The COVID-19 pandemic derailed a lot of small businesses in New York City. But with smart thinking, Gotham-style grit and a devoted customer base, The Flagship Brewing Company on Staten Island has been able to keep the suds flowing.
The Island’s first local brewery in decades, Flagship was founded in 2014 by pals Jay Sykes and Matthew McGinley, who grew up sharing adjacent backyards in the North Shore neighborhood of West Brighton. Father and son craft beer fans Gary and Sam Angiuli joined in as operating partners.
The partners’ love of their home borough is celebrated in brews like their Pizza Rat pilsner — a collaboration with the Staten Island Yankees minor league baseball team, which has played games as the Pizza Rats. There’s been a chocolate stout made with crumb cake from the island’s venerable Holtermann’s Bakery as well as a brand-new hard seltzer line flavored with Ralph’s Famous Italian Ices, another SI staple.
Before COVID-19, the team had been focusing their efforts on draft beer. “Seventy percent of our business was selling kegs to bars and serving draft in our own taproom,” Sykes, 38, told The Post. “Back in March, overnight, that business dried up. We had to close our taproom, and nobody was drinking in bars.”
But just weeks earlier, they had acquired the materials to can their beer in-house for the first time.
“We saw the opportunity to produce more cans and ship them into supermarkets and delis. We immediately went to work on that,” Sykes said, adding that they also got a lucky break via a pandemic-driven change in New York booze regulations. “The State Liquor Authority said that we could deliver beer to people’s homes. Our business was impacted negatively, but by operating in a new way, we could stay afloat and stem the tide.”
The Flagship website was quickly updated to process orders. Faithful customers stepped up to place orders for home delivery and contactless pickup, and the brewery was able to keep going without laying off any of their four full-time brewery employees. They even brought on a four-person part-time canning team. The Paycheck Protection Program helped Flagship cover eight weeks of pay for workers, Sykes estimates, out of the 14 weeks that have elapsed since the coronavirus crisis hit New York.
Plus, customers got to enjoy Flagship under optimal conditions: “We delivered beer that was just five hours old. That is the way any brewer wants his beer to be experienced,” said Sykes, who got a Staten Island ferry tattoo inked onto his forearm as the beer biz was launching.
In fact, the Flagship crew found a silver lining in the coronavirus storm clouds.
“We brought in some new customers,” Sykes said. “People didn’t want to go to supermarkets early on [during lockdown] and they liked the idea that we delivered — we even sold a few small kegs to individuals. Plus, people were spending more time talking to friends and they discussed our product. Some people who drank mass-market beers, like Budweiser and Michelob, wanted to support a local business and gave us a shot. They initially did it out of the goodness of their hearts, liked our beer and became customers.”
Last week, old and new fans had the opportunity to quaff the drafts that made Flagship famous — plus a newly released Belgian mango IPA, just in time for summer. The al fresco taproom offers five picnic tables and a couple of standing barrels for visitors, who can also order fish and chips from O’Henry’s Publick House or ribs via DaddyO’s BBQ & Sports Bar (two neighborhood food spots).
Federal law enforcement officials on Tuesday revealed that they’ve been…
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- Message to Goodluck Jonathan: Assassins’ll attempt your life this year but’ll fail — Prophet Serimoedumu
- Otedola hosts DJ Cuppy, Temi and boyfriend, Mr Eazi in London (Video)
- Tijani Oniru, one of the sons of late Oba of Oniru attacked by “security men” (video)
- ‘Putin’s limo brand’ Aurus sedan gets smashed in epic crash test — Warritatafo
- Davido’s cousin Adenike receives a Benz as graduation gift from her dad
- Top NYPD cops call for Manhattan DA Cy Vance to appear at shooting scenes
- Watch Vanguard’s top stories in 60 seconds
- Nigeria records more COVID-19 cases as death toll rises to 645
- Two die in Anambra cult clash
- Some Rescued Chibok Girls Frustrated, Abandoned, Dropped Out Of School – MBF
- Bobrisky speaks Igbo, threatens to slap small boys who sends him DM professing their love(video)
- Davido’s cousin, Adenike Adeleke, receives a Benz as graduation gift from her dad
- Alleged poisoning: Family member reveals real cause of Deborah’s death
- The Royal Family Was Alarmed by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Spending Habits, Source Reveals
- Ajimobi’s fidau: Family denies Oyo dep gov access
- Sergio Ramos Talks On Referees Assisting Real Madrid To Stay Top Of LA LIGA Table
- Nigeria: Contribution of non-oil exports to economic growth
- The Rock Suffered a Tragic Loss With the Unexpected Death Of His Legendary Dad Rocky Johnson
- This is irresponsible and reckless- PDP knocks APC for calling for an investigation into Hushpuppi’s alleged links with some of its members
- Nigerian Man praises Hushpuppi in his latest post on Instagram
- Ned Nwoko Gifts Regina Daniels Brand New Bentley After Giving Birth (Video)
- Why Did Jessica Capshaw Leave ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ as Arizona Robbins?
- Kendall Jenner Looks Like a ‘Mean Girl’ on Instagram
- Gunmen kill 2, abduct APC chieftain, 9 others in Katsina
- Factions in APC might break it to pieces if… – Galadima
- Fatal lightning strikes plaguing India claim over 147 lives in 10 days, situation expected to worsen — Warritatafo
- “Homosexuality was not a crime in Africa before the colonisers came”- Bisi Alimi gay rights activist
- Dogs receive training to sniff out coronavirus infections
- Ogun COVID-19 cases hit 1005 – State govt
- Ondo SSG, Abegunde, Resigns his Appointment
- 2020 Hajj: Saudi announces rules, bans gatherings
- LaLiga: Barcelona speaks on Messi leaving Nou Camp
- Hushpuppi: $15.3m stolen by Woodberry from US companies may not be recovered- FBI hints
- Yung6ix Calls Out Bankulli For Charging Artists To Meet With Kanye West (Video)
- Lala Akindoju Criticizes Actors Guild Of Nigeria For Visiting Regina Daniels
- Benue State Governor, Ortom Mourns As 23 Die In Boat Mishap
- ’90 Day Fiancé’ Fans Think Big Ed Looks Like a Famous Teen TikTok Starlet
- Taraba crisis: Images reveals alleged killing, shooting of innocent civilians by military [PHOTOS]
- Alleged 6.9bn fraud: Absence of prosecution witness stalls trial of Fayose
- Wetin i do this man? – woman cries out as her husband beats her up, leaves her with a swollen eye (video)
- Arewa Youths call for reversal of Petrol price, give GMD NNPC, others 7 day ultimatum to resign
- Why I Haven’t Made Millions Of Dollars – Moyo Lawal
- Indian man wears $4,000 gold face mask during coronavirus pandemic
- 33- year-old woman buries her baby alive in Kaduna
- Coronavirus: School reopens in South Africa despite virus surge
- Ned Nwoko Gifts Regina Daniels Brand New Bentley After Giving Birth (Video)
- Beijing slams US for ‘flexing muscles’ in South China Sea as aircraft carriers sent to ‘celebrate Independence Day’ — Warritatafo
- Prince Andrew cancels annual golf trip to Spain after Ghislaine Maxwell arrest
- Nigerian group declares rape ‘a pandemic’
- How Former Benueâs First Lady Yemisi Suswam Is Raising The Standard in the World of Architecture
- Footballer electrocuted at a betting shop in Lagos
- French bus driver brain dead after assault for refusing maskless riders
- Transfer: Lille president predicts Victor Osimhen’s fate at Napoli
- Dope Grandpa! Veteran Actor Richard Mofe-Damijo Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today (PHOTOS)
- Do Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Want a Zoom Wedding?