Matthew Kukah, Catholic bishop of Sokoto diocese has stated that Nigeria is yet to accept full democracy as its military background has continued to affect effective governance in the democratic dispensation.
Kukah who said this while speaking as a panellist during a citizens’ townhall on electoral reforms, a programme organised by YIAGA Africa on Tuesday June 30, averred that there is greed and the political interest in the country.
He added that the quarrelsome nature of the politics and the way the judiciary has now come to undermine the wishes of the people, suggests very clearly that we have very serious issues.
“We are mistaken in assuming that we have had a transition from dictatorship to democracy. We still haven’t. This is why we are showing all kinds of systemic malfunctioning.
“When we talk about political parties, we have assumptions. But the truth of the matter is that in our own case in Nigeria, we have the greed and the political interest.
“Clearly what we have in Nigeria, as we have seen with the occasional malfunctioning of the system midway through the journey, manifested in the quarrelsome nature of the politics and the way the judiciary has now come to undermine the wishes of the people, suggests very clearly that we have very serious issues with party discipline largely because what we call political parties in Nigeria are mere contraptions purely constructed to help to ferry the ambitions of people — a good number of who are really and truly ill-prepared for the discipline that politics and political party formations require.”
The Catholic Bishop went on to suggest two ways the country’s political challenges can be addressed.
“The first is for us to pay attention to the future. That is why this conversation is very important; that a new generation of Nigerians with a different view about our country, with a different set of skills and discipline, must begin to see politics in a much more noble form,” he said.
“The second point is for the judiciary itself to begin to think more in focusing on compelling politics and politicians to fine-tune their articles of discipline internally.”
Source: Linda Ikeji’s Blog
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- Do You Know That Hushpuppi Has Two Children ?. Meet Daisy, One Of Hushpuppi’s Beautiful Babymamas
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- 20-Year-Old Groundnut Seller And Rape Victim Gives Birth To Triplets (Photos)
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- YAWA! “I Don Make 6 Girls Cry This Year, My Target Na 20” Man Plans To Take Revenge On Other Ladies For what His Girlfriend Did To Him
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- Reps ask Army to release wife of Soldier who spoke out against Security chiefs
- COVID-19: Ekiti warns traders against displaying goods on road medians
- ‘The Great’ Renewed for Season 2 at Hulu
- Who Is Claudia Conway? 5 Things To Know About Kellyanne’s Daughter – Warritatafo
- WWE star Kane, known for mask, votes against mask mandate as mayor
- Formula One mogul Bernie Ecclestone becomes a father again at 89
- De Blasio calls budget process ‘thoughtful’ after it was ripped by Dermot Shea
- Gospel singer, Sammie Okposo and wife celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary (Photo)
- These massive sharks have teeth on their eyeballs
- 2023: I’m not part of new National Consultative Front – Olisa Agbakoba
- NBA will spend over $150 million on restart in Orlando
- Rep. Nadler cruises to expected Democratic primary win
- Video: Timo Werner reveals why he rejected Liverpool, Man Utd for Chelsea
- House rent agreement, C of O, others to carry stamp duty ― FIRS
- Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial/GOtv Boxing Gym Set to Open
- Will Smith Once Revealed the Secret Behind His and Jada Pinkett-Smith’s Lasting Marriage
- Airport in Taiwan offering fake flights for travel-starved tourists
- Staten Island Ferry to resume regular rush-hour service next week
- APC chieftains take action on suit against Oshiomhole
- Putin thanks Russians for ‘support and trust’ after vote
- President Buhari connected to Hushpuppi
- MCU Star Chris Evans Comments on Post-Marvel Life: ‘I Already Miss It’
- Missy Elliott Owns One of the Most Disliked Exotic Cars Worth Over $200k
- Police issues warning to non-travelers as flights resumes in Abuja, Lagos, others
- ‘Conan’ to ditch quarantine, tape at LA comedy club Largo
- Meghan McCain Turns on the GOP: “People Are Really Starting to Jump Ship”
- Prosecutors announce Ghislaine Maxwell charges at press conference
- Bukayo Saka signs new long-term Arsenal contract
- COVID-19: Positive cases, deaths spike as PTF lifts interstate travels
- ‘The Office’: Why 1 Character Still Gives Fans the Creeps