The New York Attorney General’s office has announced a nearly $19 million settlement for women who were sexually abused and harassed by imprisoned former movie mogul, Harvey Weinstein, 68.
“Harvey Weinstein and The Weinstein Company failed their female employees. After all the harassment, threats, and discrimination, their victims are finally receiving some justice,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement on Tuesday, June 30.
The settlement stems from a 2018 civil rights lawsuit filed by the New York Attorney General’s office against Weinstein, Robert Weinstein, and the Weinstein companies at large for “egregious violations of New York’s civil rights, human rights, and business laws,” the attorney’s office said at the time.
Under the plan, a $18,875,000 victims’ compensation fund will be created and distributed among “women who experienced a hostile work environment, sexual harassment, and gender-based discrimination while working at The Weinstein Company, as well as sexual abuse by Harvey Weinstein,” the attorney general’s office said.
As part of the agreement, survivors will also be released from confidentiality, non-disclosure, or non-disparagement agreements with The Weinstein Company or any of the former representatives of the company related to any sexual misconduct by Weinstein. They will now be free to tell their stories without fear of retribution, prosecutors said.
But the agreement must still be approved by the district court and the bankruptcy court that is presiding over The Weinstein Company’s bankruptcy case.
“This agreement is a win for every woman who has experienced sexual harassment, discrimination, intimidation, or retaliation by her employer,” New York Attorney, General Letitia James said.
Reacting to the agreement, Douglas H. Wigdor and Kevin Mintzer, the attorneys for several of Harvey Weinstein’s alleged victims disagreed with the settlement and consider it deeply ‘unfair’ because Weinsten doesn’t not accept responsibility for his actions.
“The proposed settlement is a complete sellout of the Weinstein survivors and we are surprised that the Attorney General could somehow boast about a proposal that fails on so many different levels,” the attorneys told CNN in a statement.
“We are completely astounded that the Attorney General is taking a victory lap for this unfair and inequitable proposal, and on behalf of our clients, we will be vigorously objecting in court,” they added.
Weinstein is serving 23 years at Wende Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison in Alden, New York, after being convicted of committing a criminal sex act in the first degree and rape in the third degree.
The disgraced movie mogul is also facing several charges in Los Angeles, including forcible rape, sexual penetration by use of force, and sexual battery. Weinstein has denied all the allegations.
Source: Linda Ikeji’s Blog
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- 7 policemen die in motor accident along Kaduna-Zaria road
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- Toyin Abraham reveals her husband fainted when their son was delivered
- Actress Etinosa warns Nollywood scriptwriters to avoid her
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Ufuoma McDermott reacts to the claims that she flaunts her panties on her social media
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- EPL: Brendan Rodgers explains why he substituted Iheanacho in Leicester 4-1 loss to Bournemouth
- Actress Wumi says people should not hurt offline and forms maturity online
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- City council firebrand Ruben Diaz Sr. won’t seek reelection
- “Did Your Husband Beat You Again” Reactions as Mercy Aigbe Shares new pictures with stitches on her head (PICS)
- ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Spinoff ‘The Bad Batch’ Coming to Disney+
- Reps Probe $1.046M Withdrawal By Nigerian Embassy In Israel
- Baltimore police sergeant allegedly kidnapped, extorted contractor in patio dispute
- Akpabio Should Step Aside For Investigation, Buhari, APC Rotten – PDP
- Female Singer Waje Blasts Nigerian Men Who Won’t Allow Their Widowed Mothers Remarry
- COVID-19 immunity could disappear after a few months, study says
- Russian constitution change ends hopes for same-sex marriage
- Democrats to take up immigration as first issue if successful in 2020
- 5 Notable People Hushpuppi Chilled Out With Before He Was Arrested (No.4 Will Shock You)
- Tottenham Hotspur reacts to death of Serge Aurier’s brother, Christopher
- Thailand tightens borders over fears of second wave of coronavirus
- Bruce Smith’s ‘penis’ response stuns Steve Harvey on ‘Family Feud’
- Checkout Throwback Photo Of Olu Jacobs, As Joke Silva Post It Online
- NEC’s new facial recognition system can spot workers with masks on
- ‘90 Day Fiancé’ cast updates: Colt, Larissa and more!
- Prophet Denies Buying N573 Million House On Magu’s Behalf
- Tesla slashes price of Model Y SUV as coronavirus hurts demand
- Download Movie: Aiye Wokilumo – Latest Yoruba Movie 2020 Dramatic Comedy
- Darren Star’s ‘Emily in Paris’ Picked Up by Netflix
- ”You don’t have to search for him, he’ll come looking for you” – Tacha shares relationship advice
- BEDC staff escapes death in Ughelli
- Brian Poole has done everything the Jets have asked of him
- Download Movie: Mariwo – Latest Yoruba Movie 2020 Drama
- Movie: Gbemisola – Latest Yoruba Movie 2020 Drama
- Planned Parenthood launches ad campaign backing Joe Biden
- Bobrisky’s Contender posts Picture Of Himself In Wedding Gown
- COVID-19: Niger to collect samples of cabinet, task force members for virus test
- Patriot League cancellation adds to college football’s coronavirus crisis