The New York City Council passed the city’s $88.1 billion budget just after midnight Wednesday with hopes to solve the Big Apple’s $9 billion budget shortfall — in part by slashing NYPD spending by $1 billion.
The deal became official around midnight once Councilwoman Deborah Rose became the 26th council member to vote in favor of the budget — representing a majority of the 51-person legislative body.
“Today is not a day of celebration, we are not in a time of celebration, it is the time of necessity and today’s budget agreement is one of necessity,” Council Speaker Corey Johnson said following the vote.
“Heart-wrenching, impossible choices had to be made. It was not easy,” Johnson added.
The substantial cuts to the NYPD came in response to demonstrations seeking to defund the department in the wake of George Floyd’s death at the hands of police in Minneapolis.
The effects will include reducing overtime by $352 million and trimming the size of the police force by 1,163 cops, which de Blasio insisted would not decrease public safety despite a recent surge in shootings.
The budget passed by a final vote of 32-17, with one member absent and another seat empty.
One of the most shocking votes of the night was cast by Councilman Donovan Richards (D-Queens), who voted against the budget deal.
“My concern with this budget is not just about the $1 billion cut, but more about the NYPD’s culture,” said Richards, the chairman of the committee that oversees the NYPD and the prohibitive favorite to become the next Queens Borough President.
“A $1 billion budget cut can’t address the racism that runs rampant in the NYPD,” he said.
Councilman I. Daneek Miller, a Democrat from Brooklyn, voted in favor of the budget, but voiced his opposition to downsizing the NYPD.
“Black folks want to be safe like everyone else, we just want to be respected,” Miller said. “We can’t allow folks from outside our community to lecture us about Black lives and what we need in our communities.”
Johnson said he was ultimately “disappointed” with the budget, saying he wanted deeper cuts to the NYPD and a larger reduction of its force.
“This is a budget process that involves the Mayor who would not budge on these items,” the speaker said.
Hizzoner has maintained that the cuts wouldn’t “undermine our counterterrorism capacity” in a city that is a constant target and where just last month ago a man attacked cops while shouting “Allahu Akhbar” in Brooklyn.
“It won’t be easy. We’re asking a lot of the NYPD, but the NYPD is up to the mission. I don’t have a doubt in my mind,” the mayor said. “They will find a way to be more effective and efficient, they have for years, and they will keep us safe.”
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- See List of Properties Seized From Disgraced Nigerian Fraudster, Hushpuppi
- 10 Forbidden Places In The World You Are Not Allowed To Visit (Photos)
- Have You Heard About The “Temple of Pythons” in Benin: See Photos of How it Looks Like
- Kim Kardashian West Revealed Her Biggest Regret About Dating Kanye West
- FBI Reveals The $15 Million Stolen By Woodberry From Two Chicago Based Company May Not Be Retrieved.. READ WHY
- See Why Patience Ozokwor Is Not Featuring In Movies Anymore
- Okunnu shares beautiful photos of her Daughter, Ayomide Who Just Completed High School in Canada
- Adedimeji Lateef weds ‘girlfriend’ Adebimpe Oyebade…fans react (photos)
- Mide Martins reveals she didn’t marry Afeez Owo for his looks
- Thanks For Taking Away My Virginity – 13-Year-Old Girl Tells Boyfriend As She Celebrates Him On His Birthday
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Actress in The World
- Lady With Massive Behind Causes Stir On Facebook (Photos & Video) )
- Why Ajimobi’s Wife Denied Oyo Deputy gov Access to Husband’s 8th-day Fidau Prayer
- Makeup artist, Deborah Tushima allegedly slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party (PICS)
- Adeniyi Johnson Shares Photos Showing How He And Wife, Seyi Edun, Behave When They Meet On Set (PICS)
- Ex-LASIMRA boss, Jide Odekunle, dies of COVID-19 complications in Lagos
- Kano Hisbah impound tricycle loaded with 100 cartons of alcohol
- Dubai Decide To Build An Underwater Floating Train. See photos
- The Break Up Was Good’ – Banky W Mocks DJ Cuppy
- Meet The Man That Exposed Hushpuppi And Woodberry to The FBI
- See Photo of Jaden Smith and his father will Smith that has got people talking (see screenshots)
- NNPC Announces Top-Management Level Appointments, Redeployments
- ‘Ned Dey Enjoy O’ – Social Media User Says After Seeing Ned’s Moroccan Wife’s Photo
- Actor Adedimeji Lateef marries his girlfriend Adebimpe Oyebade
- Mercy Aigbe Silences The Gram With Latest Photos
- Kylie Jenner Stuns In A Gold Dress While Rocking A Side Braid — Pic – Warritatafo
- Stream It Or Skip It: ‘Outcry’ On Showtime, A Docuseries On A High School Football Star Convicted Of Molesting Children — But There Are Doubts
- ‘Jeopardy!’: Alex Trebek on His 1 Career Regret
- COVID-19: UK Theatres, museums and galleries get £1.6billion lifeline
- Cleveland Indians should honor Larry Doby with name change: Sherman
- #Coronavirus: Arts venues welcome £1.57bn government support
- France will not ban Huawei, but encouraging 5G telcos to avoid company
- ‘L&HH’s Masika Kalysha Supports Kanye West For President: Tweets – Warritatafo
- Kumail Nanjiani Hates His Shirtless Picture and Admits It Made Him Obsessive and ‘Shallow’
- ’90 Day Fiancé’: Avery Warner Claims Black Lives Matter Is ‘Terrorizing and Trying to Submit White People Into Oppression’
- ‘LPBW’: Matt Roloff Posted a Photo of Controversial Son Jacob Roloff After Surprisingly Running Into Him
- Former Enugu SSG, Samson Ukpabi is dead
- Xavi Hernandez signs fresh One year contract with Qatari Side Al-Sadd
- Nigerian Footballer gets electrocuted at betting shop in Lagos
- Gov. Ugwuanyi offers scholarship, financial support to 10-year-old brutalized child
- Ohio town declared ‘Statuary Sanctuary City’ offers home to sculptures
- #Coronavirus: Nigeria records 603 new cases of COVID-19 – NCDC
- WAEC gives update on examination timetable
- Philadelphia protesters shut down an interstate highway
- Liverpool vs Aston Villa: Klopp hails Jones as EPL champions maintain 100% home record
- Tragedy As Three Top Nigerian Government Officials Die Of COVID-19 Complications in 24 Hours
- Bologna defeat Inter Milan at home to end title hopes
- Trump campaign to hold outdoor New Hampshire rally on Saturday
- Twitter user who accused Igbinedion staff deletes Account
- Messi’s Barcelona exit moves closer after Xavi decision
- Twitter user debunks alleged Igbinedion ex-student’s Accusation
- Sarah Jessica Parker Wears Swimsuit On 4th Of July At Hamptons Beach – Warritatafo
- Ball that struck Yankees’ Masahiro Tanaka came off bat at 112 mph
- Militias descend on Gettysburg over Antifa-rumored July 4th social media hoax
- Election 2020: Americans react as Kanye West announce he is running for US President 2020