By Omobola, Tolu-Kusimo
ABOUT 8,469,257 million contributors, including workers and retirees, have earned N334.46 billion from fixed income securities, The Nation has learnt
This is contained in the National Pension Commission (PENCOM) 2018 Annual Report.
The report includes the activities of the commission, pension operators and the industry in the year under review.
A breakdown of the report showes that the total interest and coupon received on investments on fixed income securities was N334.46 billion in the first half of 2018, higher than the N291.25 billion recorded in the first half of the previous year.
PENCOM attributed the increase to a rise in the value of investments.
During the period under review, a total of N6.31 trillion, out of the N8.63 trillion total pension fund assets, was invested in fixed income securities.
The report indicated that investments were predominantly in the Federal Government Securities, FGN Bonds, Treasury Bills and Agency Bonds.
This accounted for about 73 percent of total pension fund assets, an increase of three percent from the 70 percent allocation as at December 31, 2017.
According to PENCOM, this was due to several factors, such as subdued investor sentiment that characterised the financial markets leading up to the general elections in 2019.
These, the commission stated, prompted pension operators to adopt a ‘flight to safety’ strategy by investing in FGN Securities pending the outcome of elections and a clearer view of the direction of macro and micro economic policy.
Further analysis of the report showed that while the total value of pension fund assets, based on unaudited valuation reports stood at N8.64 trillion as at December 31, 2018. This represented a net growth of N1.12 trillion (15 percent) from N7.51 trillion on December 31, 2017.
The commission explained that the growth resulted primarily from monthly inflows of pension contributions, which averaged N50 billion monthly, into the Retirement Savings Account (RSA) funds and investment incomes.
Consequently, a dividend totalling N35.32 billion was received in the first half of 2018, an amount higher than receipts of N14.35 billion in the first half of 2017.
Checks, however, showed that the monthly pension contributions received in the first half of 2018 was N300.24 billion, a reduction of N34 billion compared to the total contributions received in the first half of 2017.
PENCOM explained that the slightly lower figure was mainly due to lower remittances on FGN treasury funded workers, noting that average monthly contributions amounted to N50 billion.
Source: The Nation Online Nigeria
What will make you commit suicide?
- We are not from the Zoo, we are Biafrans – Idoma People Declares (video)
- Watch The Adorable daughters Of Actress Nadia Buari Help Take Out Her Braids (Video)
- Lady dies in fatal accident in Suleja, her identify unknown
- Toyin Abraham and Husband, Kolawole Ajeyemi get Romantic while Dancing (Video)
- APC: How we rigged Ondo Election to make Akeredolu Governor in 2016 – Abegunde
- COVID-19: Another lockdown possible, if… ― FG tells Nigerians
- I was paid N5,000 to murder medical doctor in Zamfara – Suspect
- Akuapem Poloo Speaks After Her Arrest By The Police
- Popular Actor Uche Maduagwu Shades Tacha
- Regina Daniels & Other Nollywood Actresses Who Had A Male As Their First Child
- See Tonto Dikeh’s Reactions After She Saw A Photoshopped Photo Of Herself & Bobrisky
- Hushpuppi: Protesters storm US Embassy, demand arrest of Atiku, Dino Melaye [PHOTOS]
- Teddi Mellencamp Reveals Daughter Dove Needs To Have Neurosurgery – Warritatafo
- Herbalist Used Pastor For Ritual In Osun State (Video)
- Transfer rumours: Rice, Koulibaly, Skriniar, Milinkovic-Savic, Ake, Edouard
- New Update on makeup artist, Deborah Tushima, who was poisoned at her birthday party over iphone 11, slupmed and died while dancing – Family explains what led to her death
- Davido’s cousin, Adenike, gets Benz gift from dad as she graduates
- Lizzo Kicked Out Of Vacation Rental & Accuses Landlord Of Police Threats – Warritatafo
- Brittany Matthews reacts to Patrick Mahomes’ monster Chiefs contract
- Bandits surrender as Nigerian Army destroys terrorists’ hideouts, captures logistics’ supplier [PHOTOS]
- Disinfection Of Schools To Begin Tuesday, FG Reveals
- Jon Gosselin Explains Why Collin Is Missing From 4th Of July Photo – Warritatafo
- Man shot dead in Bronx while walking with 6-year-old daughter
- New Song: Sound Sultan – Fayaa Fayaa Ft. Duktor Sett
- New Song: Golden Boi – Pick Up ft MYkeelis
- I’m Officially Rooting For a Bugsy And Alex Romance on ‘Below Deck Med’
- Floyd Mayweather Reveals Toughest Opponent and It’s Not Who You Think
- What’s With All The Fruit References in Harry Styles’ Music?
- Dorado Beach launches ‘private luxury camp’ at $1,124 per night
- Why John Bonham Wasn’t Sure About Joining Led Zeppelin at First
- Central Park ‘Karen’ busted – but she’s suffered enough
- Decontamination of schools start Tuesday -FG
- Lizzo claims she was kicked out of vacation rental early, twerks about it
- ‘Unsolved Mysteries’: FBI Offers Reward in Alonzo Brooks Case, Fans Uncover Old Blog With Subtle Clues
- Vouchers of up to £5,000 for home insulation
- VH1 ‘tossed around’ idea of Flavor Flav as ‘The Black-chelor’
- Masahiro Tanaka incident was slow torment for Giancarlo Stanton
- Philly bar owner pulls gun on black man after social distance dispute
- MCU: Why Scarlett Johansson Didn’t Want Black Widow to Receive This Sendoff in ‘Avengers: Endgame’
- Jason Kidd’s bond with Giannis Antetokounmpo adds to complicated Knicks coaching candidacy
- Jason Kidd bond with Giannis Antetokounmpo adds to complicated Knicks coaching candidacy
- Kardashian Fans Are Worried About True Promoting Diapers on the Internet
- Georgia Gov. Kemp authorizes National Guard after 8-year-old killed
- Lin-Manuel Miranda says movie adaptation of ‘Hamilton’ unlikely
- Jets rookie Denzel Mims is no fan of ‘dirty-a–, trash-a–‘ Philadelphia
- Netflix ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ Reboot Has 3 Major Issues According to Fans
- What Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus’ Boyfriends Max Ehrich and Cody Simpson Have in Common
- Alan Dershowitz busy on Twitter after Page Six’s nude beach exclusive
- US violated UN Charter with drone strike on Soleimani – UN rapporteur on extrajudicial executions — Warritatafo
- Anthony Fauci says current US coronavirus climate is ‘serious situation’
- ’90 Day Fiancé ‘: Fans are Rooting for Kenneth and Armando to Save the Season
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Have 1 Strict Rule for Their Marriage, Source Says
- Needless spat over 774,000 job scheme
- Only known jointly signed pic of Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump costs $32,500
- Meghan Markle Spent 7 Times What Kate Middleton Spends on Clothes, Royal Authors Say