By Chioma Obinna
A new study has shown that three-Quarters of the 200 million Nigerians are at risk of Non-Communicable Diseases, NCDs, amidst coronavirus pandemic.
The study also found that men are more at risk than women.
The year-long study which commenced in 2019, by WellNewMe in collaboration with Novartis was aimed at determining Nigerians risks for developing chronic diseases as part of the disease activities for World Hypertension Day.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), people with noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), such as hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, or cancer are at higher risk of complications of COVID-19.
The result of the study released weekend revealed that a total of 1,900 people were enrolled for the pilot, and 1,269 of them completed the assessment as part of the pilot.
The participants were drawn from different parts of Nigeria including the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, which majority of them coming from Lagos 30 percent, Oyo 8 percent, Abuja FCT 8 percent, Ogun 7 percent, and Rivers 5 percent.
Three-quarters of those who completed the assessment were found to have an increased risk of developing a chronic disease.
It was also found that risk increases as the age increases, while all of those aged 50 and above have an increased risk.
The results also showed that 43 percent of women seem more at risk than 36 percent of men for developing hypertension, while the risk increases as the age of the pilot enrolee increased.
With diabetes, it was found that almost three-quarters of those assessed had an increased risk of having diabetes with 10 percent having a high risk while men were more at risk than women. The diabetes risk also increases as the age of the pilot enrolee increases.
Some of the other interesting anecdotes from the pilot revealed that men were four times more likely to be at risk for developing the cardiac disease, and in Rivers, 85 percent of the adults assessed had an increased risk for developing chronic disease.
Commenting on the study, Co-founder of WellNewMe and author of the pilot report, Dr. Obi Igbokwe, said:” report of the pilot, while not extensive does lends importance to considerations by the Nigerian health authorities when designing the country’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, that they need factor in NCDs as well.”
Igbokwe further explained that “As patients with chronic diseases are at greater risk of the coronavirus, that in itself presents an extra burden on our already struggling health services across the country. It is also of great importance, that even when the pandemic has passed, we will still have to deal with the burden of tackling these chronic diseases which by all accounts are here to stay.”
Meanwhile, WellNewMe has designed an algorithm-based health risk assessment platform that encompasses psychological, physical, and social domains that are known to influence NCD risk and prognosis in cases of established disease.
Being a global leader in the cardiovascular healthcare space, Novartis is mobilizing the setup of these cardiovascular risk assessment stations at various pharmacies across the country with the aim of reaching a thousand patients.
The platform incorporates the ability for healthcare providers (HCPs) to standardize their approach to cardiovascular disease management by using an algorithmic process and harnessing relevant data to ensure a set of potential outputs that result in better outcomes for the patient.
WHO Regional Director for Europe, Dr. Hans Henri P. Kluge had also said that the prevention and control of NCDs have a crucial role in the COVID-19 response and if not adapted to encompass prevention and management of NCD risks, countries will fail many people at a time when their vulnerability is heightened.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- 10 Forbidden Places In The World You Are Not Allowed To Visit (Photos)
- Have You Heard About The “Temple of Pythons” in Benin: See Photos of How it Looks Like
- FBI Reveals The $15 Million Stolen By Woodberry From Two Chicago Based Company May Not Be Retrieved.. READ WHY
- Okunnu shares beautiful photos of her Daughter, Ayomide Who Just Completed High School in Canada
- See Why Patience Ozokwor Is Not Featuring In Movies Anymore
- Mide Martins reveals she didn’t marry Afeez Owo for his looks
- Adedimeji Lateef weds ‘girlfriend’ Adebimpe Oyebade…fans react (photos)
- Thanks For Taking Away My Virginity – 13-Year-Old Girl Tells Boyfriend As She Celebrates Him On His Birthday
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Actress in The World
- Makeup artist, Deborah Tushima allegedly slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party (PICS)
- Lady With Massive Behind Causes Stir On Facebook (Photos & Video) )
- Why Ajimobi’s Wife Denied Oyo Deputy gov Access to Husband’s 8th-day Fidau Prayer
- Adeniyi Johnson Shares Photos Showing How He And Wife, Seyi Edun, Behave When They Meet On Set (PICS)
- Dubai Decide To Build An Underwater Floating Train. See photos
- Ex-LASIMRA boss, Jide Odekunle, dies of COVID-19 complications in Lagos
- Kano Hisbah impound tricycle loaded with 100 cartons of alcohol
- Meet The Man That Exposed Hushpuppi And Woodberry to The FBI
- See Photo of Jaden Smith and his father will Smith that has got people talking (see screenshots)
- I Would Like To Marry Lyta’- IG Model, Coco Brown Tells Regina Daniels’ Ex, Somadina
- ‘Ned Dey Enjoy O’ – Social Media User Says After Seeing Ned’s Moroccan Wife’s Photo
- Actor Adedimeji Lateef marries his girlfriend Adebimpe Oyebade
- What Daniel Radcliffe ‘Got Away With’ While Filming ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend’
- Nigerian Musician, Skiibii Shows Off His New Mansion On His 28th Birthday (Photos)
- Kandi Burruss’ Husband Todd Begs Daughter Blaze To Say ‘Dada’ — Watch – Warritatafo
- Laide Bakare Shares location Pictures Of New Movie “OGO TUTUN”
- New York’s Republican Party needs to be ready for Democrats to screw up
- ‘The Office’: This Fan Favorite Arc From the Series ‘Could Have Been Its Own Movie’
- What new NYC budget does under cover of ‘defunding the NYPD’
- Nigeria records 544 new COVID-19 cases as total jumps to 28,711
- #Coronavirus: 13 UK universities ‘could go bust without bailout’
- LASTMA officer commits suicide after stabbing his lover in Lagos
- Rip Van Winkle: reopening in one Long Island town
- Botswana seek answers as probe into mysterious elephant deaths begin
- Illegal weekend fireworks lit up Southern California, sparking several hundred blazes
- When Led Zeppelin Dove Into Samba on a Wild ‘In Through the Out Door’ Track
- ‘Survivor’ Season 45 Could Be Epic if the Producers Use This 1 Fan Theme and Cast
- Daughter of slain Finest Miosotis Familia remembers hero mom, asks for cop respect
- Princess Diana Had the ‘Best Vacation’ at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Colorado Home
- Photographer sets up blind date photo-shoot between man and woman who were meeting for the first time (Photo)
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 5’: Do Fans Believe Alexis Mateo or India Ferrah After the Snatch Game Episode?
- With vandalism and personal threats, protests have gone beyond ‘peaceful’
- How Did Demi Lovato and Her Boyfriend Max Ehrich Meet?
- Remember When Kylie Jenner and Jaden Smith Dated?
- Conte expects Inter players to be angry after Bologna defeat
- NFL training camp rules set high bar for players to return from coronavirus
- Judi Dench Reveals How Making Tik Tok Videos ‘Saved’ Her Life
- ‘Lost’ star Josh Holloway on why he joined cable hit ‘Yellowstone’
- Controversial Mom Farrah Abraham Revealed She Had the Sex Talk With Her 11-Year-Old Daughter
- Silva says Man City has no excuse for poor away form
- NYC tattoo shop says coronavirus is becoming sought-after ink design
- The British Royal Family Is ‘Very Distressed’ That Meghan Markle Felt Unprotected During Her Pregnancy, Expert Claims
- COVID-19: Madagascar places capital on lockdown as cases rise
- Mark Cuban Supports Kanye West For President Over Trump: Tweets – Warritatafo
- ‘Outer Banks’ Fans Appreciate the Show’s Ability to Tackle Tough Issues
- Does Uncle Ben from ‘Spider-Man’ Exist in the MCU? Fans Think It’s Unlikely