The Lagos State House of Assembly has called on the governor of the State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu to issue an order for the renaming of all sites and monuments that have been named after colonial masters in the state.
The move comes as Americans have continued to destroy statues and monuments of slave masters in the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests.
The Speaker of the House, Mudashiru Obasa has also directed its clerk, Azeez Sani, to address a letter to President Muhammadu Buhari, seeking an Executive Order that all streets named after colonial masters should be changed.
He stated that the intention of the motion was not about deleting history, adding that history could not be changed. According to Obasa, the kind of treatments meted on George Floyd in the United States must be stopped and that we should support those who protest against such an act.
He also said the names of some of some buildings and streets renamed after colonial masters should be changed because “it reminds us of these people that enslaved our people.”
“The motion is about us, about Africans. We have to tell the world about our own civilisation. The resolve is not broad enough. It is not about Lagos State alone. We have to tell African Union about reparation started by the late Chief M.K.O Abiola” he declared
Contributing to the motion, Hon. Gbolahan Yishawu representing Eti-Osa Constituency 2, opined that any history that makes a black person feel inferior should be changed.
”This is a right step in the right direction and we need to change our psyche and history that will not make us feel as human beings. We need to change the narrative that connotes superiority in our history. I want my colleagues to support the motion” he said
On May 25, 2020, George Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, was killed in Minneapolis, Minnesota, during an arrest for allegedly using a counterfeit bill.
Source: Linda Ikeji’s Blog
What will make you commit suicide?
- Message to Goodluck Jonathan: Assassins’ll attempt your life this year but’ll fail — Prophet Serimoedumu
- Otedola hosts DJ Cuppy, Temi and boyfriend, Mr Eazi in London (Video)
- Tijani Oniru, one of the sons of late Oba of Oniru attacked by “security men” (video)
- ‘Putin’s limo brand’ Aurus sedan gets smashed in epic crash test — Warritatafo
- Top NYPD cops call for Manhattan DA Cy Vance to appear at shooting scenes
- Davido’s cousin Adenike receives a Benz as graduation gift from her dad
- Nigeria records more COVID-19 cases as death toll rises to 645
- Watch Vanguard’s top stories in 60 seconds
- Bobrisky speaks Igbo, threatens to slap small boys who sends him DM professing their love(video)
- Two die in Anambra cult clash
- Some Rescued Chibok Girls Frustrated, Abandoned, Dropped Out Of School – MBF
- Davido’s cousin, Adenike Adeleke, receives a Benz as graduation gift from her dad
- LASTMA officer commits suicide after stabbing his lover in Lagos
- The Royal Family Was Alarmed by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Spending Habits, Source Reveals
- Alleged poisoning: Family member reveals real cause of Deborah’s death
- #Coronavirus: 13 UK universities ‘could go bust without bailout’
- Sergio Ramos Talks On Referees Assisting Real Madrid To Stay Top Of LA LIGA Table
- Nigeria: Contribution of non-oil exports to economic growth
- The Rock Suffered a Tragic Loss With the Unexpected Death Of His Legendary Dad Rocky Johnson
- This is irresponsible and reckless- PDP knocks APC for calling for an investigation into Hushpuppi’s alleged links with some of its members
- New York’s Republican Party needs to be ready for Democrats to screw up
- Why Did Jessica Capshaw Leave ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ as Arizona Robbins?
- Kendall Jenner Looks Like a ‘Mean Girl’ on Instagram
- Gunmen kill 2, abduct APC chieftain, 9 others in Katsina
- Ajimobi’s fidau: Family denies Oyo dep gov access
- Beijing slams US for ‘flexing muscles’ in South China Sea as aircraft carriers sent to ‘celebrate Independence Day’ — Warritatafo
- Prince Andrew cancels annual golf trip to Spain after Ghislaine Maxwell arrest
- Nigerian group declares rape ‘a pandemic’
- Footballer electrocuted at a betting shop in Lagos
- French bus driver brain dead after assault for refusing maskless riders
- Transfer: Lille president predicts Victor Osimhen’s fate at Napoli
- Dope Grandpa! Veteran Actor Richard Mofe-Damijo Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today (PHOTOS)
- Do Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Want a Zoom Wedding?
- Jeopardy’ vs. ‘Wheel of Fortune’: Which Show Pays Contestants More?
- Hushpuppi: APC irresponsible, reckless, says PDP
- Duffield deaths: Estranged husband admits murdering wife and lover
- Veteran Nollywood Actor Richard Mofe- Damijo Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today
- Yakubu Dogara challenges the APC to prove he has any links with suspected International Fraudster, Hushpuppi
- EPL: Nemanja Matic signs new Manchester United contract, Solskjaer reacts
- ‘This Is Us’: 4 Times Randall’s Made Us Ugly Cry
- Don Jazzy Urges Nigerians To Be Careful When They Visit Barber Shop
- Osagie Ize-Iyamu, the flag-bearer of the (APC) in the Edo state Governorship Election denies the allegation he bathed a student with acid as an undergraduate at UNIBEN
- Saudi Arabia makes masks mandatory, bans gatherings during Hajj
- It is the height of irresponsibility to have children and then look for the money to cater for them – Reno Omokri
- ‘Jeopardy!’: Buzzy Cohen Doesn’t ‘See the Harm’ in Injecting ‘a Little Bit of Personality’ Into the Game
- Security guards shut UMTH over nonpayment of 4 months salaries
- 12-year-old boy, man killed, several injured in Brooklyn fire
- Ondo SSG resigns ahead of governorship election
- Mayorkun Discloses His Female Friend Inspired “Betty Butter” Song Featuring Davido
- Superstory TV Drama Commences New Story titled âREVENGEâ
- Nursing mother left with a swollen eye and a bleeding nose after she was battered by her husband in Lagos (video)
- 70-year-old man reportedly arrested for allegedly raping an eight-year-old girl in Minna, Niger State
- COVID-19 kill 177 in Lagos
- 70-year-old man Rapes 8-year-old Girl In Niger State, gives her N80
- Bisi Alimi says homosexuality was not a crime in Africa until the colonisers came and introduced Christianity