….As Buhari wants Nigeria’s quick exit from under-development
By Johnbosco Agbakwuru
THE Presidential Economic Advisory Council, PEAC, yesterday, advised the Federal Government to move away from multiple exchange rates to a unified currency exchange rate.
PEAC, in a statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, also told the the government to do all that was necessary to continue to ease the environment of doing business in the country.
This is even as the President appreciated the outstanding support and guidance provided by the PEAC, which he described as a ‘tutorial’, urging the members to do more to help the country exit “our very terrible state of development.”
Speaking during a virtual audience with members of the council, President Buhari said: “We are a country characterised by a large population of poor people, serious infrastructure deficit, lack of housing and a vulnerable economy, now haunted by the COVID-19 pandemic and collapse of the oil sector and its effect on the Gross Domestic Product, GDP.”
PEAC, while making a presentation to the President, commended the administration for implementing several of its recommendations, even as it presented the government with a number of tough choices to make in order to put the country’s economy on a higher growth path.
Chairman of the council, Prof. Doyin Salami, who led the presentation, specifically expressed delight with the on-going review of the Medium Term Expenditure Framework, MTEF, and the 2020 Budget, in view of the disruptions caused by COVID-19; the deregulation of the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, PMS; approval for the implementation of the Oronsaye Report on the need to rationalise and restructure federal ministries, departments and agencies, MDAs, as well as the adjustment of the exchange rate of the Naira.
He, however, noted that more needed to be done to increase efficiency, coordination and accountability on the part of MDAs.
The PEAC welcomed the Economic Sustainability Plan, ESP, produced by the Economic Sustainability Committee, ESC, headed by the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, and adopted by the Federal Executive Council, FEC, but warned that in the implementation of the N2.3 trillion spending plan, there could arise a number of problems, which, if unattended, could hamper smooth implementation.
The committee advised, among others, that the ESP should be implemented, using existing institutional and administrative structures; attention be paid to sources of funding to avoid inflation; ensure that priorities, targets and time limits be set for all projects, to make for their completion within the 12-month life-span of the ESP.
It noted that where this was not achieved, such projects should be rolled into the new Economic Recovery and Growth Plan, ERGP II.
The PEAC recommended that the ESP must promote ‘export-oriented production strategies’; ensure use of local resources; curtail post-harvest losses in agriculture now put at between 40-60 percent and, above all, make the economy attractive to “non-debt” private sector-funded investment, in order to cut the rising cost of debt services.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- See List of Properties Seized From Disgraced Nigerian Fraudster, Hushpuppi
- 10 Forbidden Places In The World You Are Not Allowed To Visit (Photos)
- Have You Heard About The “Temple of Pythons” in Benin: See Photos of How it Looks Like
- FBI Reveals The $15 Million Stolen By Woodberry From Two Chicago Based Company May Not Be Retrieved.. READ WHY
- Okunnu shares beautiful photos of her Daughter, Ayomide Who Just Completed High School in Canada
- See Why Patience Ozokwor Is Not Featuring In Movies Anymore
- Mide Martins reveals she didn’t marry Afeez Owo for his looks
- Adedimeji Lateef weds ‘girlfriend’ Adebimpe Oyebade…fans react (photos)
- Thanks For Taking Away My Virginity – 13-Year-Old Girl Tells Boyfriend As She Celebrates Him On His Birthday
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Actress in The World
- Makeup artist, Deborah Tushima allegedly slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party (PICS)
- Lady With Massive Behind Causes Stir On Facebook (Photos & Video) )
- Why Ajimobi’s Wife Denied Oyo Deputy gov Access to Husband’s 8th-day Fidau Prayer
- Adeniyi Johnson Shares Photos Showing How He And Wife, Seyi Edun, Behave When They Meet On Set (PICS)
- Ex-LASIMRA boss, Jide Odekunle, dies of COVID-19 complications in Lagos
- Kano Hisbah impound tricycle loaded with 100 cartons of alcohol
- Dubai Decide To Build An Underwater Floating Train. See photos
- Meet The Man That Exposed Hushpuppi And Woodberry to The FBI
- See Photo of Jaden Smith and his father will Smith that has got people talking (see screenshots)
- I Would Like To Marry Lyta’- IG Model, Coco Brown Tells Regina Daniels’ Ex, Somadina
- ‘Ned Dey Enjoy O’ – Social Media User Says After Seeing Ned’s Moroccan Wife’s Photo
- Actor Adedimeji Lateef marries his girlfriend Adebimpe Oyebade
- What Daniel Radcliffe ‘Got Away With’ While Filming ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend’
- Nigerian Musician, Skiibii Shows Off His New Mansion On His 28th Birthday (Photos)
- Kandi Burruss’ Husband Todd Begs Daughter Blaze To Say ‘Dada’ — Watch – Warritatafo
- #Coronavirus: 13 UK universities ‘could go bust without bailout’
- LASTMA officer commits suicide after stabbing his lover in Lagos
- Rip Van Winkle: reopening in one Long Island town
- Illegal weekend fireworks lit up Southern California, sparking several hundred blazes
- When Led Zeppelin Dove Into Samba on a Wild ‘In Through the Out Door’ Track
- ‘Survivor’ Season 45 Could Be Epic if the Producers Use This 1 Fan Theme and Cast
- Daughter of slain Finest Miosotis Familia remembers hero mom, asks for cop respect
- Princess Diana Had the ‘Best Vacation’ at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Colorado Home
- Photographer sets up blind date photo-shoot between man and woman who were meeting for the first time (Photo)
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 5’: Do Fans Believe Alexis Mateo or India Ferrah After the Snatch Game Episode?
- With vandalism and personal threats, protests have gone beyond ‘peaceful’
- How Did Demi Lovato and Her Boyfriend Max Ehrich Meet?
- Remember When Kylie Jenner and Jaden Smith Dated?
- Conte expects Inter players to be angry after Bologna defeat
- NFL training camp rules set high bar for players to return from coronavirus
- Judi Dench Reveals How Making Tik Tok Videos ‘Saved’ Her Life
- ‘Lost’ star Josh Holloway on why he joined cable hit ‘Yellowstone’
- Controversial Mom Farrah Abraham Revealed She Had the Sex Talk With Her 11-Year-Old Daughter
- Silva says Man City has no excuse for poor away form
- NYC tattoo shop says coronavirus is becoming sought-after ink design
- The British Royal Family Is ‘Very Distressed’ That Meghan Markle Felt Unprotected During Her Pregnancy, Expert Claims
- COVID-19: Madagascar places capital on lockdown as cases rise
- Mark Cuban Supports Kanye West For President Over Trump: Tweets – Warritatafo
- ‘Outer Banks’ Fans Appreciate the Show’s Ability to Tackle Tough Issues
- Does Uncle Ben from ‘Spider-Man’ Exist in the MCU? Fans Think It’s Unlikely
- Bianca Williams: Athlete accuses police of racial profiling after vehicle search
- ‘Friends’: Network Execs Insisted on Adding 7th Cast Member ‘Pat the Cop’ Until Writers Convinced Them to Kill the Role
- ’90 Day Fiancé’: A Leaked Casting Call Reveals That There May Be a New Spinoff in the Works
- ‘Supergirl’: Will Mon-El Return Now That Chris Wood’s Latest Project is Dead?
- Bryson DeChambeau flexes his new muscles to win at Rocket Mortgage