A judge in Brazil on Tuesday dismissed a court ruling requiring President Jair Bolsonaro to wear a face mask in public during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Judge Daniele Maranhao Costa said the order was unnecessary since face masks are already mandatory in the capital Brasilia.
The attorney general’s office, which represents the government in legal matters, made precisely that argument in its appeal filed on Friday.
Maranhao Costa, however, did not say whether the far-right president should or should not wear a mask, simply that the specific order concerning the president was redundant.
In his appeal, Bolsonaro simply asked to be treated as any other resident of the country’s federal capital, where mask use has been mandatory since April.
Breaking the rule can result in a fine of 2,000 reales — nearly $400 — and so far, the president has not been fined for failing to wear a mask.
Bolsonaro has regularly broken the social distancing measures in place in the capital, giving handshakes and hugs at rallies, hosting barbecues, hitting the shooting range and going out for hot dogs, generally without a mask.
The president, who has famously compared the virus to a “little flu,” has railed against the measures state and local authorities are taking to fight it, arguing that business closures and stay-at-home measures are needlessly wrecking the economy.
However, since the first ruling on June 22, Bolsonaro has worn a mask at all public appearances.
Brazil has the second-highest COVID-19 death toll in the world after the United States, with nearly 60,000 deaths and 1.4 million confirmed cases.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Nigerian boy who scattered his parents house explains what actually happened
- Wonder Shall Never End – Reactions as Photo Of A Lady who Bleached All Her Face But Left The Legs goes viral (PICS)
- Wild video shows woman steal pedestrian’s sneakers, strip naked in NYC
- Bukunmi Oluwasina Looks completely different in Kunle Afolayan’s Citation Movie (VIDEO)
- “There is nowhere we want to go” – Faithia Williams speaks on how she and Ex-Hsuband, Saidi Balogun meets and why she stops kissing or playing romantic movie roles (VIDEO)
- Funke Akindele gifts Pa James a new house after his house was wrecked by flood
- New Song: Tiwa Savage – Dangerous Love
- “Dr Anu showed me pepper” – Botched surgery survival, Omohtee shares her story
- “My Blessing” – Segun Ogungbe’s 2nd Wife, Wunmi Ajiboye says as she Shares Photos of her first son carrying Their Newborn Baby (PICS)
- Man builds a portable mansion after being homeless for 4 years, shares inspiring story (Photos)
- Hot Music: Saido Pee – Hello God (Prod. By Smart)
- Residents Panic over white substance seen at Anthony village in Lagos (Video)
- Erigga – “AYEME” ft. Yungzee [Video + Audio]
- ‘Jersey Shore’ Star Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi’s Daughter Can Make This 1 Iconic Face Perfectly
- “Jesus did not destroy a single shrine” – Daddy Freeze frowns at demolition of church of Satan in Abia
- Daddy Freeze frowns at the demolition of a shrine & the arrest of its founder in Abia State
- Man who was homeless for 4 years finally becomes a House-owner, shares inspiring story
- Hushpuppi has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 in prison – Kemi Olunloyo
- Judge transfers suit seeking to nullify APC NEC meeting
- Jodie Comer’s Alleged Boyfriend Has Fans Livid Because He Seems To Be a Trump Supporter
- UPDATE: There was no snow in Anthony Village Lagos, govt reveals what happened
- Girl pretends to sleep after she’s caught stealing snacks
- BREAKING: Nigerian govt postpones school resumption, 2020 WASSCE indefinitely
- Daddy Freeze Condemns Demolition Of Church Of Satan in Abia State
- Ivory Coast Prime Minister Coulibaly dies aged 61
- Rob Shares Sweet Daughter Photo – Warritatafo
- Prime Suspect actor John Benfield dies aged 68
- Patrick Mahomes’ NFL Mega-Contract Could Actually Cost Him Money in the Long Run
- She is always on her phone and it makes me jealous- Husband of lady who shared ‘suicidal posts’ on Facebook says
- LASG empowers 300 victims of Abule-Egba pipeline explosion
- Will Smith opens up about racist treatment he’s received
- US coronavirus cases soar past 3 million mark
- US tourist accused of fatally stabbing Rome cop says he was beaten in custody
- Rob Kardashian Looking For Romance After Dramatic Weight Loss – Warritatafo
- “My family is dead to me” Boy filmed destroying his parents’ home because his mom refused to meet his demands speaks up (video)
- NYCFC back in action in second game of ‘MLS is Back’ tourney
- Alex Pullin dead – Australian Olympian dies in spearfishing accident
- Witness in Trump’s impeachment retires from military amid pressure
- Netflix Has Cancelled Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Series
- #Coronavirus: Public spending on crisis soars to £190bn
- Osinbajo never received N4billion from Magu ― Akande
- Schools not re-opening anytime soon — FG
- ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’: More on How the Show Will Coordinate Its Intimate Scenes During the Pandemic
- Total Madness’ To Save Cory – Warritatafo
- Why Fall Out Boy Removed a Line About Britney Spears From a Song
- President Buhari replaces Akpabio , one other non-career Ambassador designate
- Nigeria records 406 fresh cases of COVID-19. Death toll now 684
- Gov. Diri commends FG over fire fighting assets deployment
- NYC to start painting Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower
- ‘Parks and Recreation’: Is Amy Poehler’s Leslie Knope a Trust Fund Baby? Fans Are Convinced
- How Kim Kardashian West Is Related to George W. Bush by Blood
- Florida men busted for selling bleach as ‘miracle’ coronavirus cure
- NYC parents outraged over decision for ‘blended’ learning in schools
- Denise Richards & Aaron Fight With Erika & Teddi — Recap – Warritatafo
- Champion Breweries returns to profitability as costs reduce