The 12-man Ad hoc Expert Medical Advisory Committee (EMAC) set up by the Enugu State Government has blamed the stigmatization of patients and low compliance with stipulated safety measures as impediments to the fight against the transmission of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the State.
The committee made this observation during the June 29, 2020 meeting with allied health workers and the management of the Neuropsychatric Hospital in Enugu.
It will be recalled that the State Government had set up the committee to recommend the appropriate ways to de-escalate the transmission of the deadly virus.
In his remarks, the Chairman of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria, (PSN), Enugu state chapter, Pharm. Festus Ejiekpe reiterated the need for the government to impose stiffer measures towards ensuring stricter compliance with the protocols enunciated by the World Health Organisation (WHO), the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the state government.
Ejiekpe also faulted the stigmatization of COVID-19 patients as another obstacle to the fight against the spread of the disease, calling on the relevant authorities to strive to check such unhelpful practices.
According to the PSN chairman, such stigmatization has led some people with COVID-19 symptoms to resort to self medication or buying off-the-counter drugs from urban and rural pharmacies than seek proper diagnosis in the hospitals.
The PSN members also advocated mass enlightenment of the populace as other means of the containment of the spread of the killer virus. The team equally emphasized the need for the use of face masks, regular hand washing and the maintenance of other personal hygiene practices.
Earlier in his speech, Prof. Ejim and other members of EMAC took turns to implore the members of various health professionals in attendance to join hands with the state government towards halting the spike in the transmission of COVID-19 infection in Enugu State.
The committee also met with the Medical Director of Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Enugu,Dr. Monday Igwe, the Head, Clinical Services (HCS), Dr. Vincent Ubochi alongside other high-ranking officers during which the parties agreed on the urgency to enforce strict compliance in the markets, churches and other public places.
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- 7 policemen die in motor accident along Kaduna-Zaria road
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- Toyin Abraham reveals her husband fainted when their son was delivered
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Ufuoma McDermott reacts to the claims that she flaunts her panties on her social media
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- EPL: Brendan Rodgers explains why he substituted Iheanacho in Leicester 4-1 loss to Bournemouth
- Actress Wumi says people should not hurt offline and forms maturity online
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- Body found in California lake where Naya Rivera went missing
- Young man stabbed to death by his friend during an argument over N12,000 in Delta State
- Mega art dealer Larry Gagosian received a PPP loan for up to $5M
- NASS, NERC to partner on legal framework to protect investment in power sector
- Lytaâs Alleged Girlfriend, Coco Brown Dazzles In New Pictures as She Turns A Year Older
- Will and Jada Pinkett Smith vacation in Bahamas after August Alsina reveal
- Johnny Depp ‘cried’ when he was told he kicked Amber Heard, court hears
- Why Tiffany Haddish really cut off all of her hair
- Fake DSS personnel bags 12 years imprisonment
- De Blasio flags rising coronavirus rate for ages 20-29 as ‘worrisome’
- Nigerian goalkeeper, Maduka Okoye joins Sparta Rotterdam
- 9-year-old honor roll student shot as he filmed TikTok videos
- Covid-19 Could Infect People On A Daily Basis Through Common Cold – New Research Says
- City council firebrand Ruben Diaz Sr. won’t seek reelection
- “Did Your Husband Beat You Again” Reactions as Mercy Aigbe Shares new pictures with stitches on her head (PICS)
- ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Spinoff ‘The Bad Batch’ Coming to Disney+
- HBP, diabetes commonest among COVID-19 patients who died in Lagos — MD, IDH
- Tacha Speaks On Confidence
- Reps Probe $1.046M Withdrawal By Nigerian Embassy In Israel
- Baltimore police sergeant allegedly kidnapped, extorted contractor in patio dispute
- Akpabio Should Step Aside For Investigation, Buhari, APC Rotten – PDP
- Female Singer Waje Blasts Nigerian Men Who Won’t Allow Their Widowed Mothers Remarry
- COVID-19 immunity could disappear after a few months, study says
- Banditry will soon be thing of the past, Chief of Defence Staff assures
- Russian constitution change ends hopes for same-sex marriage
- Democrats to take up immigration as first issue if successful in 2020
- 5 Notable People Hushpuppi Chilled Out With Before He Was Arrested (No.4 Will Shock You)
- Tottenham Hotspur reacts to death of Serge Aurier’s brother, Christopher
- Thailand tightens borders over fears of second wave of coronavirus
- Bruce Smith’s ‘penis’ response stuns Steve Harvey on ‘Family Feud’