PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari appears dead serious about his intention to stop the allocation of precious foreign exchange to food importation by promoting local production. But there are contradictions that must be sorted out.
Buhari’s newest initiative which could help stave off hunger crisis as a result of the coronavirus pandemic (which necessitated massive lockdowns) and the crash in the price of crude oil is the resuscitation of the National Agricultural Land Development Authority, NALDA.
The authority was created by former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida in 1992, had gone defunct due to our usual policy inconsistency.
Director-General of the revived NALDA, Paul Ikonne, recently unfolded government’s plan to empower the 77,400-member Buhari Young Farmers Network in the 774 local governments within the next six months under a business model and in collaboration with the state governments.
There is nothing new in this programme. Virtually every regime has created its own agricultural policy which were often abandoned even while the regime was still on seat. The agricultural sector was recharged during the Goodluck Jonathan era. It was the success of that programme that recommended the Minister of Agriculture in that regime, Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina, for election as President of the African Development Bank, AfDB.
Government not only abandoned the programme but failed to initiate its own. It was the Central Bank of Nigeria under the leadership of Godwin Emefiele that reignited the agricultural sector through the Anchor Borrowers scheme in 2015 before the President gradually keyed in. Agriculture has now become an area of notable achievement by the Buhari regime.
The biggest headache besetting our agricultural sector presently is the unchecked menace of armed herdsmen in most parts of the country. These land-grabbing herdsmen have trespassed into people’s lands, set up camps in the forests and are killing, raping, kidnapping people and destroying farmlands.
The only way of showing genuine commitment to the success of NALDA and other initiatives in the agricultural sector is to flush out these bloodthirsty elements and make farming safe again in Nigeria. Who will like to farm his or her land knowing that the herders would bring in their livestock overnight to destroy crops? Who will want to go to the farm knowing that they can be killed, maimed, kidnapped or raped?
The Federal Government must evolve a ranching policy that does not involve confiscating people’s land for the benefit of an ethnic group which will promote endless violence and no farming. We will waste money and yet go hungry.
The collaboration with the governors is a welcome development. It is only the governors, not the Federal Government, that can manage the land allocation to farmers in a manner that will be acceptable to the people.
Without farmers’ security there will be no food security.
Source: Vanguard News
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Danjuma Breaks Silence On Frozen Account After Magu Arrest
- Embattled EFCC boss, Magu, threatens hunger strike
- Ned Nwoko is NOT The Father Of Regina Daniels Baby – Her Ex-Boyfriend Exposes The UNTOLD TRUTH
- “It Is Not My Fault Multichoice Wanted Me To Be on So Many Episodes, I’m Blessed” – KimOprah Reacts To Critics
- Mercy Johnson and Other Top Nigerian Celebrities Killed Simi Duduke Challenge
- Mike Tyson Reveals His True Identity
- What will you tell Yahoo boys,Reno ask Magu
- Popular Nigerian Celebrity Stumbles Over His Words On Simi’s Latest Slaying Photo
- See Ini Edo’s Reaction To Sick Ufuoma and Other Celebrities Who Cried Out For Medical Attention
- EFCC: Magu clears air on N4bn allegedly given to Osinbajo
- See Ini Edo’s beautiful sister who is beautiful as she is
- We’re afraid to confront Lucifer, Church of Satan founder —Abia community residents
- Funke Akindele did not buy me a house – Pa James Ajirebi cries out in new Video, spills the truth of what Funke Akindele did (VIDEO)
- Instagram influencer, Poshnicki in tears as trailer crushes her less than 2-month-old SUV
- Nigerian govt lists benefits of 5G network, says no going back
- “I’m Well Now”- Kunle Afolayan Says After Ini Edo Finally Replied His Message
- Naira Marley Signs Emo Grae To Marlian Music
- Osinbajo Must Resign If He Wants To Sue Me – Jackson Ude
- Actress, Linda Ejiofor welcomes baby with her husband Ibrahim Suleiman
- Download Korede Bello – Morire Mp3
- Italy bans entry from 13 countries over COVID-19 fears
- Hot Music: The Sarz Academy Ft. Wizkid & Sarz – Hold Me
- Top 10 Most Followed African Celebrities on Instagram
- Rapper, Pop Smoke’s social media led killers to LA home after he posted his address online by mistake
- Everything you need to know about today’s Champions League & Europa League draw
- National Industrial Court reinstates two suspended university lecturers in Kogi
- Ondo APC Chairman, Ajayi, Steps Down, Joins PDP
- ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Gave X-Fans What We Waited For: Big, Purple Robots
- Brooks Brothers has two potential buyers amid bankruptcy filing
- I am sure Magu has secrets that could blow up Nigeria, some powerful forces want him dead – Bamgbose
- Police nab suspected killer of Zamfara doctor
- Unidentified lady allegedly used for ritual purposes seen displaying signs of madness (video)
- Rema Blasts Critics Over New Song “Woman”
- Spotify is crashing with other iPhone apps, Facebook glitch suspected
- “Never tell your secrets to a woman in love” Actress Lisa Omorodion berates ladies who tell their friends’ secrets to their significant other
- Brandis Kemp, ‘Fridays’ and ‘AfterMASH’ Actress, Dies at 76
- Family and friends of Naya Rivera ‘in disbelief’ over her disappearance
- Mega-contract says Patrick Mahomes can’t do ‘pretty much every physical activity’
- COVID-19: WHO gives update on 19 potential vaccines
- Trump doubles down on threat to cut funding for schools that don’t reopen
- DJ Jimmy Jatt Is Coming Back With Digital Lagos Party
- I Got Approval from President Buhari to suspend Ibrahim Magu- AGF Malami
- Giants mailbag: Don’t expect more from consistent Leonard Williams
- ‘Palm Springs’ Ending Explained: Writer Andy Siara Knows “Exactly What Happened”
- Police Investigate Alleged Murder Of 4-Year-Old Boy By Own Father
- FBI kidnapped Hushpuppi from Dubai to US – Lawyer alleges
- These classes can help you kickstart a new e-commerce side-hustle
- Sarah Paulson Throws Fuel on the Bravo Fire: Lisa Vanderpump’s Fans Spewed “Vitriol” After Recent Diss
- This UV sanitizing tower is a game-changer for cleaning your home
- Nollywood Actress Jaiye Kuti Is A Year Older Today
- Buhari Appoints Umar as Acting EFCC Chairman
- “How a Facebook Comment Crashed A Marriage” – Man Reveals(Photos)
- Breaking: Ikorodu indigene launches first Bitcoin ATM in Africa (Video)
- Singer Naira Marley acquires another mansion in Lagos (photos)
- Court sees disturbing photos of Amber Heard’s bruised face after alleged phone throwing