Vanna White is more than the glamorous and elegant co-host of Wheel of Fortune. When she’s not revealing letters on the puzzle board (and clapping a lot), you’ll find her working at one of her favorite hobbies – crochet!
When White began co-hosting Wheel of Fortune in 1982, it had been many years since she’d picked up her crochet hooks. But one day backstage, she saw her pregnant hairdresser crocheting a baby blanket, and asked if she’d help her brush up on her skills, reigniting her love of crochet.
How Vanna White got into crochet
White was born on February 18, 1957, in Conway, South Carolina. Her grandmother taught her to crochet at the age of 5, but she eventually lost interest in the hobby. After high school, White worked as a model and was a contestant in the Miss Georgia USA pageant in 1978. In 1982, Wheel of Fortune was looking for a new co-host, after the departure of original hostess Susan Stafford. White beat out more than 200 applicants to ultimately become Stafford’s successor in 1982.
After the hairstylist backstage got her back into crocheting, White was thrilled to hone the craft. She did so so well, in fact, that she’s practically ambidextrous because of it! “The funny thing — which I didn’t realize at the time — is that she was left-handed. I’m right-handed, but I watched and copied her movements, and I’ve been crocheting left-handed for the past 37 years.” White told AARP in 2019.
She crochets everywhere
With her busy schedule, you might wonder how White has time to crochet. But the truth is, she crochets everywhere she goes! White brings projects with her to doctor’s office waiting rooms and on airplanes, and also keeps one in her car and by her bedside. She even crochets behind the puzzle board during breaks on Wheel of Fortune!
“I love to crochet afghans. I have made countless afghans over the years as gifts for friends and family. I put a tag in each one that says ‘Handmade for you by Vanna White.’ I think that handmade gifts are so meaningful and more valuable to people than the most expensive store-bought product. I love the look on people’s faces when I give them a blanket for a new baby or an afghan for their home. I have this one friend who has a 13-year-old, and I made a blanket for him when he was a baby. After 13 years, she tells me that he still loves it. That means everything to me.” White said in an interview with Etsy in 2008.
She donates half the proceeds from her yarn line to charity
During an appearance on The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson in 1986, White told guest host Joan Rivers about her love of crochet. Years later, White was approached by Lion Brand Yarns to create her own line. Launched in 2007, Vanna’s Yarn Family now includes Vanna’s Choice, Vanna’s Glamour, and Vanna’s Pallettes. It’s available at craft stores nationwide. When creating her yarn line, White knew she also wanted to give back. She went to Memphis, Tennessee, to visit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
“During my visit, I met some of the patients and their parents. I learned that St. Jude saves the lives of children, but it also does tremendous research to find cures for cancer and other diseases. And the hospital takes good care of the whole family. The St. Jude staff members were warm and friendly and helpful. It was just amazing. Once you go to the hospital, how can you say no?” White writes on St. Jude’s website.
White donates half the proceeds from her yarn sales to St. Jude’s. In 2018, White and Lion Brand Yarn reached an incredible $2 million in donations.
Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- Jada Pinkett Smith Addressed Swinging With Will Smith Rumors Before August Alsina Rumor
- Christian Slater Net Worth and How He Became Famous
- ‘The Office’: Rashida Jones Thought Fans Would Hate Her After a Karen and Jim Scene, But It Never Made the Cut
- New Song: Jagor Moh Ft. Mr Bee – Reason
- Zuckerberg: Advertisers will be back to Facebook ‘soon enough’
- We lost 8,370 members to Boko Haram attacks Church
- Reps Probe Ports Authority Over $1bn Secret Account Claim
- Gov Bello’s aide Siaka Oyibo dies at 69
- Supreme Court to decide if Congress gets full Mueller report
- Mawuli Gavor Is A National Cake – #BBNaija’s Khloe
- Ladies, See 4 Types Of Bras That Are Bad For You And 5 That Safe To Wear.
- Crypto vulnerability allows bad actors to double-spend and pickpocket users’ wallets — Warritatafo
- ‘The Crown’ Season 4 Release Date and Cast
- COVID-19: Ayade, excos celebrate ‘no case status’
- Carrie Underwood Once Swore She ‘Would Never Marry’ Someone Like Mike Fisher
- You are stupid if you have six packs and broke – Bobrisky
- Off-duty NYPD sergeant busted for striking bicyclist, shoving man
- Florida State University tells staff they can’t care for kids while working remotely
- Methodist Church petitions IGP over continues invasion of armed robbers in sanctuary
- Los Angeles school police chief resigns after board approves budget cut
- Photos of 8 Nigerian celebrities who look a lot like their fathers
- Please don’t participate in these 7 dangerous Internet Challenges for your own Safety
- The EPL has done well with #BlackLivesMatter campaign – Olamide Baron
- Tyler Cameron Shows Off His Ripped Abs While Skimboarding: Video – Warritatafo
- Demi Lovato mourning the death of her grandfather
- David Foster’s daughters reveal their only issue with his wife Katharine McPhee
- This is the ideal penis size to make women climax: survey
- Novak Djokovic, wife Jelena cleared of coronavirus after Adria Tour fiasco
- Politicians playing games with COVID-19 – Gov Bello
- BREAKING: APC caretaker committee meets Akande
- Suit Against Oshiomole Dismissed by High Court
- Dolph Lundgren Nearly Killed Sylvester Stallone in ‘Rocky IV’
- Kendall Jenner stuns in Burberry bodysuit for self-photographed campaign