The United States has bought nearly all the available global supplies for the next three months of anti-viral drug remdesivir, one of two drugs that have proven to be effective against COVID-19.
The US Department of Health Services (HHS) announced on Monday it had secured
more than 500,000 treatment courses of remdesivir from drugmaker Gilead Sciences for US hospitals until September.
The stocks make up 100 percent of Gilead’s projected production for July and 90 percent each for August and September.
Read Also; Rio to allow football fans from July 10
“President [Donald] Trump has struck an amazing deal to ensure Americans
have access to the first authorized therapeutic for COVID-19,” HHS Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement.
“To the extent possible, we want to ensure that any
American patient who needs remdesivir can get it.”
Remdesivir, which is administered intravenously in hospital, is the first drug to show improvement in COVID-19 patients in formal clinical trials,
and new information about its efficacy is being closely watched around the world, as nations battle the coronavirus pandemic.
In May, US regulators allowed the emergency use of the experimental drug that appears to help some patients recover faster.
The drug has received full approval by Japanese health regulators.
US approval requires a time-consuming Food and Drug Administration review,
but Emergency Use Authorisations can be used in a health crisis when other options are not available.
There are currently no US approvals for treatments or vaccines for the new coronavirus that has infected more than 10 million people
and killed nearly 500,000 worldwide, including more than 127,000 deaths in the US.
Dozens of companies are working on a variety of treatment and vaccine approaches.
Remdesivir, which previously failed as a treatment for Ebola, designed to disable the mechanism by which certain viruses,
including the new coronavirus, make copies of themselves, and potentially overwhelm their host’s immune system.
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES
Follow us on Instagram for more updates @wotzupng
What will make you commit suicide?
- We are not from the Zoo, we are Biafrans – Idoma People Declares (video)
- Watch The Adorable daughters Of Actress Nadia Buari Help Take Out Her Braids (Video)
- Lady dies in fatal accident in Suleja, her identify unknown
- Toyin Abraham and Husband, Kolawole Ajeyemi get Romantic while Dancing (Video)
- APC: How we rigged Ondo Election to make Akeredolu Governor in 2016 – Abegunde
- COVID-19: Another lockdown possible, if… ― FG tells Nigerians
- I was paid N5,000 to murder medical doctor in Zamfara – Suspect
- Akuapem Poloo Speaks After Her Arrest By The Police
- Popular Actor Uche Maduagwu Shades Tacha
- Regina Daniels & Other Nollywood Actresses Who Had A Male As Their First Child
- See Tonto Dikeh’s Reactions After She Saw A Photoshopped Photo Of Herself & Bobrisky
- Hushpuppi: Protesters storm US Embassy, demand arrest of Atiku, Dino Melaye [PHOTOS]
- New Song: Sound Sultan – Fayaa Fayaa Ft. Duktor Sett
- Teddi Mellencamp Reveals Daughter Dove Needs To Have Neurosurgery – Warritatafo
- Disinfection Of Schools To Begin Tuesday, FG Reveals
- Herbalist Used Pastor For Ritual In Osun State (Video)
- Transfer rumours: Rice, Koulibaly, Skriniar, Milinkovic-Savic, Ake, Edouard
- New Update on makeup artist, Deborah Tushima, who was poisoned at her birthday party over iphone 11, slupmed and died while dancing – Family explains what led to her death
- Davido’s cousin, Adenike, gets Benz gift from dad as she graduates
- Lizzo Kicked Out Of Vacation Rental & Accuses Landlord Of Police Threats – Warritatafo
- Brittany Matthews reacts to Patrick Mahomes’ monster Chiefs contract
- Bandits surrender as Nigerian Army destroys terrorists’ hideouts, captures logistics’ supplier [PHOTOS]
- Man shot dead in Bronx while walking with 6-year-old daughter
- Jon Gosselin Explains Why Collin Is Missing From 4th Of July Photo – Warritatafo
- Ebuka Obi-Uchendu announces he has been confirmed #BBNaija season 5 host
- New Interview – Warritatafo
- Disney Star Sebastian Athie dies at age 24
- Russian navy to receive some 40 warships this year
- NGO campaigns against rape in Abuja
- ‘Athlete A’: What Is the New Netflix Documentary About?
- Kanayo becomes a lawyer after passing law school
- Yankees are battle-proven for craziness of 2020 MLB season
- New York father fatally shot while holding daughter’s hand (Photos)
- Prison officials want to ensure Ghislaine Maxwell doesn’t meet same fate as Epstein
- #Coronavirus: Boris Johnson criticised over care home comments
- State govts responsible for COVID-19 patients’ evacuation — NCDC
- KJ Apa Shows Off His Dancing Skills & Beard In New TikTok Video – Warritatafo
- Covid-19: Teaching staff exempted from Kano worker’s resumption order
- COVID-19: FG dispatches 17-member team to C/River
- PACAC releases preliminary report on Magu’s invitation by presidential Panel
- I Masturbate When I Breastfeed My Son” – Woman Confesses [Read Here]
- Expert claims Americans will wear masks for ‘several years’ due to coronavirus
- Official Video: Zinoleesky – Mapariwo
- Dax Shepard and Monica Padman Defend ‘The Good Place’ Producer Megan Amran Over Racist Tweets
- ‘NCIS: Los Angeles’: Sweetest Things LL Cool J and Chris O’Donnell Said About Their Friendship
- See photos of Yankees star Gerrit Cole’s ‘adorable’ baby boy
- Domestic flights will no longer serve meals aboard — Aviation minister
- ‘Temptation Island’: Morgan Lolar Claims Evan Smith Tried to Steal Her Engagement Ring While She Slept
- Nigeria records 575 new cases of COVID-19
- Rising inflation threatens FG’s N5.1trn revenue target
- New SEC boss prioritises investor protection
- Study links fruit juice consumption to higher nutrients in children
- Charlie Daniels, Singer of ‘The Devil Went Down to Georgia,’ Passes Away
- The ‘Kissing Booth 2’ Trailer Has Fans Questioning Whether Elle and Noah End Up Together
- Nigerian couple who drilled a nail into the head of their 10-year-old maid remanded in prison (photos)