By Eguono Odjegba
THERE are indications that the management of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, is currently investigating some of its officers believed to have enlisted in the Service with forged state of origin and date of birth; both of which are standard official requirement for regular evaluation of personnel.
The development is coming on the heels of reported discovery of discrepancies in the personal data of officers across the rank and file in which two deputy comptrollers general, DCG, are believed to be involved. But constitutional and legal experts have posited that any attempt to pursue issues of state of origin beyond tolerable limits could backfire since citizens’ right under indigenisation law protects them against sanction. They noted that the official emphasis is on nationality and not on state of origin.
“If the said investigation is on falsification of age, those involved have case to answer, because it is criminal to do so. It is not same with state of origin, indigenisation allows citizens to lay claim on their birth states other than their state of progenitors or forebears”, an in-house source knowledgeable in legal matters and who does not want her name mentioned, said.
“When you want to clean the system, your approach must be right and above challenge. A man whose parents are from Borno State born and brought up in Ekiti State can claim Ekiti. He has a right to indigenise and the law protects him. What constitutes a citizen is nationality not state of origin. Is Gen. Sani Abacha ancestrally from Kano State? Is Gen. Ibrahim Babangida from Niger State? So if the probe lays too much emphasis on state of origin, people can challenge unfavourable recommendations made by it”, she posited.
There are concerns in the Customs that some of the geopolitical zones/states whose senior management quota are believed to have been filled by persons with doubtful claim to the zone, are feeling shortchanged, and want a reversal.
While the issue is believed to cut across states and zones nationwide, the present challenge is said to be between the South-South and South East geopolitical zones, in which one of the most senior management staff of DCG rank is currently battling to be off the hook. “By this deliberate and singular act of age and state falsification, the DCG (name withheld) had all these years in the Service fraudulently short-changed and continuously robbed the Southeast geopolitical zone of their rightful national quota and representation in the Nigeria Customs Service”, one of the aggrieved sources said.
The alleged scam was blown up following an investigative exercise conducted by the Human Resources Department on the directive of the Comptroller General of Customs, Col. Hammed Ali (retd), to scrutinise the documents of mid junior cadre officers suspected to have falsified their age and state of origin while entering the Service.
Those in the know of the workings of the Customs informed that the matter is not entirely new to the CGC, further informing that he has known for over two years that the two affected DCGs joined the Service with incorrect state of origin declaration.
While official sources say the idea of the investigative exercise is to purge the Service of corruption in pursuit of the CGC’s reform agenda, independent sources described the current probe as nothing short of vain glorification, cheap publicity or official propaganda.
A source at the NCS public relations department has, however, denied knowledge of the said probe.
Source: Vanguard News
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- “Did Your Husband Beat You Again” Reactions as Mercy Aigbe Shares new pictures with stitches on her head (PICS)
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Bobrisky’s Contender posts Picture Of Himself In Wedding Gown
- Gov. Cuomo produces old-school poster glorifying coronavirus response
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- Native doctor spotted taking his ‘girlfriend’ shopping in Benin (Video)
- 4.48M Nigerians Applied For N-Power So Far – Umar Farouq
- “I Don’t Have Any Account On Social Media” – Gov. Umahi
- Magu: Pastor Omale breaks silence on alleged laundering of funds for suspended EFCC boss
- Tesla stock soars as S&P 500 inclusion appears imminent
- COVID-19: Taskforce accused of extortion as Bayelsa begins enforcement of face mask use
- DeSean Jackson accepts 94-year-old Holocaust survivor’s invite to visit Auschwitz
- Will ‘Yellowstone’ Season 3 Be on Peacock?
- ‘Broken Heart Syndrome’ has increased during coronavirus pandemic
- The best of Naya Rivera’s ‘Glee’ moments and 29-year career highlights
- Elon Musk on why he’s still backing Kanye West for president
- We’ll expose more looters in Nigeria – IPOB vows
- Edo guber: ‘Mass defection from APC, end of road signpost for Ize-Iyamu’ – PDP
- Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes takes a hit selling NYC townhouse
- Ohio army veteran who refused to wear face mask dies of COVID-19
- 602 repentant Boko Haram members denounce membership
- COVID-19: Nigerian govt hints on Coronavirus being airborne
- [ICYMI] COVID-19: Lagos records 12 deaths within 24 hours
- My Wife Still Cooks My Meals And Serves Me Herself – Pastor EA Adeboye
- 602 repentant Boko Haram swears oath of allegiance to Nigeria
- Judge demands information on Roger Stone’s commutation
- PDP stakeholders speak on call for Abia Speaker’s resignation
- Gov. Cuomo produces old-school poster glorifying coronavirus response
- Christine Quinn reveals Justin Hartley, Chrishell Stause went to therapy before split
- Video: Fresh trouble for Magu
- Human Rights Group charges President Buhari to sack Akpabio, Malami
- Singer Waje Weighs In On Nigerian Men Who Won’t Allow Their Widowed Mothers Remarry
- Kansas father, girlfriend charged in murder of his 3-year-old daughter
- Omo-Agege explains reasons for passing Sexual Harassment bill into law
- Alaska Airlines flight turns around after passenger threatens to ‘kill everybody’
- Giants won’t sign Leonard Williams to long-term contract extension
- Edo: Mass defection from APC, signpost of defeat for Ize-Iyamu ― PDP