When the four members of Led Zeppelin played their first shows together in 1968, they went by the name “The New Yardbirds.” And while that name wouldn’t last beyond a few concert dates it was an accurate description of the assembled musicians.
After The Yardbirds fell apart in early ’68, guitarist Jimmy Page was left holding the pieces. It had been whirlwind of a ride for Page since he joined the group as the Yardbirds’ bassist in ’66. Following the departure of Jeff Beck that year, he began experimenting as the group’s lead guitarist.
If you listen to the Yardbirds material from that period, you’ll notice riffs and songs that turned up on Zeppelin’s explosive 1969 debut. The list includes parts of “How Many More Times” and nearly all of “Dazed and Confused.”
But The Yardbirds didn’t die with the first Zep record. On the second side of Led Zeppelin III (1970), Page revived a Yardbirds song he’d written and recorded with the band in ’68. (They never released it.) The track was titled “Knowing That I’m Losing You” and became reborn as “Tangerine.”
Jimmy Page revived The Yardbirds’ ‘Knowing That I’m Losing You’
At the end of the Yardbirds’ run, the band had hit-maker Mickie Most as its producer, and everyone can agree now that it wasn’t a good fit. After a number of unsuccessful sessions, Most was out and Peter Grant stepped in, allowing Page to regroup and form Led Zeppelin.
However, before that final nail in the coffin, The Yardbirds did record live numbers and some demo tracks during one last American tour. And on the release Yardbirds ’68 (2017) Zeppelin fans can’t ignore the track “Knowing That I’m Losing You.”
From Page’s gorgeous 12-string intro to the various sections of the song, it’s a clear first run at “Tangerine” from III. But the song appears on Yardbirds ’68 as an instrumental. According to some of Page’s old bandmates, singer Keith Relf had written lyrics for the track.
No vocal appears on the Yardbirds release, so we can’t say how close the two versions are. Either way, we know how the song ended up on Zep’s third album with Page as the sole songwriter.
Page reworked the song as ‘Tangerine’ for ‘Led Zeppelin III’
While taking a break in remote Bron-Yr-Aur (Wales), Page and Robert Plant wrote a few songs on acoustic guitars that made their way onto the band’s third album. And the memorable “That’s the Way” was one of them.
When putting the album together, Page clearly wanted to revise his late draft that was “Knowing That I’m Losing You” for the new record. And it became “Tangerine” after Page thought of some new lyrics. The song fit in perfectly on side 2 of Led Zeppelin III.
The story didn’t exactly end there. At some point, Relf’s sister claimed that her brother deserved some type of credit for his work on the first version of “Tangerine.” And the Yardbirds ’68 release presumably settled the matter.
Musically speaking, there was never any question about the songwriter. In the end, “Tangerine” went down as a rare Led Zeppelin track credited only to Page. After writing lyrics (in addition to producing, arranging, playing guitar, etc.) in the early years, Page handed off that job to Plant for good.
Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Danjuma Breaks Silence On Frozen Account After Magu Arrest
- Embattled EFCC boss, Magu, threatens hunger strike
- Ned Nwoko is NOT The Father Of Regina Daniels Baby – Her Ex-Boyfriend Exposes The UNTOLD TRUTH
- “It Is Not My Fault Multichoice Wanted Me To Be on So Many Episodes, I’m Blessed” – KimOprah Reacts To Critics
- Mike Tyson Reveals His True Identity
- Mercy Johnson and Other Top Nigerian Celebrities Killed Simi Duduke Challenge
- Nigerian govt lists benefits of 5G network, says no going back
- EFCC: Magu clears air on N4bn allegedly given to Osinbajo
- What will you tell Yahoo boys,Reno ask Magu
- Popular Nigerian Celebrity Stumbles Over His Words On Simi’s Latest Slaying Photo
- See Ini Edo’s Reaction To Sick Ufuoma and Other Celebrities Who Cried Out For Medical Attention
- See Ini Edo’s beautiful sister who is beautiful as she is
- We’re afraid to confront Lucifer, Church of Satan founder —Abia community residents
- Funke Akindele did not buy me a house – Pa James Ajirebi cries out in new Video, spills the truth of what Funke Akindele did (VIDEO)
- “I’m Well Now”- Kunle Afolayan Says After Ini Edo Finally Replied His Message
- Instagram influencer, Poshnicki in tears as trailer crushes her less than 2-month-old SUV
- Osinbajo Must Resign If He Wants To Sue Me – Jackson Ude
- Naira Marley Signs Emo Grae To Marlian Music
- Actress, Linda Ejiofor welcomes baby with her husband Ibrahim Suleiman
- Download Korede Bello – Morire Mp3
- Italy bans entry from 13 countries over COVID-19 fears
- Hot Music: The Sarz Academy Ft. Wizkid & Sarz – Hold Me
- Top 10 Most Followed African Celebrities on Instagram
- Rapper, Pop Smoke’s social media led killers to LA home after he posted his address online by mistake
- Everything you need to know about today’s Champions League & Europa League draw
- ‘The Claudia Kishi Club’ on Netflix Celebrates the Coolest Girl in the BSC
- Court Remands Man For Alleged Rape, Impregnation of Disabled Girl
- Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Champ Joey Chestnut Reveals That Yes, His Butthole Hates Him
- Johnny Depp exes Winona Ryder, Vanessa Paradis expected to testify on his behalf
- France to restore Notre Dame Cathedral as it was before fire
- NJ high school gym teacher charged with having sex with student
- MDAs to get 50% allocation by July ending
- “I had my first s*x in a first class section of a plane”- Bobrisky
- Ryan Griffin went from Jets’ flyer to important Sam Darnold connection
- Courtney Stodden calls Brian Austin Green a ‘womanizer’
- “This Can’t Continue” Seun Kuti Frowns At Corrupt Practices In Nigeria
- UEFA: Champions League highest goalscorers revealed
- Baseball is back as Phase Three reopening continues: The Post’s week in photos
- 348 active COVID-19 cases now in Ogun – State Govt
- National Industrial Court reinstates two suspended university lecturers in Kogi
- Ondo APC Chairman, Ajayi, Steps Down, Joins PDP
- ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Gave X-Fans What We Waited For: Big, Purple Robots
- Brooks Brothers has two potential buyers amid bankruptcy filing
- I am sure Magu has secrets that could blow up Nigeria, some powerful forces want him dead – Bamgbose
- Police nab suspected killer of Zamfara doctor
- Unidentified lady allegedly used for ritual purposes seen displaying signs of madness (video)
- Rema Blasts Critics Over New Song “Woman”
- Spotify is crashing with other iPhone apps, Facebook glitch suspected
- “Never tell your secrets to a woman in love” Actress Lisa Omorodion berates ladies who tell their friends’ secrets to their significant other
- Brandis Kemp, ‘Fridays’ and ‘AfterMASH’ Actress, Dies at 76
- Family and friends of Naya Rivera ‘in disbelief’ over her disappearance
- Mega-contract says Patrick Mahomes can’t do ‘pretty much every physical activity’
- COVID-19: WHO gives update on 19 potential vaccines
- Trump doubles down on threat to cut funding for schools that don’t reopen
- DJ Jimmy Jatt Is Coming Back With Digital Lagos Party