On Sept. 22, 2013, millions of viewers tuned in to Dexter for the last time to see what would happen to its titular character. After eight seasons of watching him commit dozens of murders around Miami, it made sense for Dexter Morgan’s story to end in either prison or death. But show creators went all the way left-field and showcased something that no one saw coming.
The ending frustrated many fans who had been committed to the show for seven years and gained recognition as one of the worst finales in television history. In hindsight, a lot of people think the alternate ending would have been more fitting for Dexter.
The ending of ‘Dexter’
Dexter was preparing to leave Miami with his girlfriend Hannah and son Harrison when he learned that his sister Debra had been shot. Debra seemed fine at first but surgery complications left her comatose and on life support. With essentially no chance of recovery, Dexter decided to pull the plug, leaving him emotional and feeling responsible for his death.
Not wanting to see anyone else in his life hurt, Dexter distanced himself from Hannah and Harrison. As they headed to Argentina without him, he took Debra’s body out to sea and dumped it. He then drove his boat straight into the eye of a hurricane, making it seem like he was going to kill himself. But it turned out that he was only faking his death. He moved to Oregon and found work as a lumberjack.
While fans had hoped for a certain ending, show creators have said that they didn’t have much of a say in terms of closing Dexter. Producer John Goldwyn previously admitted to Vulture: “They won’t let us kill him. Showtime was very clear about that. When we told them the arc for the last season, they just said, ‘Just to be clear, he’s going to live.’”
The alternate ending of ‘Dexter’
Former showrunner and producer Clyde Phillips told E! News in 2013 that he had something completely different in mind for the series finale.
He envisioned that, “In the very last scene of the series, Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, ‘Oh, it was a dream.’ And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, ‘No, it’s not a dream.’ Dexter’s opening his eyes and he’s on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary.”
“They’re just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery. And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he’s arguably responsible for, Rita, who he’s arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there,” Phillips continued.
“That’s what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we’ve seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter’s execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion,” Phillips added.
Phillips wound up leaving the show after season 4 but even if he stayed, it’s hard to imagine that this ending would have happened given Showtime’s stance. Still, many fans have said that it seems like a much better conclusion to Dexter’s story.
“Way better,” read one tweet. “I’m just going 2 pretend this is how it ended.”
“The alternate ending would have been a million times better,” another tweet said in part.
Echoing that, another person wrote, “That ending would have been infinitely better!!”
Is there any chance of a ‘Dexter’ reboot?
Fans have been hoping for years that Showtime will make it up to them with a reboot. However, there aren’t any solid plans for one just yet.
Actor Michael C. Hall has said that he would be open to reprising his role in the future, but only if the storyline is right.
“It’s a possibility given how the show ended that we could revisit Dexter,” Hall explained to Variety in 2018. “I have just yet to, for my part, imagine or hear someone else’s idea that makes it feel worth doing. But never say never.”
Source: Showbiz Cheat Sheet
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- This 32-year-old who Has Both Male And Female S 3 x 0 r g a n s Cries Out, Here Is What Happened To Him (Video)
- EPL: Real Madrid left-back, Reguilon chooses Chelsea
- BBNaija: Erica Breaks Up With Kiddwaya, Few Days After Having Fun With Him
- EPL: Arteta chooses between Willian, Coutinho
- Arsenal plan to make 55 staff redundant
- EPL: Paul Scholes names player Manchester United should sign instead of Sancho
- Boko Haram supplier arrested in Borno
- Dortmund issues update on Jadon Sancho’s move to Man Utd
- EPL: Solskjaer confirms Alexis Sanchez deal
- Nigerian govt reacts to video of stranded Nigerian ladies in Saudi Arabia
- Popular Slay Queen Grows Lean After C0ntracting HIV/AIDS
- I was tempted to touch, says pastor accused of raping fellow pastor’s daughter
- BBNaija 2020: Erica breaks up with Kiddwaya
- Most of all this Loans was taken by Goodluck Jonathan – Amaechi Claims
- #BBNaija2020: ”Shut Your Mouth” Ozo Clashes With Fellow Housemate, Prince (Watch Video)
- Soldier Arrested For Criticising Tukur Buratai Feared Dead As Chief Of Army Staff Allegedly Attempts Cover Up
- Europa League: All the teams that have qualified for quarter-finals so far
- Gov Dapo Abiodun Has Sold Ogun State To Christians – MURIC
- ‘Man Utd is in my blood’ – Jesse Lingard reacts to Europa League victory
- Fire engulfs popular Ajman Market in UAE, destroys goods worth millions
- BBNaija: Kaisha tells Laycon why he failed to have Erica as girlfriend
- ‘Nigeria will break if North refuses South presidency in 2023’
- Biden’s campaign knocked on zero doors this week — while Trump’s hit one million
- #BBNaija2020: Nengi, Kidwwaya, Dorathy And Team B Housemates Wins N2 Million
- Inter chief Marotta confirms permanent signing of Alexis Sanchez
- Security malaise and post Covid-19 Nigeria
- Why Did Max Leave ‘Catfish’ and Who Is the New Host Kamie Crawford?
- BBNaija 2020: I may be evicted on Sunday – Wathoni
- Over 40 #RevolutionNow Protesters Arrested In Abuja
- Netflix star, Daisy Coleman dies at 23
- Akwa Ibom PDP commiserates with APC over Chairman’s demise
- Singer Burna Boy Set To Release 5th Album Titled ‘Twice As Tall’ On 14th Of August
- NYC exploring public takeover of school buses — with one company linked to de Blasio
- United, Inter reach Europa League last eight
- Inside NYC’s pandemic beach brouhaha: Meet die-hards who arrive at sunrise
- Ganduje lauds Buhari over Kofa’s appointment as Federal Housing ED
- BREAKING: Popular Market In Ajman, United Arab Emirates, Razed By Fire
- Watch As Man Refuses To Kneel While Proposing To Girlfriend (Video)
- Osimhen’s agent reveals why Napoli hitman picked Number 9
- Osimhen to get €2.5m if Napoli win Champions League
- RevolutionNow protest an ‘irritation, child’s play – Buhari’s aide, Femi Adesina
- BBNaija 2020: Make your relationship with Nengi open, you’re causing tension here – Wathoni tells Prince [VIDEO]
- Edo: Obaseki loses another appointee as SSA resigns, joins Ize-Iyamu
- Nigerians react as US alerts of ISIS, Al-Qaeda invasion
- NIDCOM Chairman, Abike Dabiri-erewa Replies Toyin Abraham For Saying Nigerians Should Not Be Subject To Suffering
- Bride’s Photo Shoot Interrupted By Massive Blast In Lebanon (Video)
- Controversial Photos Of Ladies Dressed As $exy Catholic Nuns [See Video]
- I Need To Get Married This Year But I Don’t Want To Marry A Broke Guy – Nigerian Lady Reveals
- Boko Haram: Ex-Senate President, Ebute writes Governors, reveals reason for resurgence of terrorists [Full letter]
- Don’t Wear Miniskirt To Yaba Market”- Nigerian Lady Cries Out [Read Why]
- Gov Abiodun hands Ogun State over to Christians – Islamic group blows hot
- State Department inspector general resigns after predecessor’s ouster
- Singer Dotman Debunks Having More Hit Songs Than Olamide
- NALDA Partners Abia To Boost Agriculture
- JUST IN: Edo House Of Assembly Complex Taken Over By Police
- US offers $10m for information on election intruders
- No plan to absorb repentant Boko Haram fighters into military – Presidency
- Police take over Edo Assembly complex (photos)
- Toyota expects 64% fall in annual net profit amid pandemic
- Nigerian Survivor Of Lebanon Explosion Calls For Help From Nigeria (Video)
- Singer Dotman Denies Having More Hit Songs Than Olamide
- Woman pretending to be blind is exposed and apprehended in Ebonyi state
- Facebook deletes Donald Trump’s post falsely claiming children are immune to Covid-19
- If Your Boyfriend Doesn’t Beat You, Then He Doesn’t Love You, I Can’t Date A Guy Who Doesn’t Beat Me’ – Nigerian Lady declares (Video)
- We will join Nnamdi Kanu to demand for the creation of Biafra if South-East doesn’t get the presidency in 2023- Former PDP chairman, Okwesilieze Nwodo
- Africa: Nearly 300,000 Active Covid-19 Cases Across Continent After 8.5 Million Tests
- BREAKING: Police take over Edo Assembly complex
- AY Comedian Weighs In As DSTV Moves NTA To Channel 419
- U.S. Warns Nigeria As Al-Qaeda Infiltrates North-West
- Minister of power, Sale Mamman confirms Nigeria attained a new record peak generation of 5,377.8MW of electricity