The food delivery wars are back on.
Just three weeks after its offer to buy Grubhub crumbled, Uber is going on the offensive with a plan to steal its former potential partner’s Big Apple clients, The Post has learned.
Starting on Tuesday, Uber’s food delivery arm, Uber Eats, began telling New York City eateries that it will waive marketing fees and all other non-delivery fees through Oct. 31 — a promotion that sources say could help Uber pick off Grubhub’s restaurant clients in its largest market of NYC.
“That’s a way to take share away from Grubhub,” one industry insider said, noting that the majority of Grubhub’s NYC customers tend to handle their own delivery and stand to pay zero commissions through October if they switch to Uber.
Uber will still charge a 15 percent commission for food deliveries. And since the vast majority of Uber Eats’ existing clients tend to rely on it for delivery, the promotion will only cost it about one-quarter of its total NYC revenues, sources said.
Big Apple restaurateurs say they could sorely use the savings, especially with sales having plummeted due to coronavirus lockdowns that have largely shuttered sit-down dining operations.
Dan Abrams, who operates JG Melon in the West Village and Sirenetta on the Upper West Side, told The Post he will start using Uber if it will indeed save him money.
“At this point, everything is a simple math equation about how I can save more money,” said Abrams, who has been using Grubhub and its Seamless unit for deliveries during the pandemic.
Uber’s promotion is timed to coincide with a food delivery fee cap implemented earlier this month by the NYC City Council and the mayor to help alleviate costs for restaurants struggling to survive the coronavirus.
Source: New York Post
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Why did you lie? Nnamdi Kanu replies Femi Adesina
- Akeredolu Reacts To Strike Threat From Ondo State Workers
- BREAKING: Leader of ‘One Million Boys’ shot dead in Ibadan
- Nigeria election: Dasuki opens up on ‘campaigning’ for Buhari, ‘supporting’ APC, Tinubu under Jonathan
- NNPC worker discovers anti-hypertensive herbal remedy that reverses hypertension, lowers BP, others [SPONSORED]
- Notorious gang leader, Abiola Ebila killed in Ibadan
- Actress Ini Edo gets her Akwa-Ibom state appointment renewed
- Daughter of Texas cop killed in ambush slammed for tweeting #bluelivesmatter
- Ramón Vilar: Levante Club Director is dead
- Actress Rita Dominic shares more stylish new photos to celebrates her 45th birthday
- Olivia Culpo reveals newest member of her family with Christian McCaffrey
- Gernot Rohr says 2022 World Cup year will be a difficult year for Super Eagles
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, daughter has tested Covid-19 positive
- 22-year-old lady buys her husband an expensive car (photos/video)
- 20 Years after Warri War, Ijaw, Itsekiri demand justice from oil
- Oyo’s Most Wanted Criminal, Ebila Killed In Ibadan Attack
- Actress Mimi Orjiekwe Gets A Lexus LX570 SUV For Her Birthday
- Wofai Fada opens up on how she received her Mercedes Benz G- Wagon from a Man
- Wolves defeat Everton at home to boost chances of qualifying for Champions League
- Vidal goal keeps alive Barcelona title hopes
- Ize-Iyamu laundered 700 million without contracts-EFCC
- Darius Rucker and wife Beth Leonard split after 20 years of marriage
- Amotekun: Hunters threaten boycott over online registration
- Lady discovered she was pregnant on the day she gave birth
- Buhari told to sack Buratai now
- Yankees’ Gerrit Cole lauds Gary Sanchez as domination grows
- Run, Ngozi, Run!
- Magu Should Carry His Cross — Nigerian Police
- Soaring disrespect for cops means big trouble for the most vulnerable New Yorkers
- It’s not just police: Public servants of all stripes are now under assault
- The speech police go after the peanut gallery
- How Congress can get the next COVID-relief bill right
- 774,000 Jobs: 20 man selection committee inaugurated in Taraba
- New York horse-racing bookies land millions in PPP loans as critics cry foul
- Pregnant Youtuber, Nicole Thea Dies With Unborn Baby at 24
- Controversial Clint Frazier makes admirable mask pledge
- Joints, disjoints and dislocations in the Buhari government
- Free speech is under threat and other commentary
- Only public-private partnership can bridge Nigeria’s housing deficit — Akintunde
- Iran agency says chain of errors caused Ukrainian plane crash
- Father, son duo involved in Ghosn great escape denied bail
- President Buhari told to sack the Chief of Army Staff, Buratai now
- Lampard ‘concerned’ after stunning 3-0 defeat to Sheffield United
- 571 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria
- Ethiopia to restore toppled UK bust of Emperor Haile Selassie
- British MMA star, Jahreau Shepherd tragically dies at the age of 30
- Landing right withdrawal: Nigeria to review Air agreement with UK, others
- “Magu’s probe targeted at Tinubu, Osinbajo” – Fani-Kayode Says
- Lisa Marie Presley’s son Benjamin Keough reportedly dead in suicide
- Lisa Marie Presley’s son, grandson of Elvis, reportedly dead in suicide
- Adrian Wojnarowski’s ESPN suspension will last two weeks
- Length of Adrian Wojnarowski’s ESPN suspension revealed
- Everton’s Ancelotti laments ‘unacceptable’ 3-0 loss to Wolves
- Militants kill four Pakistani soldiers in Afghanistan border clash
- US Catholic Church received $1.4bn in COVID-19 stimulus loans