It’s still called the New York Times, but good luck finding any section of the print edition that’s devoted exclusively to news from New York.
The paper’s March 23 edition ran a “Note to Our Readers,” in which it said the New York section would not be appearing that day. It hasn’t returned since.
“There is no separate New York section,” the March 23 note said as the coronavirus had begun ravaging the city and was seemingly the only story in town. “New York coverage is included as part of the Tracking an Outbreak section on pages A4-A13.”
That was the last time the New York section was mentioned, and there has been no note to explain where it went.
The Metro desk, overseen by Associate Managing Editor Cliff Levy, has long been viewed as a stepchild to a paper that always seemed more interested in national and international news.
Publisher A.G. Sulzberger is said to be no fan of Metro or New York as a separate section, since local stories tend to pull less traffic on the Web.
In 2008, the Metro section lost its stand-alone status, but still had its own heading on several pages of news in the section that fronts the paper. There are estimated to be more than 50 editorial staffers on the desk, following voluntary buyouts two years ago to the department’s editorial staffers.
In Tuesday’s paper, one page of the five pages devoted to coronavirus carried a “New York region” label. But most days even that tip doesn’t appear.
“In the beginning, it made a lot of sense, it was obviously all COVID, all the time,” said one source. “But New York is not ground zero for coronavirus coverage anymore. And they still have not brought the pages back.”
“It feels strategic,” the source added. “Maybe they don’t intend to ever bring it back. Maybe they feel it will be better to have stories sprinkled throughout the paper.
A Times spokeswoman did not return a call seeking comment.
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- “Ole Ni Everybody” Naira Marley Mocks EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu Over His DSS’ Arrest
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- Dj Cuppy bags an endorsement deal with Platoon Music
- EFCC: Place Magu on watchlist – Fayose tells Buhari
- Rob Kardashian Is All Smiles During 4th Of July Party With Pals After Debuting Weight Loss
- Edo Polls: No Free Dollars For Ganduje, APC To Loot – PDP
- Ekiti State govt promises to collaborate federal institutions in safety and service
- “He is my best friend” – Mo Bimpe opens up on wedding to Lateef Adedimeji
- Imo community protests incessant killing of farmers
- NIDCOM reacts to the viral video of a Nigerian man who was tortured and threatened to be killed by Pakistani drug baron’s his brother ripped off
- Bus driver beaten by passengers refusing to wear face masks left brain dead
- WAEC lists requirements for conduct of exams in Africa
- Reps probe illegal withdrawals from NLNG by NNPC
- UN slams US drone killing of Qassem Soleimani as ‘unlawful’
- See Why Magu was removed
- Tonto Dikeh Reacts To Photo shop Picture Of Her, Bestie
- Nigerians react to suspension of Ibrahim Magu by President Buhari
- Meghan Markle Didn’t Like Being No. 2 to Kate Middleton and Not Getting the Attention ‘She Deserved’ Before Royal Exit, Source Alleges
- 52-year-old woman, Rolanda Rochelle photos go viral on the Internet
- Runtown and Sudanese-Australian model, Adut Akech, 20, spark relationship rumours with loved-up videos
- Lakers saved ‘very depressed’ JR Smith after NBA gave up on him
- China’s national security law for Hong Kong aims to block global criticism
- COVID-19: WHO gives latest update on Nigeria, South Africa, others
- City Won’t Win Treble With These Mistakes – Guardiola
- Bryson DeChambeau favored to win all three golf majors amid jaw-dropping surge
- ‘The Umbrella Academy’ Star Tom Hopper Always Has These Foods in His Kitchen
- BREAKING: Reopen all churches now – CAN warns Governors
- TECNO Wraps Up Spark 5 Talent Hunt, Giving Away 1 Million Naira
- Magu probe: Nobody is above scrutiny ― Presidency
- UK pedophile who raped baby, shared sick video online gets 18 years in prison
- Was BTS’ ‘Stay Gold’ Inspired by ‘the Outsiders?’
- Cassie Randolph speaks out on Colton Underwood breakup
- Hilary Swank Goes to Mars in Netflix’s ‘Away’ Teaser Trailer