Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has said that drastic action was needed to tackle rape, including vigorous law enforcement to prosecute rapists in the country.
El-Rufai made this known at a virtual meeting organised by the Movement Against Rape and Sexual Violence (MARS-V).
The governor said that the state had provided a law that provided life imprisonment for anyone convicted of the rape of a minor and 21 years for rape of an adult.
El-Rufai said it was important for parents to teach their male children, the importance of respecting women from childhood.
The governor noted that the fear of stigmatisation, breakdown of the judicial system and lack of detailed investigation were some of the factors hindering the prosecution of cases of rape and gender based violence.
He called for the training of victims and law enforcement officers on the preservation of evidence for successful prosecution of rape cases.
According to him, there was also a seeming conspiracy of silence by traditional and religious leaders, “where society as a whole insists on covering up cases of rape.”
“One of the primary challenges faced in the fight against gender based violence is the breakdown in the judicial process, which results in delay in justice being served and it could also be as a result of corruption, personal beliefs and laxity of some judges,” he added.
“Most of those charged with the investigation of Gender-Based-Violence (GBV) are not well trained, and can be easily compromised through corruption,’’ but incompetence was however, the primary problem.’’
The governor advised that “victims should also be sensitised on the importance of keeping evidence, to ensure that perpetrators of such heinous acts are brought to justice.’’
According to him, though rape is a criminal offence that needs to be proven beyond reasonable doubt, there is often “no preservation of evidence after rape, either by the victims or by officials put in charge of investigating such cases.’’
El-Rufai said that Kaduna State has put measures in place to fight against rape and GBV, having domesticated the Child Rights Act in February 2018.
“Under the state’s Child Welfare and Protection Law, girls are not allowed to get married until they complete their secondary school education, which in essence means marriages can’t happen until the age of 18,” he disclosed.
El-Rufai said that the state had also passed the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, which will help to speed up the trial of criminal matters, adding that it also established four sexual assault referral centres for medical and psychological counselling.
The wife of the governor, Hajiya Ummi El-Rufai, who was one of the panellists, called for ‘”harsher and more extreme laws against rape.”
Ummi argued that the present laws are not even being implemented and that there was a need for more stringent ones to serve as deterrent to would-be rapists.
While noting that rapists are becoming more violent and brazen by the day, she asked “why don’t we have laws that are addressing these gender based violence issues?”
The wife of the governor emphasised the need for parents to always speak up when their children are raped and not cover up the problem.
She called for a joint effort between government agencies and Non Governmental Organisations to speak out with one strong voice in condemning rape and other GBV.
In her remarks, Minister of Women Affairs, Pauline Tallen, explained that the rape epidemic has existed for a long time in Nigeria, adding that women and girls have always been disproportionally affected by GBV.
The minister who said that for every one rape case that is reported, about 10 other cases go unreported, underscored the need to eliminate vices that violated the fundamental rights of women and girls.
Tallen also stressed the importance of credible and verifiable database to aid the more efficient ways of carrying out decisions on GBV.
She also called for collaboration between governmental agencies such as NAPTIP and NGOs in tacking rape cases and other GBV.
The minister who campaigned for girl-child education, also advocated for the provision of one million sanitary pads for them, including more shelters for gender based violence victims.
Source: Eco City Reporters
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- Dj Cuppy bags an endorsement deal with Platoon Music
- Hushpuppi: Woodbery defrauded US firm of $15.3m stashed away in Bitcoin wallet — FBI
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC acting chairman (Details)
- Cops search for perv who attempted to rape woman in Queens
- Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC acting chairman
- Slimmer Rob Kardashian attends July Fourth party after declaring he’s ‘back’
- COVID-19: Ogun teachers give conditions for school reopening
- We will not succumb to blackmail and manipulation – Ekiti APC Stakeholder Forum
- Mad O! Kanayo O. Kanayo Shows Appreciation After Successfully Passing His Law School Exams, Set To Become A Barrister
- Fernando Alonso to return to Formula 1 with Renault in 2021
- Halle Berry won’t play transgender man in movie after backlash
- Kourtney Kardashian Calls ‘KUWTK’ a ‘Toxic Environment,’ Shares What Her Life Is Like After Quitting the Show
- ONDO: Impeachment plans against the deputy gov thickens as proceedings to remove him starts
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Star Explains Why MCU Representation Is So Important: ‘Our Differences Make Us Special’
- EPL: Gleen Hoddle hints on Greenwood pushing Rashford out of Man Utd team
- Just in: Ngige meets NASS leadership, apologises for action of Keyamo
- Meghan Markle Fans Attack Queen Elizabeth and Royal Family for Failing to Protect Duchess
- Sheryl Sandberg denies Facebook is feeling pressure from ad boycott
- Reopen all Churches now: enough is enough — CAN
- Kidnappings: Absence of Judge stalls Wadume’s trial
- What is Blackout Day? Everything to know about the economic boycott
- Man City set to win Champions League battle against Real Madrid
- Fire ants are heading north as climate warms, researchers say
- BREAKING: President Buhari Suspends EFCC Acting Chairman, Magu
- Who Is Sebastian Athie? More About Disney Star Who Passed Away At 24 – Warritatafo
- ’90 Day Fiancé’: Fans React to Colt Johnson Coming Clean to His Mom About His Girlfriend
- “I Pity You, It Will HEND In THEARS” – Teni Mocks DJ Cuppy
- Man stabs wife to death in Jigawa
- [Breaking] Aftermath shouting match: Ngige in marathon meeting with Lawan, Others
- Michaela Coel Just Revealed Why She Refused to Sign a Deal With Netflix for ‘I May Destroy You’
- Deutsche Bank hit with $150 million penalty over Jeffrey Epstein ties
- Lightning strikes seven cows to death in Osun