Thor and Superman have quite a bit in common. Besides both being superheroes, albeit for the opposing sides of Marvel Cinematic Universe and DC Universe, they also have god-like powers. Thor is literally a god, and Superman, while not a deity, sometimes gets framed as one in his movies.
As it happens, Thor and Superman share a power, with the difference being that Superman uses it fairly often, while we never see Thor doing it. It’s the power to pack a heck of an exhale. But the similarities are few. One hero is still going strong in the movies, while Superman, despite being arguably the OG hero of them all, has struggled on the big screen lately.
Thor has super-breath
One could argue that Thor and Superman have almost identical powers in that both have super strength and endurance. Thor doesn’t exactly fly on his own, but he can go airborne with some help from his hammer. Thor doesn’t have heat vision per se, but that lightning he directs can certainly burn someone.
As Screen Rant points out, they share the super-breath power, although Thor hasn’t displayed it as often because even Marvel kind of forgot about it. Evidence of this comes from a 1962 Thor comic, Journey Into Mystery #86 (1962) by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Jack Kirby, Dick Ayers, and Artie Simek. It’s about a scientist named Zarko who is from the future and who isn’t into humanity being peaceful.
Thor travels through time to stop him. Zarko pulls out a “delta-electron gun” in an effort to send Thor to another dimension. Thor deflects the blast of the gun with his own “great breath,” which is super breath to the folks at DC, except it doesn’t have freezing properties. This was the only time Thor actually used this, and it may have been one of those “convenient” powers that stops a particular situation and then is never used again.
Thor has a fourth movie coming up
For all his potential as a character, Thor got off to a somewhat rocky start at the box office, says The Numbers. His first movie in 2011 made $181 million, which seems like pocket change to Marvel now, but back then that was considered a solid if not spectacular start. The second movie, Thor: The Dark World did marginally better, making $206 million, but even many fans consider that sequel to be one of Marvel’s weakest movies.
Enter director Taika Waititi and the “friend from work;’ the Hulk. Thor: Ragnarok re-energized the franchise, with the freewheeling third movie making $315 million here. That set up Thor for a strong arc in the Infinity War/Endgame two-fer, when he fails to kill Thanos. He blames himself for the Thanos snap and lets himself go, before rallying the courage to fight on another day. When we last saw him, he was traveling with his new pals, the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Thor will be back in Love and Thunder, which will see him reuniting with his paramour, Jane Foster, who will apparently become a new Thor. Thor couldn’t beat back the pandemic, which delayed his movie from November of 2021 to February of 2022.
When will we see Superman at the movies again?
Just as Superman was one of the first wildly popular superheroes, the 1978 Superman with Christopher Reeve was the first wildly popular feature-length superhero movie, and for many is still the standard against which all superhero movies are measured. However, time has not been entirely kind. The 1980s sequels gradually declined in quality, and we didn’t get another Superman movie for nearly 20 years.
That movie, Superman Returns did OK business but was considered a ponderous disappointment by some. Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel was another solid but not outstanding success that divided fans. Then, Snyder’s misbegotten Batman v. Superman tarnished both of DC’s characters in the eyes of many. Justice League was no Avengers by even the most generous appraisal. Reports came out that Henry Cavill, who had played Superman since Man of Steel, was done with the role.
Now, Cavill, in a Variety chat with Patrick Stewart of Star Trek and X-Men fame, says, “When you meet children, children don’t necessarily see me as Henry Cavill, but they might see Superman, and there’s a responsibility which comes with that. Because it’s such a wonderful character, it’s actually a responsibility I’m happy to have, and I hope that I get to play more of Superman in years to come.” We will at least get to see Cavill again in the fabled Snyder cut of Justice league, which is due out next year on HBO Max.
Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- Toyin Abraham reveals her husband fainted when their son was delivered
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- EPL: Brendan Rodgers explains why he substituted Iheanacho in Leicester 4-1 loss to Bournemouth
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- Victor Osuagwu’s daughter shares her father’s epic reply after she told him “I love you”
- Kanu has been vindicated by Magu’s suspension — IPOB
- EFCC: Ibrahim Magu opens up on ‘N550b missing interest’
- Why Texas coronavirus death toll may be higher than officially reported
- NYPD cop tasers Black Lives Matter protester during Bay Ridge clash
- Ivory Coast Vice President, Daniel Kablan Duncan, quits
- How auto water sprinkler system doused WTC fire ― Ibukun Adeogun
- Minimum Wage: Rights Commission begs staff to shelve strike
- Solskjaer says will keep faith with De Gea
- Justin Trudeau says he discussed Black Lives Matter movement with Trump
- Yankees teammates thought outcast was a ‘serial killer’
- Ivory Coast Vice President Daniel Kablan Duncan resigns, days after Prime Minister’s death
- Coronavirus resurgence prompts Hong Kong Disneyland shutdown — again
- Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms joins Gov. Cuomo’s coronavirus briefing
- Sudan hands out cash to ease economic crunch
- ‘Glee’ Star Naya Rivera’s Body Found in California Lake
- Will Smith appears to allude to Jada Pinkett Smith split in resurfaced video
- Giorgio Armani opens first Hamptons pop-up shop
- Champions League Ban: Man City’s £9m fine to be shared among Man Utd, Chelsea, others
- During my tenure, we tackle corruption, saved billions of dollars ― Okonjo-Iweala
- ‘Scooby-Doo’ Writer James Gunn Reveals Velma Was Originally “Explicitly Gay”
- Akpabio vs Nunieh: Fani-Kayode tells Presidency to investigate allegations
- LA teachers union wants more money by defunding the police, calls for medicare for all
- Megan Thee Stallion hangs with Jordyn Woods’ ex-BFF Kylie Jenner
- AU-ECOSOC lauds Ooni over move to hold NEEBS Expo 2020
- Naya Rivera confirmed dead after her body is found at Lake Piru
- Body found in Lake Piru where Naya Rivera went missing
- Body found in California lake where Naya Rivera went missing
- Young man stabbed to death by his friend during an argument over N12,000 in Delta State
- Mega art dealer Larry Gagosian received a PPP loan for up to $5M
- NASS, NERC to partner on legal framework to protect investment in power sector
- Lytaâs Alleged Girlfriend, Coco Brown Dazzles In New Pictures as She Turns A Year Older
- Will and Jada Pinkett Smith vacation in Bahamas after August Alsina reveal