On Wednesday, July 1, foreign exchange turnover at the Investor and Exporters (I&E) window continued with its downward slide as it dropped by 28% day on day. This is according to data from the FMDQOTC, an exchange where forex is traded by foreign investors and exporters.
According to data tracked by Nairametrics, forex turnover fell from $14.37 million on Tuesday, June 30, 2020, to as low as $10.37 million on Wednesday, July 1, 2020, representing a 28% drop on a day-to-day basis. This is a second consecutive day of decline this week and also the lowest turnover recorded in the I&E window since last week.
This further reinforces the volatile and uncertain nature of the foreign exchange market with trading volumes apparently irregular and piling pressure on the exchange rate at the NAFEX market and by extension the parallel market.
Forex Liquidity Issues.
The volatility and uncertainty of the forex market seem to persist due to liquidity shortages across markets. Liquidity remains quite tight in the foreign exchange market, with the average turnover in the I&E market significantly down to about $45.5 million in the month of May compared to $297.5 million that was recorded in January.
As we have so often reported, accumulated demand for forex in the market is thought to range between $1.5 and $5 billion depending on which analyst you are speaking to. Forex shortages have persisted since the crash in oil prices coincided with the global lockdown due to COVID-19. The rise in demand and contrasting drop in supply has called for another round of devaluation, which the CBN has insisted it has plans to implement. A devaluation last occurred in March. The activities of the speculators seem to have continued unabated.
Speculators have thus patronized the parallel market, otherwise known as the black market, thereby widening the gap between it and the I&E window. The CBN maintains that the perceived demand cannot be substantiated as the lockdown induced by the COVID-19 pandemic suggest demand should be low due to travel restrictions and drop-in economic activities.
The further decline in liquidity could further fuel speculations in the black market where the exchange rate has traded at a premium of N60+ over the last few weeks. The CBN claims most of the demand being cited is not represented by any official documentation and that it has informed foreign investors with genuine forex demand to be “patient” and that they will get their forex.
In related news, the exchange rate at the I&E remained stable on Wednesday, closing at N386.50 to a dollar, which was the same rate that was recorded on Tuesday, June 30. The opening indicative rate was N387.08 to a dollar on Wednesday. This represents a loss of 2 kobo when compared to the N387.10 opening rate recorded on Tuesday.
At the black market where forex is traded unofficially, the naira depreciated further by N2 to a dollar to close at an all-time low of N462 to a dollar on Wednesday, as against the N460 to a dollar on Tuesday, the lowest Naira value in 3 years. The exchange rate at the beginning of the week was N460 to a dollar. By crossing N46, the exchange rate has broken a psychological ceiling going past N460 for the first time ever.
Nigeria continues to maintain multiple exchange rates comprising the CBN official rate, the BDC rates, and the NAFEX (I&E window). Nairametrics reported last week that the government is mulling unifying the multiple exchange rates in a bid to increase the amount available for state governments to share.
The depreciation of the Naira in the black market can be attributed to the shortage of dollar supply which is outweighed by demand as that puts further pressure on the forex market. The negative impact of the coronavirus pandemic on global oil prices has constrained the CBN’s capacity to intervene satisfactorily in the foreign exchange market as dollar inflow has slumped.
The forex scarcity and drop in revenue put pressure on the value on the naira despite CBN’s effort to maintain stability across the forex segments. The CBN is expected to continue with its intervention in the foreign exchange market to ensure market stability.
Source: The Street Journal
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Or WhatsApp +2348132405535.
- Champions League: Owen blasts Messi, Suarez, others as Barcelona eliminate Napoli
- BBNaija: More Drama As Dorathy Warns Prince To Be Careful The Moment She Saw Tolanibaj – Video
- BBNaija: Watch Kiddwaya Pepper Laycon Again By Showering Erica With Morning Kisses In His Presence (Video)
- BBNaija: WATCH The Moment Nengi Received An EPIC Grind From A Male Housemate During Yesterday’s Party
- BBNaija: “Nengi And Ozo Are Avoiding Me” – Prince (Video)
- BBNaija: Throwback Video Of Mercy Eke And Noe Show How Close Were
- BBNaija: WATCH The Lovely Moment Dorathy & Brighto Took Over The Dance Floor With Their Dance
- Messi reduced Koulibaly’s transfer fee – Twitter rips Napoli star after Barcelona thrashing
- Del Piero, Gattuso react to Andrea Pirlo’s appointment as Juventus manager
- Instagram shadowban: What does it mean for Tacha and her brand?
- “I Spread Out My legs So Fast Especially When I See Car Key” – Lady Says (Watch Video)
- BBNaija: Wathoni Finally Spends The Night In Eric’s Bed (Photo)
- The Blind Liberian Boy Adopted By Flavour Has Undergone Remarkable Transformation, See Recent Photos
- BBNaija: Tolanibaj Warns Prince To Avoid Wathoni And Nengi, He Says “NO”! (Video)
- “My Yansh Don Heal” – Yoruba Lady Shows Off New Shape After Her C0smetic Surgery Went Wrong
- MASKED, 60-YR-OLD WORSHIPERS:Controversy as Lagos churches reopen today
- Check Out Terry G’s New Look After Shaving Off His Dreadlocks (Photo)
- Arsenal offer to pay off Ozil’s £18m contract
- 8 SAD Moments Ghanaians Will Never Erase From Their Memory
- Between Regina Daniel’s Baby And Simi’s Baby, Who Do You Think Is Cuter? (Photos)
- Cristiano Ronaldo breaks silence on Champions League exit, Sarri’s sack
- BBNaija: The Moment Praise And Lucy Mocked Laycon When Erica Tried Kissing Him – Video
- BBNaija – Kiddwaya Turns A Hairdresser To Help Erica Wash Her Hair
- #JusticeForKiddwaya Trend As Nigerians Blasts African Magic For Tarnishing Kiddwaya’s Image Over Laycon And Erica
- Check Out The Real Cause Of The Lady Who Died A Day After Her Wedding (Photos)
- BBNaija: Moment Rivals, Laycon And Kiddwaya Put Aside Their Differences And Hugged Each Other (VIDEO)
- BBNaija: Among Laycon, Prince, Dorathy, And Wathoni Who Is Suffering The Most From This Entanglement
- Nkiru Sylvanus Is Back To Crying Roles. See Pictures Of Her On Set (Photos)
- Champions League: Lewandowski set to break Ronaldo record after Chelsea win
- BBNaija: ”Laycon Is Slow, He Is Not In Love With You” – Kiddwaya Tells Erica In A Video
- Destiny Etiko Caught Flirting With Pete Edochie As She Sits On His Laps
- BBNaija: Stunning Photos Taken From Last Night’s Party In BBNaija House
- Champions League: All teams confirmed for quarter-finals, full fixtures
- BBNaija: Erica tried to kiss me – Laycon
- ‘Her Smile Is My Definition Of Success’ – Actor, Bolanle Ninalowo Gushes Over His Wife
- BBNaija: Why Laycon Was Forced To Sleep In The Garden Last Night (Video)
- Champions League: Hazard under attack after Real Madrid’s exist
- VIDEO: Buruji Kashamu laid to rest, as sympathisers defy COVID-19 protocols
- #BBNaija2020: Erica Tried To Kiss Me But I Stopped Her – Laycon
- Nkechi Blessing Reveals The Best Part Of Her That People Usually Get In Love With
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Pelosi calls Trump’s emergency COVID-19 executive orders ‘unconstitutional slop’
- FG Set To Create 5million Jobs- Osinbajo
- BBNaija: The Lovely Moment Brighto Was Spotted Doing Dorathy’s Nails
- BBNaija Winner, Mercy Eke Hit 1.7 Million Followers On IG
- Appointment Of Judges In Nigeria Is Influenced By The Upper Class- Osinbajo
- Terry G Debuts New Look After Cutting Off His Dreadlocks
- New Zealand reaches 100 straight days of no COVID-19 transmission
- Solskjaer confirms Jones to miss rest of Europa League campaign
- Obasanjo’s COVID-19 test result revealed
- Peter Okoye Reacts To The Death Of His Former Manager, Howie T
- Gunfire erupts at Washington D.C. party, killing one and injuring at least nine
- BBNaija – Kiddwaya Turns A Hairdresser To Help Erica Wash Her Hair
- Yankees place Giancarlo Stanton on injured list with hamstring injury
- Willian confirms Chelsea exit as Arsenal move looms
- Willian Pens Emotional Departure Letter To Chelsea Fans
- I’ll support reforms that will reduce my powers on judicial appointments – CJN Ibrahim Muhammad
- BBNaija 2020: What I’ll do if evicted tonight – Nengi
- Popular Nigerian Filmmaker, Sauci Narrates How He Escaped Death From An Accident Allegedly Caused By Lagos Police
- Film maker, Okiki Afolayan gifts wife Bimbo Afolayan a Lexus SUV for her birthday
- Ivana Trump vacations in the Hamptons for the first time in 10 years
- COVID-19, a blessing in disguise, God knows about virus – Anglican Bishop, Okere
- Encomium as remains of Buruji Kashamu laid to rest
- Willian confirms Chelsea exit, as Arsenal move draws near
- Reds vs. Brewers prediction: Take Under in pitchers’ duel
- Two die in auto crash in Anambra
- Simon Cowell Hospitalized, Undergoes Surgery After Electric Bike Accident in Malibu
- Kai Havertz agrees five-year contract with Chelsea
- Insecurity: Buhari turns to traditional leaders
- Tottenham makes move for Arsenal star after Gunners’ board overrule Arteta
- Popular musician, Terry G shows his new look as he cuts off his dreadlocks