For fans frustrated with Charity Greenleaf’s betrayal of her family, all hope is not lost. Deborah Joy Winans hints that her character isn’t beyond redemption.
It’s the fifth and final season of Greenleaf and two episodes in and it seems that Charity just can’t catch a break with her family.
Fans watching the June 30 episode will have seen [SPOILER ALERT] the bishop’s daughter try to offer her sister Grace (played by Merle Dandridge) an olive branch in the form of a letter.
Deborah Joy Winans, who plays Charity, teases that it won’t be the last time that her character tries to make amends with her family after betraying them in her Season 4 bid to become Associate Pastor. “I do think that Charity sees the hurt and the pain that she has caused,” the 36-year-old Greenleaf star tells HollywoodLife EXCLUSIVELY. She adds, “I would just say that this letter that she gives her sister and that goes backwards [is] not her last attempt to figure out how to make things right.”
Even Deborah Joy will admit to finding Charity incredibly frustrating at times. “Sometimes I look at [her and] I’m like, ‘Girl, are you really going to go this far and sell out your family for a [job] as an Associate Pastor?’” she says.
Fans watched in horror last season as the mom-of-one threw her family under the bus in a bid to clinch the position of Associate Pastor at the Memphis mega church. That included telling her lover Phil (Sean Blakemore) that Grace had lied to the police about her long-lost son AJ’s involvement in a robbery.
It all backfired in the season finale when Phil revealed that he was taking back his marriage proposal in his own craven attempt to get a senior position at the church. He dumped her to marry his ex, Judee Whitmore (Valerie Jane Parker), the daughter of Greenleaf family rival and enemy, Bob Whitmore (Beau Bridges).
“There are many things that she needs to figure out and get right,” Deborah Joy says. “But she’s also not going to be a pushover. What I do love about her is she made this choice. She went against the family. It wasn’t the best thing to do. It was a bad choice, but she’s also recognizing, OK, that wasn’t good but I’m still not going to let you control who I am or what I do. I am a woman now that knows what I want and I know what I’m going after.
“She will not be held hostage to her past mistakes. I love that about Charity. She’s a fighter. She’s very determined and she will not let Phil, her parents, her siblings, her duty, she won’t let anybody hold her hostage to her past to push her off her game.” Deborah Joy adds, “She’s going to try to make things right, but she’s going to stand for what it is she wants and it gets really, really, really good.” The actress teases, “You’re going to see parts of Charity that make you say, ‘Ooh.’”
Like her character, Deborah Joy has a famous last name and is part of a family dynasty. Her aunt, CeCe, and uncle, BeBe Winans, are Grammy-winning gospel singers. Singing was never part of their niece’s plan (even though Charity brings down the house on-screen with her phenomenal voice). But now Deborah Joy is promoting her debut single, “I Won’t Stop Breathing.” Written by her brother Juan Winans and his wife Lisa Kimmey a decade ago, it has special significance now following the May 25 death of George Floyd. The video for the song features her co-stars, including Merle and Keith David (who plays Bishop James Greenleaf) holding up signs with the song’s title.
“I do believe that there is power in what you say,” Deborah Joy says about the single, which has arguably become a protest song. “We have to tell people that we will not stop breathing. It doesn’t matter what they think about us. It doesn’t matter if they think we’re worthless. We know we’re worth it. We won’t stop breathing.” Greenleaf airs on OWN on Tuesdays at 9pm ET/PT.
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- “Did Your Husband Beat You Again” Reactions as Mercy Aigbe Shares new pictures with stitches on her head (PICS)
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Bobrisky’s Contender posts Picture Of Himself In Wedding Gown
- “Dating a yahoo boy is the most dangerous thing any girl should indulge in” – Lady narrates how her boyfriend almost used her for money ritual in Asaba
- Gov. Cuomo produces old-school poster glorifying coronavirus response
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- Native doctor spotted taking his ‘girlfriend’ shopping in Benin (Video)
- ‘The Old Guard 2’: Everything We Know About A Possible Netflix Sequel
- Gov. Cuomo outlines COVID-19 requirements for NYC schools to reopen in the fall
- All the details on Nicola Peltz’s engagement ring from Brooklyn Beckham
- Hot Music: Topzee – Asiko
- Umahi suspends state, local government Auditor-Generals for incompetence
- Nnia Nwodo Conspired with Igbo Political leaders to Proscribe IPOB – Ohanaeze Youths Says, seeks Forgiveness
- Naya Rivera’s body recovered on seven-year anniversary of Cory Monteith’s death
- Emir of Kano reappoints chief deposed by his late father
- Cam Newton-Bill Belichick Patriots combo is ‘terrifying:’ Greg Van Roten
- “Nigeria recorded 3,600 rape cases during lockdown” – Minister of Women Affairs
- ‘Downton Abbey’ star wishes she knew why show was so popular
- Jennifer Lopez, Alex Rodriguez Mets bid adds NFL star power
- “I Don’t Have Any Account On Social Media” – Gov. Umahi
- Lori Loughlin, Mossimo Giannulli sell mansion for $10M below asking price
- Magu: Pastor Omale breaks silence on alleged laundering of funds for suspended EFCC boss
- Sane reports for first Bayern training session
- Cardi B celebrates Kulture’s birthday with hundreds of thousands in diamonds
- Southwest Airlines likely to cut jobs unless bookings ‘triple’
- 602 repentant Boko Haram swears an oath of allegiance to Nigeria
- Tesla stock soars as S&P 500 inclusion appears imminent
- COVID-19: Taskforce accused of extortion as Bayelsa begins enforcement of face mask use
- DeSean Jackson accepts 94-year-old Holocaust survivor’s invite to visit Auschwitz
- Will ‘Yellowstone’ Season 3 Be on Peacock?
- ‘Broken Heart Syndrome’ has increased during coronavirus pandemic
- The best of Naya Rivera’s ‘Glee’ moments and 29-year career highlights
- Elon Musk on why he’s still backing Kanye West for president
- We’ll expose more looters in Nigeria – IPOB vows
- Edo guber: ‘Mass defection from APC, end of road signpost for Ize-Iyamu’ – PDP
- Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes takes a hit selling NYC townhouse
- Ohio army veteran who refused to wear face mask dies of COVID-19