By Godfrey Bivbere
AS drug trafficking by sea increases globally, the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, has stressed the need for the Federal Government to strengthen the Agency to effectively combat the illicit drug trade.
This is even as the Agency indicated that there has been a rise in the volume of drug trafficking in the West African sub-region.
The NDLEA made the call in Lagos during the commemoration of this year’s International Day Against Drug Abuse And Illicit Trafficking on Monday.
Director, Seaports Operation of NDLEA, Omolaja Faboyede, noted that drug trafficking through the sea has been a security problem for all countries of the West African region because it involves the movement of large quantity of drugs.
According to him: “It increases the level of insecurity and drug related crimes. Nigeria must have the political will to tackle the issue of drug trafficking, the supervising agency; National Drug Law Enforcement Agency must be strengthen and adequately funded to combat drug abuse and trafficking in Nigeria.
“Criminality in the Gulf of Guinea includes maritime piracy, armed robbery, trans-organised crime such as illegal fishing and associated crime such as drug smuggling, human trafficking, money laundering, illegal dumping of toxic waste and other sea based crimes.
“Since mid-2000 West Africa has emerged a transit point for trafficking of cocaine from South America to Europe. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime estimated that $1.25 billion worth of cocaine passed through the region in 2010 alone.
“Recent drug trafficking has witnessed a massive movement of Cannabis Sativa from Ghana to Nigerian waters at an alarming rate.”
He also noted that trafficking of narcotic drugs by sea has virtually become an industry comprising many individual enterprises of varying sizes, adding that it is an attraction to major international criminal organisations and terrorist.
He pointed out that there are 200 million illicit drug users worldwide adding that the number has continued to grow every day.
Faboyede also said that around 190,000 people die of use of illicit drugs every year, stressing further that drug trafficking is a threat to human live, national development and security.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- Do You Know That Hushpuppi Has Two Children ?. Meet Daisy, One Of Hushpuppi’s Beautiful Babymamas
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- 20-Year-Old Groundnut Seller And Rape Victim Gives Birth To Triplets (Photos)
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- YAWA! “I Don Make 6 Girls Cry This Year, My Target Na 20” Man Plans To Take Revenge On Other Ladies For what His Girlfriend Did To Him
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- Italian marines ‘entitled to immunity’ in 2012 shooting of Indian fishermen, Hague court rules — Warritatafo
- Ize-Iyamu calls for violence-free election, wishes Obaseki God’s abundant blessings
- Reps ask Army to release wife of Soldier who spoke out against Security chiefs
- COVID-19: Ekiti warns traders against displaying goods on road medians
- ‘The Great’ Renewed for Season 2 at Hulu
- Koeman moves into Barcelona as Setien faces sack
- ‘The Challenge 35’: Johnny ‘Bananas’ Devenanzio Allegedly Flirted With Jenny West Throughout the Season
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana Both Wanted to Call Off the Wedding — So Why Did They Get Married?
- Who Is Claudia Conway? 5 Things To Know About Kellyanne’s Daughter – Warritatafo
- City to find out Champions League ban fate July 13
- WWE star Kane, known for mask, votes against mask mandate as mayor
- Formula One mogul Bernie Ecclestone becomes a father again at 89
- De Blasio calls budget process ‘thoughtful’ after it was ripped by Dermot Shea
- Gospel singer, Sammie Okposo and wife celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary (Photo)
- These massive sharks have teeth on their eyeballs
- 2023: I’m not part of new National Consultative Front – Olisa Agbakoba
- NBA will spend over $150 million on restart in Orlando
- Rep. Nadler cruises to expected Democratic primary win
- Video: Timo Werner reveals why he rejected Liverpool, Man Utd for Chelsea
- House rent agreement, C of O, others to carry stamp duty ― FIRS
- Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial/GOtv Boxing Gym Set to Open
- Will Smith Once Revealed the Secret Behind His and Jada Pinkett-Smith’s Lasting Marriage
- Airport in Taiwan offering fake flights for travel-starved tourists
- Staten Island Ferry to resume regular rush-hour service next week
- APC chieftains take action on suit against Oshiomhole
- Putin thanks Russians for ‘support and trust’ after vote
- President Buhari connected to Hushpuppi
- MCU Star Chris Evans Comments on Post-Marvel Life: ‘I Already Miss It’
- Missy Elliott Owns One of the Most Disliked Exotic Cars Worth Over $200k
- Police issues warning to non-travelers as flights resumes in Abuja, Lagos, others