus breaks out in Kazakhstan
- EPL: Gary Neville compares Greenwood to Martial, Rashford
- UEFA Europa League quarter-finals, semi-finals, final draws out
- New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: ‘Palm Springs’ on Hulu + More
- Moment Naya Rivera and son arrived Lake Piru before her disappearance (Video)
- 20 deals on resistance bands, a rowing machine and more to help you get your workout on at home
- Ondo CJ Rejects Assembly’s Request To Probe Akeredolu’s deputy
- Amazing Painting Of Sarkodie From Talented Ghanaian Painter
- Osinbajo’s daughter, Kiki clears air on alleged ownership of N800m property in Abuja
- Ondo Chief Judge Rejects Assembly’s Request to Set Up Probe Panel To Investigate Deputy Governor
- Man remanded for allegedly raping, impregnating physically challenged girl
- UEFA Champions League quarter-finals, semi-finals, final draws out
- Oyo govt discharges 23 COVID-19 patients, confirms 20 deaths
- Buhari Has Been Fair To The Igbos Despite Low Votes – Femi Adesina
- Trump says he’ll wear a mask on trip to Walter Reed medical center
- Mike Tyson Reveals His True Identity
- Beware of fraudsters selling government houses – Lagos govt warns residents
- BREAKING: Buhari approves Ibrahim Magu’s suspension as EFCC Chairman, announces replacement
- Naya Rivera’s ex-husband Ryan Dorsey reunites with son after disappearance
- Osinbajo Must Resign If He Wants To Sue Me – Jackson Ude
- President Buhari Signs N10.8 Trillion Revised 2020 Budget
- Hear Kid Cudi, Eminem’s new song ‘Adventures of Moon Man and Slim Shady’
- Breaking: Buhari suspends EFCC boss, Magu
- Police, others lack integrity to Chair EFCC – AIED