A number of women who were sexually abused and harassed by convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein while working for his production company are set to receive part of a $19 million payout.
The payout is part of a deal brokered by the New York state attorney general’s office in its class action lawsuit against The Weinstein Company.
Former employees of the production company who “experienced a hostile work environment, sexual harassment and gender-based discrimination” are eligible for part of the compensation fund, according to a press release from New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office.
The agreement still needs to be approved by the district court presiding over the case.
In addition to the payout, the AG’s office said the agreement will wipe out any confidentiality or non-disclosure agreements Weinstein’s victims signed with the company of any of its former reps.
The AG’s office filed the suit against Weinstein, his brother Bob Weinstein and the film production company in February 2018.
The suit accused Weinstein and his ex-business-partner brother of violating numerous state codes against sexual harassment, intimidation and other workplace safety protections.
The AG’s office has said there was a clear paper trail of on-the-record complaints to the company’s human resources department that were simply ignored.
For years, assistants working for Weinstein “were exposed to and required to facilitate” sexual encounters for him “as a condition of employment,” the office has said.
“Harvey Weinstein and The Weinstein Company failed their female employees,” James said in a statement. “After all the harassment, threats, and discrimination, these survivors are finally receiving some justice.”
But an attorney representing six women who worked for Weinstein blasted the proposed settlement as “a complete sellout.”
“We are surprised that the Attorney General could somehow boast about a proposal that fails on so many different levels,” said Douglas Wigdor of Wigdor LLP.
The lawyer listed five grievances, including how within the proposed settlement Weinstein “accepts no responsibility for his actions” and isn’t paying a dime of his own money toward the settlement.
The disgraced movie-mogul in March was sentenced to 23 years in prison after a Manhattan jury found him guilty of forcibly performing oral sex on former “Project Runway” staffer Miriam “Mimi” Haleyi in 2006 and raping hairstylist Jessica Mann in 2013.
More than 100 women have accused the fallen Tinseltown tycoon of harassment and sexual misconduct.
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- Nigerian boy who scattered his parents house explains what actually happened
- Wonder Shall Never End – Reactions as Photo Of A Lady who Bleached All Her Face But Left The Legs goes viral (PICS)
- Wild video shows woman steal pedestrian’s sneakers, strip naked in NYC
- Bukunmi Oluwasina Looks completely different in Kunle Afolayan’s Citation Movie (VIDEO)
- “There is nowhere we want to go” – Faithia Williams speaks on how she and Ex-Hsuband, Saidi Balogun meets and why she stops kissing or playing romantic movie roles (VIDEO)
- Funke Akindele gifts Pa James a new house after his house was wrecked by flood
- New Song: Tiwa Savage – Dangerous Love
- “Dr Anu showed me pepper” – Botched surgery survival, Omohtee shares her story
- “My Blessing” – Segun Ogungbe’s 2nd Wife, Wunmi Ajiboye says as she Shares Photos of her first son carrying Their Newborn Baby (PICS)
- Man builds a portable mansion after being homeless for 4 years, shares inspiring story (Photos)
- Hot Music: Saido Pee – Hello God (Prod. By Smart)
- Residents Panic over white substance seen at Anthony village in Lagos (Video)
- Erigga – “AYEME” ft. Yungzee [Video + Audio]
- ‘Jersey Shore’ Star Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi’s Daughter Can Make This 1 Iconic Face Perfectly
- “Jesus did not destroy a single shrine” – Daddy Freeze frowns at demolition of church of Satan in Abia
- Daddy Freeze frowns at the demolition of a shrine & the arrest of its founder in Abia State
- Man who was homeless for 4 years finally becomes a House-owner, shares inspiring story
- Hushpuppi has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 in prison – Kemi Olunloyo
- Judge transfers suit seeking to nullify APC NEC meeting
- UPDATE: There was no snow in Anthony Village Lagos, govt reveals what happened
- Jodie Comer’s Alleged Boyfriend Has Fans Livid Because He Seems To Be a Trump Supporter
- Girl pretends to sleep after she’s caught stealing snacks
- BREAKING: Nigerian govt postpones school resumption, 2020 WASSCE indefinitely
- Daddy Freeze Condemns Demolition Of Church Of Satan in Abia State
- Ivory Coast Prime Minister Coulibaly dies aged 61
- Rob Shares Sweet Daughter Photo – Warritatafo
- Prime Suspect actor John Benfield dies aged 68
- Patrick Mahomes’ NFL Mega-Contract Could Actually Cost Him Money in the Long Run
- She is always on her phone and it makes me jealous- Husband of lady who shared ‘suicidal posts’ on Facebook says
- LASG empowers 300 victims of Abule-Egba pipeline explosion
- Will Smith opens up about racist treatment he’s received
- US coronavirus cases soar past 3 million mark
- US tourist accused of fatally stabbing Rome cop says he was beaten in custody
- Rob Kardashian Looking For Romance After Dramatic Weight Loss – Warritatafo
- “My family is dead to me” Boy filmed destroying his parents’ home because his mom refused to meet his demands speaks up (video)
- NYCFC back in action in second game of ‘MLS is Back’ tourney
- Alex Pullin dead – Australian Olympian dies in spearfishing accident
- Witness in Trump’s impeachment retires from military amid pressure
- Netflix Has Cancelled Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Series
- #Coronavirus: Public spending on crisis soars to £190bn
- Osinbajo never received N4billion from Magu ― Akande
- Schools not re-opening anytime soon — FG
- ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’: More on How the Show Will Coordinate Its Intimate Scenes During the Pandemic
- Total Madness’ To Save Cory – Warritatafo
- Why Fall Out Boy Removed a Line About Britney Spears From a Song
- President Buhari replaces Akpabio , one other non-career Ambassador designate
- Nigeria records 406 fresh cases of COVID-19. Death toll now 684
- Gov. Diri commends FG over fire fighting assets deployment
- NYC to start painting Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower
- ‘Parks and Recreation’: Is Amy Poehler’s Leslie Knope a Trust Fund Baby? Fans Are Convinced
- How Kim Kardashian West Is Related to George W. Bush by Blood
- Florida men busted for selling bleach as ‘miracle’ coronavirus cure
- NYC parents outraged over decision for ‘blended’ learning in schools
- Denise Richards & Aaron Fight With Erika & Teddi — Recap – Warritatafo
- Champion Breweries returns to profitability as costs reduce