By Prince Osuagwu, Hi-Tech Editor
The Nigerian telecom sector may soon herald fresh transformation as new guiding principles have started to unfold gradually.
Barely a month after the current Executive Vice Chairman, EVC of the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, Prof Umar Danbatta was reappointed, the man is beginning to give an indication that a new sheriff is in town.
From his actions since his reappointment, Danbatta has been passing message to industry operators that it is no longer going to be business as usual.
First, a week after his reappointment, the chief regulator quickly announced the unveiling of a new strategic management plan, SMP. He said the action was in line with his objective of creating a seamless strategy to augment effective management and regulation of the telecommunications sector.
Hi-Tech checks revealed that the SMP leverages on the National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy, NDEPS, as well as the new National Broadband Plan, NBP, 2020 – 2025 Roadmaps.
It covers the guiding principles and act as the operations manual for the Commission towards actualising the digital economy agenda of the Federal Government in the next five years.
Essentially, the SMP which the commission said was developed in-house with the stamp of the Management and Board is a visioning document of the Commission for planning, monitoring, analyzing and assessment of the Commissions goals and objectives in the next five years.
It was also gathered that the SMP will be resident in the Corporate Planning, Strategy And Risk Management Department of the commission, to ensure that the contents of the document truly become the guiding principles for the Commission in the next five years.
Two days after the announcement, Danbatta launched the plan, in Abuja, and openly revealed that the SMP was a deliberate strategy designed to aid the NCC in driving its telecom regulatory mandate in the fast evolving telecoms industry, in the next five years. He said it will serve as a roadmap for the future of the Nigerian telecoms sector, taking into consideration the current and emerging trends in the industry and the numerous expectations of the diverse Stakeholders.
According to him, “the Federal Government’s economic diversification plans are focused on a robust digital economy, which will improve employment generation, as well as encourage innovation. This was a prime point in our minds during the formulation of the SMP. We have invested great time and effort in ensuring that this document is pragmatic, and I am very confident and excited in its completeness to successfully guide the Commission in achieving the set objectives. We are committed to the implementation of this SMP,” he added.
His boldness apparently impressed the Minister of communications and Digital Economy, Dr Ibrahim Pantami, who said: “I feel very excited for the fact that there is a serious improvement in the performance of NCC. The launch of this SMP 2020 – 2024 is a clear indication of that. When a parastatal is performing, it will create an innovative idea on how to be more successful. When a parastatal is not performing, you will not hear anything on how to implement policies and come up with different strategies and plans,” he said.
However, Pantami noted that despite the enhanced performance of NCC, there is a need for the Commission to redouble its efforts, challenge and ridicule its previous successes by setting new records through effective implementation of the SMP 2020 – 2024.
Top management reshuffle
Again, two days after the launch the EVC showed willingness to make changes in the sector. He started with an in-house reshuffle of his top management officers.
In one fell swoop, four directors at the commission were suddenly redeployed to different departments.
The directors affected, included the Director, Compliance Monitoring and Enforcement Department, Mr. Efosa Idehen; Director, Public Affairs Department, Dr. Henry Nkemadu; Director, Consumer Affairs Bureau, Dr. Ikechukwu Adinde, and Director, Research and Development, R&D Department, Mr. Ephraim Nwokonneya.
In the new order, Adinde is the commission’s new Director, Public Affairs Department, while Nkemadu resumes at the Research and Development department of the commission. Recall, he was a deputy director before he was promoted and moved to Public Affairs department in 2019.
Also, Idehen becomes Director, Consumer Affairs Bureau, while Nwokonneya is the Director, Compliance Monitoring, and Enforcement Department.
Sources close to the EVC said the reshuffle was motivated by a renewed confidence and willingness to break some eggs in order to prepare a sweet omelette for the industry.
The source said that the EVC moved Efosa to Consumers Affairs so that he can also strengthen the protection of consumers’ rights and interests. “You see that consumers are still complaining about data depletion, billing matters and other issues. EVC believes that from his robust knowledge in his previous department, Mr. Efosa will be challenged to demonstrate his skills in his new department to strengthen consumer protection, information, education,”
“Nwokenneya, who replaced Efosa, is coming from R&D Department but had been known to have worked in compliance department for many years, is expected by the EVC to bring fresh ideas on the table on how to ensure improvement in the areas of strengthening of compliance to SIM registration rules by the operators as well as general compliance in the telecoms sector in line with the Federal Government’s agenda to strengthen national security.”
He also said that bringing Adinde to Public Affairs department was also strategic considering the need to sustain the good reputation the Commission has been known for in effective communication of activities to all stakeholders
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Never Reveal These 6 Secrets About Your Personal Life To Anybody
- Kogi Gov’s Security Aide, Ariyo, Fired By Yahaya Bello
- 10 Things You Should Never Rush In Life, No Matter The Pressure.
- Tears, cheers greet rotation of troops in North-East
- 7 Things Your Boyfriend Does That Shows He Is Playing You For A Fool
- 7 Types of People You Shouldn’t Trust
- 10 Ways You’re Unknowingly Disrespecting Your Husband
- 10 Nigerian Celebrities With Many Children From Different ‘Baby Mamas’
- 7 things you should never Apologize for in Life
- Photos Of The US Prison Where Hushpuppi And Woodberry will likely be Detained
- ‘The Johnson’s’ Actress, Susan Pwajok, stuns fans with adorable new photos
- Hot! 5 Celebrities Rihanna has Dated
- Like Sister, Like Sister! Meet Bukunmi Oluwasina’s little sister who’s also an Actress
- Main Reason Why Drake drew Lil Wayne’s Tattoo on his Upper left arm
- 10 Signs Someone is Losing Interest in You
- Top 5 American Rappers who married their High School Sweetheart
- MAD O! Erigga Reacts As Scammers Try To Scam Him With Promise Of A Job Opportunity
- Bobrisky’s boyfriend buys him a brand new car for keeping their relationship secret (Video)
- Akwa Ibom Lifts Ban On Wedding And Burial Ceremonies
- Solskjaer Gives Update On Squad Ahead Of BourneMouth Clash
- APC Fires Back At PDP Over Claims Of Plotting To Derail Edo Election
- 20 Cute Photos Of Muyiwa Kosoko, Jide Kosoko’s Handsome Son With Late wife, Henrietta
- Falz Silences The Internet With A Question Only A Wise Person Can Answer [Details]
- Download Josh2Funny – Don’t Leave Me Mp3
- With Plastic Surgery, Who is More Beautiful Between Bobrisky and Nicki Minaj (See photos)
- 50 Cent Calls Out DJ Clue For Not Playing Pop Smoke’s Song – Warritatafo
- Every Essence mag exec named in exposé gone after tumultuous week
- Unveiling kid sensation Makayla
- 5 Shaquille O’Neal Endorsements You Might Have Forgotten About
- Who Is Kris Humphries Dating Now? Here’s What We Know About His Love Life After Kim Kardashian Split
- Omotola, Genevieve profiled in new books on leadership, success
- 2 die, 10 rescued, 2 missing in Lagos boat accident
- Staffer at Pennsylvania summer camp tests positive for COVID-19
- 5 Sitcom Stars Who Became Action Heroes
- Beyoncé Is In ‘Talks’ About a Destiny’s Child Reunion, Report Says
- Trump’s Ripped By Oglala Sioux President For Mount Rushmore Speech – Warritatafo
- New York reports 918 new coronavirus infections, its highest total since mid-June
- Women who specialize in buying and selling of babies caught in Port Harcourt while negotiating the sale of a two-week-old baby (video)
- The story behind America’s national hymn
- Bayern Munich confirm Thiago departure rumours
- UK scraps quarantine for some visitors as pubs set to reopen
- Martinelli signs new long-term contract at Arsenal
- Femi Adelusi emerges MIPAN president
- ’90 Day Fiance’: Deavan Clegg Asks Fans for Money for Breast Implants and a ‘Confidence Boost’
- Ringo Starr’s Biggest UK Hit Featured a Heavy Dose of George Harrison Guitar
- What Happened to Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross’ Reality Show?
- Japan seeks extradition of ex-Green Beret, son who aided Ghosn escape
- The first Black Lives Matter wave led to 2K extra black homicides — but new wave will be worse
- World’s ‘first’ Gold-plated hotel where tea is served in a gold cup opens in Vietnam (Video)
- The Papers: ‘Eat out to help out’ and PM calls for restraint
- Kelly Rowland says she ‘almost lost everything,’ went ‘rich broke’
- Brazil set to pass 1.5M coronavirus cases as cities reopen
- Many Lagosians Rush To Pick Money Thrown By Burna Boy (Video)
- Why Meghan Markle’s Thai Coconut Curry Recipe Is Going Viral
- Read charge sheet of Hushpuppi’s crimes as he appeared in court today